CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

320Cab came in yesterday - wrong car! Vic55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 03:02 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
320Cab came in yesterday - wrong car! Vic55?

After waiting 14 months my "car" finally got in yesterday - completely wrong.

Color of the top was wrong, it had a COMAND which I told them to take out after they blamed it on the delay (and they said ok), and it had a K4 which I NEVER EVER requested.

So the dealer first said he could give me another salesman's CLK, though it had already been assigned to another buyer, and he could guarantee it if I filled out the "paperwork" there. I didn't because I was wary.

Then he told me that a car much more similar to my specs was coming in in two weeks (he showed me the vista, so I believe him), and he said he could give me that one 100% if I signed the "paperwork" - that car was assigned to one of that particular salesman's other clients. If he could REALLY guarantee it I'd do it, but I don't know what to think.

Really, I just want the car I ordered 1.2 years ago, but I'd settle for hte other one - he wants a response quickly (obviously), what do I do?

The dealer is in Downtown LA, btw, so I figure Vic55 may know...

Thx all.
Old 12-02-2001, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
It looks to me like Downtown LA is trying to pack you a little or they may have sold your car to cover another screw up on their part- just like they are trying to pawn another unit from another salesman's deal to you.

You did the right thing by not signing the contract. Unless they give you what you want you may want to try some other dealers. The problem is that the car you want is in limited quantities and high demand and by trying to get your car at another dealer you will pay more than sticker. Any CLK cab at a dealer is usually pre-ordered-- thus sold. I know that Penske had one "on the ground" (not spoken for) but they were selling it for 10k over sticker since they are so rare- and they'll get it.

If the price is correct and they (Downtown LA) can put the car to a contract then sign it but make sure you dont start your payment cycle until you take delivery. Once you have a signed a contract there is no cooling off so you are bound but in turn so is the dealer in regards to delivering the car to you.
Old 12-02-2001, 03:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Dude, this is incredible, it only took you 5 mins to respond... I owe you big time.

Anyway, I'm also guessing they sold my car early, that should explain the "unexpected" delay of 3 more months - according to the REGIONAL manager it should have been here in September. Will call him on Mon.

So I'm guessing since they were able to sell my car they can sell the other guy's to me - he said MSRP, my one concern is that the car will be in LA in 2 weeks and suddenly "gone" too... I can't wait that long anymore, my Ford is all but dead...

So here's my plan of action - I will FIRST find financing, preferably on the web (peoplefirst or sthg) since my credit is very good.

I will THEN sign a sales contract for that other clk not to take effect till the car gets here... at full cash price, not financing.

Will that sales contract with the other guy's car OBLIGE them to sell it to me instead of somebody else (like they're doing right now)?

Thanks so much for all your help!
Old 12-02-2001, 05:05 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Make sure its a retail installment contract and the VIN# of the car is on the contract. If they can't produce the VIN# then they may not be able to produce the car.

This will put you into the "option" mode where once you take delivery of the car you will have 7-10 days to come up with the cash to pay for the car or financing (depends on the dealer terms). Dont use their financing unless they offer you their "buyrate" which is the rate the bank offers the dealer. They may try to make reserve on you by raising the rate. When they run your credit, get your FICO score and make sure they are using the lowest rate associated with your score. Anything over 700 is Tier 1, 660-699 is Tier 2, and anything under those numbers will mean higher interest rates. But in today's economy even a Tier 4 client still gets a rate under 10%.

If you are searching the web, go to ELoan.Com- they offer competitive rates and can approve you in minutes. My associate has a over 700 Fico credit score and was approved in 5 minutes. Three days letter he had the financing check in his hands. I believe credit unions are throwing down rates in the low 5's (%) for credit worthy clients.

Good luck and enjoy the cab.
Old 12-02-2001, 05:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Thank you so much once again... two last questions, then I'll prolly be done harassing you

1. What does "retail installment" mean?

2. If the VIN on the contract matches the one on the vista (with the car scheduled to arrive in two weeks), does that legally oblige them to hold it for me? Or could they just do what they're doing right now and sell it to someone else when it comes in and just go "sorry, no car, no contract"?

Thanks again...

BTW, I just drafted a complaint letter to MBUSA and the regional mgr, since my first choice would STILL be a silver/silver which I can't get... if you wanna take a look at it I'd be eternally grateful

BTW2 my FICO on experian is 750 but on Transunion and Equifax around 690 - I'm hoping
Old 12-02-2001, 05:51 PM
Administrator

I don't mind helping, thats why I am here

The Retail Installment contract is basically a finance contract not a lease contract- It will have the terms of your financing and all the associated taxes and fees as well. In your case there will be no terms but just one cash payment since you are seeking financing elsewhere. Oh and let me know how it goes with ELoan also. Most banks use Experian as their deciding factor as to what tier you will get. I am surprised in the disparity on your scores. What I mean is that usually all 3 bureaus are within 10-20 points of one another.

