CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help Please, Roof wont work!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes clk 320
Help Please, Roof wont work!!

Hi, I bought a CLK Convertible W209 last weekend. During the viewing, I saw the garage salesman open the roof. However ysterday when I tried, the windows went down, the roof disengaged from the window and then stopped.
There is a sound coming from the rear of the car, like a motor trying to operate but nothing is happening.
The control switch for operating the roof is flashing, slowly.
the headrests are down and I've checked the fluid and that is halfway between the max and min line.
Can anyone give me any ideas please?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 CLK 320
Is it stuck part way open? Will it close again?

The motor you hear is the hydraulic pump.

Make sure there are no obstructions in the trunk, and that the "partition" is fully down - it's a large curved piece of plastic in the trunk that is hinged so it can be moved out of the way when the top is up, for more storage space. It needs to be swung down for the top to start working - but if it isn't, then there is usually a warning showing on the dash.

I'm not sure, but I think there are emergency directions in the manual that would help you close the top
Old 02-19-2013, 02:00 PM

mercedes clk 320
Thanks for further advise dangermouse. I've done some more investigating to get some more information that might help with an online diagnosis.

1. Firstly the key fob button release for the rear boot works, as I'd read that boot release and roof issues can be related, so no issues there.
2. The button for rear headrests / roll bar works and drops them as required. If you start roof operation with the roll bars up they automatically drop ok, so this part of the sequence is ok.
3. Rear luggage flap is pulled down and engaged ok. When it's not engaged the dash displays the expected message.
4. So with roof and windows in fully closed position I start the roof down operation pulling up the button, and the roof disengages from the top of the windscreen, all 4 windows fully retract, and you can hear the hydraulic pump working.
5. At this point nothing else happens, and the pump stops running after about 10 seconds. Dash displays roof in operation, but that's it. If I re-attempt to open the roof from there by pulling up the button the motor starts again for about another 6 to 8 seconds and then stops.
6. If I push the button down to close the roof the motor runs again for about 6 to 8 seconds but the roof does not push itself back against the top of the windscreen in order for the latches to close it.
7. However if I try to close the roof using the button and at the same time pull the roof by hand to touch the top of the windscreen then the closure latches on the top of the windscreen close the roof securely as expected, all 4 windows go back up and the roof closed message is displayed.
8. As additional info the 40 amp fuse looks fine with no corrosion and the hydraulic fluid is exactly on the middle mark. Operating the pump does not appear to lose any fluid and no obvious signs of fluid in the back anywhere.

Sorry for my ramblings, but would really appreciate some advise from here. Is there a relay or switch or something that switches the pumps hydraulic pressure to the hydraulic rams? Basically appears that although the pump is running there is no hydraulic actuation to take the roof down or to make it touch the top of the windscreen. Hope that makes sense.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I think you posted the same on benzworld, right? I believe it's the switches that detect the position of the front latches. I posted the WIS documents that may help you check them to see if the are broken, unplugged, dirty, etc. Someone (say an indy mechanic) with SDS can check the error codes for the soft top control system and then we'll know better what's going on
Old 02-20-2013, 04:25 AM

mercedes clk 320
Thanks Rudeney that would make sense. I'll have a check of the front micro switches and if nothing obvious will get a code read out. Thanks, Annie.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:31 PM

03 clk 200 w209 convertible
w209 roof problem

the pump is running there is no hydraulic actuation to take the roof down or to make it touch the top of the windscreen. Hope that makes sense. [/QUOTE]

I realise it is a long time since you posted this but I am having the same problem and I was wondering if you ever fixed it
Old 08-27-2015, 06:56 PM

2015 C300 Sportline
I am now having the same issue as well. 2007 350. The best I got was half way through the process of the top going down and then it just stopped. I'd try to make it go again and it would try, but not get anywhere. Luckily I was able to get it to close and latch. Does anyone know what fix there may be for this?
Old 08-27-2015, 09:53 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
First, check your fluid level - if there is a leak and the fluid is low, the pump will run but nothing will happen.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:55 PM

2015 C300 Sportline
Originally Posted by Rudeney
First, check your fluid level - if there is a leak and the fluid is low, the pump will run but nothing will happen.
Thanks, Rodney. I just traded her in... an '07 with 145k miles for an '09 with 34k. I think I'll be much happier...

BTW, I see you are in Birmingham. Are you Bama or Auburn?
Old 08-29-2015, 11:54 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
LOL! Apparently, we here in Alabama are defined by our SEC football team choices. I am for Auburn because (a) I attend school there (but graduated elsewhere) and (2) it seems like Bama fans are a dime a dozen, so I had to be contrary.