CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Code P0600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
Unhappy Code P0600

Hello everyone,

Im dealing with this code P0600 (Serial Communication Link Malfunction) and I heard it's VERY hard to diagnose what the problem is..
I have been searching for answers for the past 2 days and no Answers found /or solved!

I did a battery Reset and the problem went away (been 1 day so far, I hope it stays this way).

Any idea what causes it?

Ps: When it happened, I was driving on the highway and the SEL started to flash on and off and the temp gauge went down and up none stop and the fan was soooo loud. everything else was working fine.

Thank you in advance !
Old 08-20-2015, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
The ECM did not detect communication between modules

- Faulty Engine control Module (ECM)
- Faulty Signal pickup Activation Module (SAM)
- Wiring in a ECM harness is open or shorted
- Poor electrical connection or ground
- Low battery voltage

CANBUS issues are very difficult to troubleshoot, diagnose and repair. Especially true for controllers that use voltage encoding (e.g. multiple voltage levels on a single wire to control multiple functionality).

Took me a while but finally fixed this one.

-Lamp out warning.
-None of the lights on trunk lid were operational (e.g. backup, 3rd brake light, rear fog, license plate etc.).
-Opening the trunk w/ engine off, turned on the outside mirror motors and the radiator fan at full speed.
-Opening the trunk with the engine running, additionally lit up the dash like a XMas tree w/ relays clicking away etc.

Opened up the wiring harness, located between the trunk lid and quarter panel, from it's protective sleeve and found a large brown wire cut in two. Brown is MB color code for ground and this wire was the ground return for the entire trunk lid's electricals. Cut the wire out and replaced it with a more flexible wire (e.g. more strands of finer gauge wire).
Old 08-23-2015, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Serndipity
The ECM did not detect communication between modules

- Faulty Engine control Module (ECM)
- Faulty Signal pickup Activation Module (SAM)
- Wiring in a ECM harness is open or shorted
- Poor electrical connection or ground
- Low battery voltage

CANBUS issues are very difficult to troubleshoot, diagnose and repair. Especially true for controllers that use voltage encoding (e.g. multiple voltage levels on a single wire to control multiple functionality).

Took me a while but finally fixed this one.

-Lamp out warning.
-None of the lights on trunk lid were operational (e.g. backup, 3rd brake light, rear fog, license plate etc.).
-Opening the trunk w/ engine off, turned on the outside mirror motors and the radiator fan at full speed.
-Opening the trunk with the engine running, additionally lit up the dash like a XMas tree w/ relays clicking away etc.

Opened up the wiring harness, located between the trunk lid and quarter panel, from it's protective sleeve and found a large brown wire cut in two. Brown is MB color code for ground and this wire was the ground return for the entire trunk lid's electricals. Cut the wire out and replaced it with a more flexible wire (e.g. more strands of finer gauge wire).
Thank you for the reply as well
Im assuming u did the brown wire due to the trunk light ect right?
In my case all is working well but the fan is so loud and the temp gauge goes up and down..
So after 2 days of doing the battery reset, the light came back on along with the fan and temp gauges goes up and down...I took it to 3 diff shop and could not fix it, they told me i have to go to dealer and download the software then I should be able to find the prob. They tried to clear the code and code came back after 15 seconds .
So when i got home, I opened the fuse box in the engine bay (driver side) and I swapped the 2 yellow relay and car is working well now. Code is gone, fan is fine and temp is normal again
Any idea what are these 2 yellow relays for and how much r they? Hoping now the car will last longer. The P0600 is an annoying code
Old 08-24-2015, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
The purpose of mentioning the broken brown wire I found in my trunk lid / quarter panel hinge, was not to diagnose your issue, but to illustrate the complexity of trouble-shooting the CANBUS and voltage encoding (e.g. prior to repair, not only was the broken trunk lid ground return the cause of all of my trunk lid lamps being out, but also caused additional peripheral maladies to downstream CANBUS connected modules, when I opened the trunk).

Mechanically, the W208 has been pretty bullet proof. Most of the problems have been with the electrical's, which will only increase as these cars age.

Good to hear you have made great progress trouble-shooting your issue.

What's commonly known as the driver side fuse block, F1, located in the engine compartment is an integrated module consisting of fuses and relays (K40) as well as SAM (N10)....see included enclosures. Note: The specifics may vary by coupe vs. cabriolet, model year year etc.
Attached Thumbnails Code P0600-capture.jpg   Code P0600-capture2.jpg  
Old 08-24-2015, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Serndipity
The purpose of mentioning the broken brown wire I found in my trunk lid / quarter panel hinge, was not to diagnose your issue, but to illustrate the complexity of trouble-shooting the CANBUS and voltage encoding (e.g. prior to repair, not only was the broken trunk lid ground return the cause of all of my trunk lid lamps being out, but also caused additional peripheral maladies to downstream CANBUS connected modules, when I opened the trunk).

Mechanically, the W208 has been pretty bullet proof. Most of the problems have been with the electrical's, which will only increase as these cars age.

Good to hear you have made great progress trouble-shooting your issue.

What's commonly known as the driver side fuse block, F1, located in the engine compartment is an integrated module consisting of fuses and relays (K40) as well as SAM (N10)....see included enclosures. Note: The specifics may vary by coupe vs. cabriolet, model year year etc.
Thank you so much for replying back and ty for the attacements.. Gonna take a pic and post it and just double check with you if you dont mind