If they match the VIN with the VIN from the "vista" or the sticker sheet then they have to deliver that car to you or the contract is null and void. They can't enforce a contract with a VIN# that is not the same. I think once you sign the contract then they will be forced to deliver the car. Have you talked to the GSM or GM of the dealer about your concerns??
Old 12-02-2001, 06:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by Vic55
I don't mind helping, thats why I am here
You've been more of a help in the last two hours than everybody at that damn company put together during the last 14 months!!

associated taxes and fees as well. In your case there will be no terms but just one cash payment since you are seeking financing elsewhere. Oh and let me know how it goes with ELoan also.
Makes sense. I assume they won't mind "changing the contract to a regular financing if for some reason I decide to have them finance instead of eloan...

I'll let you know re eloan. Also gonna try peoplefirst, heard good things about them.

I think once you sign the contract then they will be forced to deliver the car. Have you talked to the GSM or GM of the dealer about your concerns??
That's my concern - I *WANT* that car. I know that if it does oblige them to sell it to *me* then the original orderer will be screwed over, though I don't think they care too much. The point is that I want a guarantee that they really will have that car for me by end of the month before they mess around any more...

I drafted a complaint letter to the GM as well as RM which I plan to fax on Monday morning to see if we can reach a more amicable solution...

So I guess when I talk to the salesman about my second-choice car I'll make sure to let him know I want the retail installment contract, then... just as long as they really are obliged to sell it to *me*! I just wish there were a way to get my SILVER car instead of the substitute black one

PS -
Most banks use Experian as their deciding factor as to what tier you will get. I am surprised in the disparity on your scores. What
Due to a laptop loan - the laptop company only reported to Equifax and Transunion, not Experian... don't ask, I don't know either - I highly recommend experian's credit monitoring plan, btw, that's how a 22-year-old like yours truly managed to have such a high credit score - the simulator tells me that it should be somewhere around 770 by mid-Dec since I paid off all bills in Nov
Old 12-02-2001, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
DAMAN

My suggestion would be to take the silver CLK with the Command option.

Have the dealer eat the K4 option (even though the xenon headlights turn night into day) and you eat the wrong color top.

You'll find that the command option is the best deal going, - from the function and design point of view. The talking GPS in 7 languages is simply AWESOME!!

Perhaps the dealer will throw that one in as well. Try, you may get it free.

REMIND those MB personnel (jerks) of how long you have been waiting!!
Old 12-02-2001, 06:48 PM
Almost a Member!

THAT would be an acceptable compromise - I just have a problem with paying $1650 for lights and heated seats and that funky "headlamp wiper blades" thing, living in LA.

Why do you think they'd eat that cost, though? Any reason you can give me would be great... I'm working on a letter to them where I state all the ways they've lied to me and specify a silver/silver or MINOR variation W/O COMAND OR K4 as acceptable compromise, nothing else... I'm thinking of adding your suggestion to the list.

Pls advise... appreciate it!

BTW, they will NOT throw the K4 and GPS in for free... and I won't seem unreasonable by asking for that, great as it would be
Old 12-02-2001, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by DaMan
THAT would be an acceptable compromise - I just have a problem with paying $1650 for lights and heated seats and that funky "headlamp wiper blades" thing, living in LA.

Why do you think they'd eat that cost, though? Any reason you can give me would be great... I'm working on a letter to them where I state all the ways they've lied to me and specify a silver/silver or MINOR variation W/O COMAND OR K4 as acceptable compromise, nothing else... I'm thinking of adding your suggestion to the list.

Pls advise... appreciate it!

BTW, they will NOT throw the K4 and GPS in for free... and I won't seem unreasonable by asking for that, great as it would be
They probably won't eat anything on your deal. If you special order your car, which you did, then most if not all dealers only charge sticker. But if they get an order cancellation they will mark-up the price or mark-down the price based on the unit cancelled. In your case, the car will be marked up sizeably and they will get the price they want because CLK Cabs are HOT- kind of like the way the E55 was a few years back. There are a ton of rich folk who hate to wait and will pay the premium to get the car on a whim- in California I see your car lasting only a few days if you cancel it.
Old 12-02-2001, 07:03 PM
Almost a Member!

True dat, my bargaining chip is that the car they sent me is NOT the car I originally ordered, so it would be a courtesy to... well, you get the drift. I hope they (Downtown LA Motors) care A LITTLE about what the RM and MBUSA think about them...

I'll get *****ing tomorrow, see what happens... I'll keep you posted!

