CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ESL Type 1 problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 320 2000
ESL Type 1 problem

Problem:
Very infrequently (twice) the ESL is apparently sticking or the lock pin does not go all the way to the unlock position....key will turn but car wont start. By trial and error, I removed the cowl under the steering column, and felt the motor on the ESL move. I tapped the housing on the ESL with a hammer and screwdriver and it worked. Nine months later, it did this again. I fixed it the same way by tapping on housing. I have seen videos on youtube where they claim this ESL can be removed and replaced with an ESL emulator (only on the older models-mine is a (CLK320 2000).....cheap fix at about $30.00, but seems too good to be true!

I also have seen the tiny motor being replaced that moves the lock and a threaded pin. This seems difficult and only a band aid of some sort. I would assume you have to have the ESL to operate the car? I don't care if the steering wheel locks or not....can you remove it and/or just the pin, and if so, could someone let me know how big a job that is? Is there a part number someone knows for replacement?

This has only happened twice but I feel it will happen again soon...won't be good depending on where it happens! Thanks for any help, insight or ideas anyone can give!!!!

Last edited by towerstud; 03-19-2015 at 06:55 PM. Reason: no one viewing?
Old 03-20-2015, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
This is the first post I have seen for this type of problem, now you have me curious.

How many miles on your W208?

Intermittent motor problems is likely the motor, rapping is a good way to wake up a bad starter as well. Same problem just a smaller electric motor on the ESL I suppose.

Cheers
Old 03-20-2015, 05:29 PM

clk 320 2000
It has 175k. The motor for the drivers seat quit working a few years back...same fix, just tapped on it with a ratchet, and it has worked ever since???

btw, I have always heard the pin clicking as it should, it just must not disengage fully.....
Old 03-20-2015, 08:15 PM

2000 E320
Towerstud, did you have the solution to your ESl problem Yet.? I have a 2001 E320 with the ESl stuck in the open position. The steering wheel can spin freely with the key out of the ignition. The key can be turn in the EIS, but the car would not crank. I just order a ESL emulator on ebay. I'm waiting for it to come to try it out.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:03 AM

clk 320 2000
I haven't "fixed" it permanently, so I am still trying to figure out a reasonable repair once I know everything about the ESL. I will be very interested in your results on the ESL emulator. That solution seems too easy but I hope it works! Like I said, all I have to do is tap on it and it starts functioning properly. I received a suggestion that might work in my situation, as I think my ESL might be slightly gummed up preventing it from engaging/disengaging. He suggested drilling a small hole in the side and injecting some very light oil into it....seems like an idea that could help? Based on a youtube video I saw, supposedly my ESL (type 1 which is square/boxy in shape vs type 2 which has circular shapes on the housing) can be removed and once the emulator is installed, the key will start the car.....again, seems too good to be true but I could care less if the steering wheel locks, I just want the car to reliably start. Surprisingly, I have found very little on this subject, so it might be a time issue, where it will start happening more frequently as these cars age. The thing that gets to me is that if someone takes their car into a dealer for repair, they start throwing parts at it until they get a fix, usually they would replace both the ESL and EIS, and whatever else they feel like adding in that day, which could reach several thousands very quickly. I feel very lucky that I found my band aid until I find the cure. Let me know how your emulator works out......good luck!