CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2006 CLK500 rattles/shakes when idle or stop sign?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by 2MCHCAR
No problem Andy! The engine was shaking/vibrating when my car was idling or when I was waiting at a stop light/sign. It felt like the engine was going to shut off (and it did once). But at every other scenario, like accelerating or cruising; no problems.
same symptoms on my CLK320 but it turned out it was my MAF so i took it out and cleaned it with CRC cleaner. And now on my 500, I sometime feels the body of the car is vibrating/shaking (very little) but you can notice so im not sure that the way V8 is or something wrong with my car lol. Like I said, very little vibrating and am i creating problem ?

Andy
Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 CLK 500
i hope it's just valve covers or a matter of cleaning the MAF sensor!! but has anyone else experienced this?.. i'll be braking the car (even pressure and not too aggressively) while i can feel the car shake/vibrate, it will jump forward and then come to a stop?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:41 PM

W209 500
Originally Posted by mt amg
i hope it's just valve covers or a matter of cleaning the MAF sensor!! but has anyone else experienced this?.. i'll be braking the car (even pressure and not too aggressively) while i can feel the car shake/vibrate, it will jump forward and then come to a stop?
Does it do it when it's cold only or always?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:55 PM

03 CLK 500
it only does it every so often and the temp doesn't matter, hot or cold plus i live in so cal so cold isn't really that cold haha
Old 05-18-2010, 03:17 AM

-=[CLK 500 2006]=- -=[Dodge Ram 2001]=- -=[Kawasaki Ninja 636 2005]=-
yeah I took mine to a shop and it was not really the mounts... it was the valve covers or valve seals to be more specific... the guy said it was absorbing air and the computer is trying to identify what it was.... and blah blah... lol... i wasnt really listening coz I was pissed that it costs me $480 just to replace those valve seals... he said he had to diagnose stuff from the computer and etc.... lol
Old 05-18-2010, 04:17 PM

03 CLK 500
Originally Posted by pinoytm
yeah I took mine to a shop and it was not really the mounts... it was the valve covers or valve seals to be more specific... the guy said it was absorbing air and the computer is trying to identify what it was.... and blah blah... lol... i wasnt really listening coz I was pissed that it costs me $480 just to replace those valve seals... he said he had to diagnose stuff from the computer and etc.... lol
yeah that's a bummer but at least it's all fixed now:/ but thanks, i'm gonna take mine in soon. i'm hoping it's just valve seals and nothing to do with my tranny or torque converter

btw did your check engine light ever come on at all?
Old 05-18-2010, 04:58 PM

W209 500
I think i have the same problem. I wish someone on here from my area can fix it for me..
Old 05-18-2010, 05:04 PM

nope no check engine... the guy said the computer board is trying to adapt that substance getting in and it is "AIR" that is why it is having problem with the throttle... so the computer does not know that there is a problem with the valve... it thinks it's just part of the cycle.. - thats why he said.... lol

guofan.. if you have good experience with breaking parts out and taking it back.. you can do it yourself... simple as taking it off and put some superglue and put it back together! lol.... ok it is not really a superglue... but I forgot what is it called.. just google it.. "how to fix valve seal" or "how to re-seal valve seal"

just imagine making a sandwich bottom... middle.. and top... but there should be no air going out and going in...

"WORK AT YOUR OWN RISK" if you have good experience with cars and got tools.. i guess you can do it... but if not.. might as well take it to the shop... better safe than sorry..

btw.. what happened to the other posts on this thread? lol

Last edited by pinoytm; 05-18-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:10 PM

W209 500
nope no check engine... the guy said the computer board is trying to adapt that substance getting in and it is "AIR" that is why it is having problem with the throttle... so the computer does not know that there is a problem with the valve... it thinks it's just part of the cycle.. - thats why he said.... lol

guofan.. if you have good experience with breaking parts out and taking it back.. you can do it yourself... simple as taking it off and put some superglue and put it back together! lol.... ok it is not really a superglue... but I forgot what is it called.. just google it.. "how to fix valve seal" or "how to re-seal valve seal"

just imagine making a sandwich bottom... middle.. and top... but there should be no air going out and going in...

