CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Convertible top bareley works, pump very noisy.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 CLK430
Convertible top bareley works, pump very noisy.

So I thought that I had a leaky cylinder, and I may, but today I wanted to lower the top and have the wife look at the bow cylinders for leaks. The top barely functions, and the pump motor makes an awful racket. We were unable to determine if there was a leak, the top would only go down about half way before the pump couldn't lift the top any further. So I put it back down, pump grinding away, the pump couldn't lift the rear bow without assistance.

The rollbars I assume work off the same pump, but they will go up and down and the pump isn't nearly as noisy.

I have not had a chance yet to take the rear panel off to get to the pump to inspect.

Does this sound like a pump issue or is there something else I should look into?

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2015, 02:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 CLK430
After ripping into it, the pump was practically dry and the leak is from the rear bow latch cylinder. Good news is I can rebuild this cylinder, and I learned how to manually work the top which is super simple.