Any other hints you wanna send my way?
Old 12-02-2001, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by DaMan
True dat, my bargaining chip is that the car they sent me is NOT the car I originally ordered, so it would be a courtesy to... well, you get the drift. I hope they (Downtown LA Motors) care A LITTLE about what the RM and MBUSA think about them...

I'll get *****ing tomorrow, see what happens... I'll keep you posted!

Any other hints you wanna send my way?
I believe you are all set to tackle this monster. If you have a signed agreement by the dealer to deliver the car on a specific date and they failed to do this- it could be construed as breach of contract in some legal markets. You may or many not want to play that card as once you lawyer up they will get mad and probably urinate in your gas tank

Good luck and enjoy the dealership experience, I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.
Old 12-02-2001, 08:39 PM

2001 CLK 320
Wrong car

Without a doubt, I would get Mercedes Benz of North America involved. It is probably the last thing that the dealer wants you to do, since this whole scenario will not sit well with MB. If you get them involved before you sign a contract they may be able to offer some type of assistance, but even if they put a rush on a corrected build order you are still looking at a long wait. On the other hand, waiting to talk to them later will accomplish nothing other than making life difficult for the dealer. Personally, I would consider talking to them beforehand and seeing if there is anything at all they can do. I am really sorry to hear this and wish you the best of luck.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Here's a copy of the letter I'm sending the GM. I will inform him that I will not send the letter to anybody outside the dealership yet, in case we can find a satisfactory solution first.

To: MBUSA Customer Service

Cc: David Lee, Danny Aden, Reggie Bunagan, Better Business Bureau of California

Re: Dealer misrepresentation and false claims

Dear Sirs:

In October, 2000, I ordered a silver CLK320 Cabriolet from Downtown LA Motorcars in Los Angeles, California. I paid my $1000 security deposit and was told that the wait would be approximately 6-7 months.

ca. 6 Months later I called the dealership to find out what the status was when Reggie Bunagan, my sales rep, informed me that there would be a minor delay due to the COMAND system I had ordered. No specific date was given.

About a month and a half later I called again to find out if a delivery date was already available, upon which Reggie referred me to Paul (last name unknown) in finance who told me the following:

1. The reason for the delay of the COMAND had to do with – I am not making this up – “Russians scrambling and interfering with American GPS signals”, as a result of which MB had to “redo the GPS software”. I will not go into further detail, but my Master’s Degree in Computer Engineering tells me that there are several things wrong with that statement, and they are not just technical.

2. Paul then asked me how I planned to pay for the car (mind you there was no available delivery date yet!) and I politely told him most likely cash, though I wasn’t certain and will deal with it when the car is there. He was very rude and condescendingly told me that I was “grown up” and “should know” that by leasing or financing I would be able to grease the wheels and he could respectively bump me up in the waiting queue.

After this conversation I decided that it was no longer fruitful to work directly with the dealership and so spoke to the regional manager, Danny Aden, who very cooperatively told me he had discussed this matter with the sales manager David Lee who was more than displeased with Paul’s behavior. I was also finally given an expected delivery date of late August/early September. As a precautionary measure, however, I decided to have the COMAND removed to avoid any further delays. Both Danny and Reggie assured me that was not a problem as the car was not in production yet, and so the feature was deleted from my order.

I called the Downtown LA Motors in August to find out how the car was doing and spoke to David Lee, who told me it was on the vista and scheduled to arrive in DECEMBER, over two months later than the date Danny Aden had given me. Suffice it to say I was not happy, but waited nonetheless.

On December 1 Reggie finally called me to tell me the car had arrived and was waiting for me at the lot. I excitedly went to inspect “my” car merely to find that a) the top had the wrong color, b) it DID have a COMAND, and c) a K4 package worth over $1600 had been installed without my request. This was NOT the car I had ordered and waited for this long.

Amidst all these complaints I would, however, like to say that Reggie Bunagan himself was very pleasurable to deal with and, aside from consistently giving me wrong delivery dates, I believe has been very honest and understanding with my concerns and I would not hesitate to work with him again - at another dealership. Last we spoke he was looking into finding me a close match to my original order at an acceptable price and I sincerely appreciate that, though I am hesitant to sign any more requested paperwork, much less preemptive sales contracts, before an amicable solution is found.

As you can imagine this entire experience has been more than disappointing for me, and I would expect more from Mercedes, whose customer treatment should reflect the high quality of their cars. The only satisfactory solution will be to receive a silver 2002 CLK Cabriolet with a grey top and no COMAND or any K-packages within the next 30 days at or below MSRP. I will even reluctantly consider minor variations at the same price. After waiting for well over a year and consistently being given incorrect information I believe this is not too much to ask for.

