CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Passanger side headrest is stuck at highest position

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 CLK500, W221 S550
Passanger side headrest is stuck at highest position

the button on the door doesn't move it down, when i press down, when i press up i can hear it move but since its at the highest clearly it can't go any higher... the memory settings can't move it either.. however when i pull the seat forward it DOES go down so the motor isn't broken.. any idea what's wrong guys? and how to fix it?
thanks
Old 07-26-2010, 01:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive the racism out of BadDebt. ;)
have you tried adjusting the seat positions??...then adjusting the headrest after?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:52 AM

W209 CLK500, W221 S550
Originally Posted by Supafly
have you tried adjusting the seat positions??...then adjusting the headrest after?
yep, same thing, doesn't budge

edit
wow i just looked at your list of cars and we almost have/had the same cars LOL i had a 325ci that was totaled, then a clk500 which i still have and also a e46 m3 lol
Old 07-26-2010, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
I had the same thing happen to me. When I pulled the seat forward (for rear seat access) the headrest went to it's lowest point, I then returned the saet to it's 'locked' position while pushing the headrest button (repeated) down. This stopped the head rest from going up again, I then saved it into memory and it has worked ever since.

More of a band-aid than a cure but it works.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
My drivers side gets stuck occasionally but always works when moving the seat forward.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:17 AM

W209 CLK500, W221 S550
Originally Posted by Kevwood
I had the same thing happen to me. When I pulled the seat forward (for rear seat access) the headrest went to it's lowest point, I then returned the saet to it's 'locked' position while pushing the headrest button (repeated) down. This stopped the head rest from going up again, I then saved it into memory and it has worked ever since.

so you saved it into memory when the seat was pulled forward? will give this a shot tomorrow thx for the idea
Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
No, I pulled the seat forward and the headrest went to it's lowest position, then as I put the seat back (into the normal position) I pressed the headrest button down a few times quickly and the headrest stayed down. I then adjusted it to where I wanted it and saved it into memory.

Since then I haven't had an issue. Odd to have a 'glitch' like this on a switch but stranger things have happened.

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
i shall try that method tonight as well. i have the same problem -_-
Old 07-26-2010, 07:05 PM

05 CLK500

it always works for me. before headrest go up, press down the headrest button, then it stays at low position.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:07 AM

W209 CLK500, W221 S550
No, I pulled the seat forward and the headrest went to it's lowest position, then as I put the seat back (into the normal position) I pressed the headrest button down a few times quickly and the headrest stayed down. I then adjusted it to where I wanted it and saved it into memory.

Since then I haven't had an issue. Odd to have a 'glitch' like this on a switch but stranger things have happened.

Good luck.
didn't work ! haha
Old 07-27-2010, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Really? Damn, that sucks mate. Seems that a few of us have had the same issue but we were able to resolve it, sounds like your switch is fubar.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
motor died on my, so I took off the cover in the back of the seat and removed the assembly. Then I could lower it freely. Was going to move the working motor from the passenger side but did not have the time. Dealer wanted $425 for it and I do not need to play with it that much
Old 07-28-2010, 12:22 AM

W211 E55 - W209 CLK (gone)
head rest motor is also a problem on my w209. sometimes it work, sometimes it doesn't. didnt replace it because it didnt bother me that much. sometimes it is depressing though..
Old 07-28-2010, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by icecream
head rest motor is also a problem on my w209. sometimes it work, sometimes it doesn't. didnt replace it because it didnt bother me that much. sometimes it is depressing though..
I can get the motor for like $150 and replacement is very easy. I like the lowest position so its all cool. It could also be the cables and or connector. Connect the 'bad' motor to the passenger side to test it. The chairs only have two screws each holding the back covers.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:58 AM

2005 CLK 320
I'm not sure the motor is the problem. When you move the seat forward for back seat access, the head rest goes down to not hit the roof. If the motor was bad it would not work period to my understanding. But at the same time, when the head rest goes into its "freeze mode" you can hear the motor trying to do something but the head rest doing nothing.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:30 AM

W209 CLK500, W221 S550
Originally Posted by 05BLACKCLK320
I'm not sure the motor is the problem. When you move the seat forward for back seat access, the head rest goes down to not hit the roof. If the motor was bad it would not work period to my understanding. But at the same time, when the head rest goes into its "freeze mode" you can hear the motor trying to do something but the head rest doing nothing.
that's exactly what i'm saying, i don't think the motor's faulty at all i just think its a software glitch somewhere
Old 07-28-2010, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the car was scanned for error codes and there was nothing there. maybe the servo going bad? One way to eliminate some options is to switch with the other chair motor and then see if the issue moved to the other chair. Anyway, don;t care for the headrest that much to spend the time on this Just remove the motor and lower by hand.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 147 Likes on 135 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
I fixed the headrest not going down and not going down when the seat is tilted forward yesterday.

Here is what I did:

-Took the seat's back cover by unscrewing the two screws at the bottom of the cover

-Removed the headrest by pulling it out of the two white cups that hold it there.

-Pushed the motor assembly to the right (towards passenger seat) and removed it.

-Removed a black cover on the motor assembly which hides a gear.

-Removed the motor from the assembly

-Removed the connector/board from the motor which WAS THE PROBLEM. The solder joints from where the cable connects to the motor were bad and loose. (picture at the end).

-Re-soldered the 4 joints and put everything back together.

Now everything works perfectly. I'll be more than happy to provide more details if needed.