"WORK AT YOUR OWN RISK" if you have good experience with cars and got tools.. i guess you can do it... but if not.. might as well take it to the shop... better safe than sorry..

btw.. what happened to the other posts on this thread? lol
Thanks man
Old 06-16-2010, 08:50 PM

03 CLK 500

have all problems stopped after you replaced the valve seals?
took mine in and was recommended : take k&n filters out and replace the mass airflow sensor. a total (with parts and labor) 500.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
K&N filters gave me problems also. Had to switch to Green
Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 PM

2000 Volvo S40, 2006 Hummer H3, 2008 CLK550
same problem happened to me and i only have 5000 miles on my car

after driving really fast when i slow down the engine will shake a bit...if u pay attention to the odometer...u will notice the engine revving will go from 1K to 2K on its own...so i think its a transmission problem...the car seems to be down shifting...which is kinda scary because once i was at a stop and i let go of my brake once and the car actually sped forward a little bit on its own!
and this problem got worse after i put in K&N filters too!! but it happens maybe once every 2 months so im' not too worried
Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 PM

2000 Volvo S40, 2006 Hummer H3, 2008 CLK550
Originally Posted by mt amg
have all problems stopped after you replaced the valve seals?
took mine in and was recommended : take k&n filters out and replace the mass airflow sensor. a total (with parts and labor) 500.
thanks for taking the bullet for us all
much appreciated
Old 06-16-2010, 11:49 PM

03 CLK 500
Originally Posted by sleepyheadzzz
same problem happened to me and i only have 5000 miles on my car

after driving really fast when i slow down the engine will shake a bit...if u pay attention to the odometer...u will notice the engine revving will go from 1K to 2K on its own...so i think its a transmission problem...the car seems to be down shifting...which is kinda scary because once i was at a stop and i let go of my brake once and the car actually sped forward a little bit on its own!
and this problem got worse after i put in K&N filters too!! but it happens maybe once every 2 months so im' not too worried

yeah same here. GRR. but it seems like it's a pretty common problem with our cars unfortunately.. but i highly doubt it's the transmission specially at only 5k mi.. i mean im at 105k and so far hasn't proved to be a tranny prob. but we'll see. this fri is when the work gets done. i'll let you know if it solves all my problems!
gl with yours
Old 06-22-2010, 10:10 PM

Obsidian Black C43, Silver C43, Silver Carlsson E-class wagon, Brabus G-class
The problems I have with car shaking was due to incompetent mechanic not installing the MAF correctly so the filter box outlet was just opened to air and RH valve cover gasket had a split, which probably happened when the removed it to change the valve cover gasket. This was on my C43. On the E320 wagon, the valve cover gasket they installed is missing a piece or it looked it got sucked in so it's causing a huge vacuum leak. Car shakes like crazy. Mind you that both cars ran fine before bringing them in for preventive maintenance to the same shop.

I fixed the C43 mysel & the E320 is now in another shop. Thanks for this forum I'm able to confirm that the shake is due the huge leak in the valve cover gasket. Needless to say, I'm suing the original shop for not meeting their contractual obligations, negligence, & assault (the mechanic that worked on it became violent with me although me & the manager were talking things out). He said hedidn't like people yelling at him although I was just complaining about the poor work. The guy is a total lunatic & should not deal with people worse yet as a european car mechanic.

So I learned my lesson. I used to do all the work myself, but I figured I would rather spend the time with the family. I'll definitely think twice now before doing preventive maintenance on perfectly running cars other than oil/filter changes on engine & transmission.

So this is so far my worst nightmare dealing with mechanics. I should really stick with one that can be trusted or just do it myself. Now I have to worry about a psycho mechanic possibly retaliating or I may face him again in court. I found out the owner and it's not incorporated. I wonder if I can go after him too for putting me and my family in danger by releasing unsafe cars. Any lawyers in the forum? My lawyer just told me to file complaints through Bureau of Automotive Repair and also small claims court. I really just one my cars to run as well as before this whole ordeal with incompetent mechanic & threats of physical harm just because I complained. 1 car having issue may be understandable but both cars? I just hope there's nothing else wrong with the E320. Reason I didn't let them repair the gasket is the mechanic stated that if I were to complain about a waiter in a restaurant, I'll probably have my food spit on. After that and threats of physical harm, there's no way I could trust them to lay a finger on my cars again. Uurgh!!
Old 06-23-2010, 03:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Wow, good luck with that situation. Having a mechanic you could trust is priceless!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:42 PM

it is true! when my car had the problem its very aggressive! even if you have your foot on the brake! the car is like going to race at the stop sign! its like rumbling at the stop sign waiting for me to release the brake! and what if theres hot chick walking in front of the car? I dont want to kill a hot chick! lol...
Old 10-24-2014, 01:10 PM

Clk w209 AMG
Sou... possible causes for vibration at idle,
vacum hoses
valve cover gasket
intake filter
motor mounts
old catalytic converters

any other culprits?

Last edited by Dmtypr; 10-24-2014 at 03:25 PM.