Sincerely,

Me.
Thoughts?
Old 12-02-2001, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Looks good, you could also send it to the Department of Consumer Affairs. They tend to be advocates of "Caviat Vendidor" (I hope that was correct) which means let the seller beware.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Good one, I'll add that. NB, would you happen to know the best place at MBUSA to address this to? I figure a "Bob Smith, MBUSA Customer SVC" has more impact than just "MBUSA CS"...
Old 12-02-2001, 10:33 PM

2001 CLK 320
Wrong car

You might try getting the name of the factory rep for your area. (Another dealer in the area would probably be a good source for his name and number) If he can't help you he certainly can give you the name of someone at MB who can. Again, I'm really sorry about this and good luck.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:35 PM
Almost a Member!

It's Paul, the a-hole who gave me the bs about the "russian" GPS issues. No help there
Old 12-02-2001, 11:05 PM

2001 CLK 320
Wrong car

In my area, the factory rep is an MB employee who travels from dealership to dealership. His job is basically to listen to and resolve customer complaints that the dealership is unable to handle. Was the fellow who told you about the Russian GPS an MB employee or was he working for the dealership?
Old 12-02-2001, 11:37 PM
Almost a Member!

No, he was working for the dealership... I may have misunderstood you, in which case I will call another dealer tomorrow to find out his name.

Thx!
Old 12-03-2001, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Thumbs up

Why do you think they'd eat that cost, though? Any reason you can give me
would be great... I'm working on a letter to them where I state all the ways
they've lied to me and specify a silver/silver or MINOR variation W/O COMAND OR
K4 as acceptable compromise, nothing else... I'm thinking of adding your
suggestion to the list.

DaMan

You waited 14 loooooooooooooog months. That is the reason!

They should comp the $1,600 K4 package. The XENON lights are awesome. I believe it also includes rainsensors for the wipers - great feature as well! (I live in Florida and do not need the heated seats either. Like the symmetry of the bottons though.)

My dealer compt the Command system, because I did not want it and would have bought a black CLK 55 without the command. The dealer knew that I wanted the brilliant silver w/o command, so they did not charge me for it when I told them to take it out.

Prior do doing the deal, I asked this forum about the command. Unanimouly the response was: GO GET IT.

Since I got it for free, it's even better. I love the system.

Do add the 6-disc Alpine CD changer. It works well with the Command system.

Good Luck! Play HARDBALL.

Karl K

Last edited by karl k; 12-03-2001 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:11 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by karl k
. I believe it also includes rainsensors for the wipers - great feature as well!
I live in Los Angeles dude, that's as useful as the heated seats, meaning not at all

Good to know that YOUR dealer comped you, though.

The reason I do not want the comand is because I plan on getting a Panasonic VCD/DVD/MP3-CD player installed with a retractable monitor. I've used both that one (back in Europe) and a COMAND and can tell you that it's an easy choice.

However I'd still accept the COMAND if they just scrap the K4, which isn't worth twenty bucks for me!!!

Thanks for all your help, watch this forum for the outcome... I will take your advice to heart, though - I'll see if they're willing to "REMOVE" the K4, which I know they can't
Old 12-03-2001, 07:38 AM

2001 CLK 320
Wrong car

In my area, the factory rep spends an awful lot of time going between a small number of dealers in his territory. He usually comes back to a given dealer at least once a month. When you contact him, ask if he will be in your area soon. You could even meet with him at another dealer in order to resolve the matter more quickly. It might prove useful if you actually met with him rather than just talk on the phone. After all, what was done to you really does deserve his attention and assistance. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2001, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
After all, what was done to you really does deserve his
attention and assistance.

True!

Those MB personnel inflicted irreparable harm. Torture.

Let those inconsiderate MB sales jerks sit on a heated seat in the L.A. smog for 14 months.

DAMAN - Go get a comp CLK!

Last edited by karl k; 12-03-2001 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-03-2001, 08:49 AM

2001 CLK 320
Wrong car

I had an idea. It probably won't work, but then we all enter negotiations asking for more than we expect to get. First, ask the Factory Rep to help you find out where things went wrong. Tell him EVERYTHING. If it is ascertained that a mistake was made by the factory or Mercedes (such as not deleting COMAND) you will find yourself in a stronger position. Once it is ascertained where the fault lies, I would ask that the Rep do what he can to expedite production of the EXACT car that you want. (Rumor has it that there is a little leeway here and there.) In the meantime, however, they really should allow you to use the car that came in with the wrong specs. When the right car comes in you simply return the wrong car in exchange for the right one. They will have to absorb the depreciation on the wrong car, but on a Cab, that is not a lot. It seems equitable to me, and certainly worth trying. Again, it may not work, but one never knows. Good luck and keep us posted.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 320Cab came in yesterday - wrong car! Vic55?