^ You can see the 4 solder joints on the right and how they are almost empty. I re-soldered those.
The following users liked this post:
DR.GOKHAN ESEL (02-28-2021)
Old 03-08-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 320CLK Cab
My driver's side headrest has been flaky for a while. It finally decided to stop going down. That means it wouldn't let the seat tilt forward to allow folks in the back. Ashaimidly, I gave it a rap & it went down. The seat would then tilt all the way foward, but still wouldn't go up or down.

This thread gave me the nerve to take the back of the seat off. It's incredibly simple. The motor unit does just slide off to the right. I took it into my basement & found the motor was binding. Pop out the screw mechanism & everything spun freely. Jumpered the motor with 12V and it spun OK. Though there is a bit of a squeak which tells me one of the bearings is on its way out.
Put the unit back in : it wouldn't work. Take it out, it worked.

Then it hit me. It matters where the mechanism is when you put it back in and where the seat is.

I extended the mechanism all the way down, pushed the seat back all the way forward, THEN plugged the motor back in & it worked fine. Sealed her back up & she's fine. There must be a sensor/pot on the seat that give the headrest position info.

IT WORKS AGAIN!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:45 AM

2008 CLK 63 Convertible
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid
so you saved it into memory when the seat was pulled forward? will give this a shot tomorrow thx for the idea
I have the same problem. What I did is put the seat fully forward, and then when moved back held the headrest in a lower position by pushing down on the top of it. It was easy to do and although not a repair is and OK fix until I investigate the problem further.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 BMW 550i
Originally Posted by xsever
I fixed the headrest not going down and not going down when the seat is tilted forward yesterday.

Here is what I did:

-Took the seat's back cover by unscrewing the two screws at the bottom of the cover

-Removed the headrest by pulling it out of the two white cups that hold it there.

-Pushed the motor assembly to the right (towards passenger seat) and removed it.

-Removed a black cover on the motor assembly which hides a gear.

-Removed the motor from the assembly

-Removed the connector/board from the motor which WAS THE PROBLEM. The solder joints from where the cable connects to the motor were bad and loose. (picture at the end).

-Re-soldered the 4 joints and put everything back together.

Now everything works perfectly. I'll be more than happy to provide more details if needed.

^ You can see the 4 solder joints on the right and how they are almost empty. I re-soldered those.
You, my friend, are a genius! I used your work to fix my drivers headrest when I bought my car and it looked exactly like your picture. 2 days ago my passenger side headrest stopped and I thought id give it a try. I eventually took apart the motor and got to the contacts. it seems they weren't that bad off but as soon as I touched the soldering tip on the solder it was apparent they were barely making contact. I filled the contacts up again and plugged everything together! works like a charm again! Seems like all the motors are bound to fail that way soon enough.

As a note: its a good idea to normalize the motor after your done. my headrest acted weird after I fixed it. Just hold the headrest button up all the way until it reaches the top and keep it there for 4 seconds then down again and hold for 4 seconds.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:27 AM

2007 BMW 550i
Originally Posted by clydem
My driver's side headrest has been flaky for a while. It finally decided to stop going down. That means it wouldn't let the seat tilt forward to allow folks in the back. Ashaimidly, I gave it a rap & it went down. The seat would then tilt all the way foward, but still wouldn't go up or down.

This thread gave me the nerve to take the back of the seat off. It's incredibly simple. The motor unit does just slide off to the right. I took it into my basement & found the motor was binding. Pop out the screw mechanism & everything spun freely. Jumpered the motor with 12V and it spun OK. Though there is a bit of a squeak which tells me one of the bearings is on its way out.
Put the unit back in : it wouldn't work. Take it out, it worked.

Then it hit me. It matters where the mechanism is when you put it back in and where the seat is.

I extended the mechanism all the way down, pushed the seat back all the way forward, THEN plugged the motor back in & it worked fine. Sealed her back up & she's fine. There must be a sensor/pot on the seat that give the headrest position info.

IT WORKS AGAIN!

It seems your motor was stuck on the down position that's why reinstalling with the mechanism down fixed it! you could have held down the button for 4 seconds and it would have reset too, just a side note
Old 08-28-2015, 05:01 PM

CLK 55 AMG
Cool It works!

Thanks for the info on this thread. I initially blamed my wife but then decided to see if anyone else had that issue. Sounds like a software glitch or mechanical problem that pops up repeatedly, but the fix is ridiculously easy.

thanks again
dyw
Old 09-10-2015, 07:00 PM

Mercedes CLK 2-door, 2003
I have a more difficult but related headrest problem on my 2003, 2-door CLK MB. The driver's seat is stuck in the forward position because the headrest extended up to the highest setting when I accessed the back seat. The headrest is jammed against the windshield and I cannot move the seat back. So, I cannot drive the car. The door controls for the seat do not work in this position. I know this because when I move the passenger seat forward, the door controls do not work. In the normal position, they do. I have used the "settings" option to reset to factory but I don't think this does anything to the seat controls. I am not really handy enough to do everything described in removing the headrest motor but I am certainly willing to try if it will fix my problem. I just need to get that headrest down so that I can put the driver's seat back into normal position. Right now I have no car to drive.....
Old 09-11-2015, 08:40 AM

2007 BMW 550i
I'd say you have one solution. you've got take apart the back of the seat which is really simple just 2 screws at the bottom of the seat back, then dislodge the motor out of the headrest track either left or right i cant remember, pretty sure its written somewhere in this thread. and there you go problem solved installation is just as simple.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Passanger side headrest is stuck at highest position