CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

where do i buy 2004 clk500 rear retainer and pins?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2023 c300 4matic
where do i buy 2004 clk500 rear retainer and pins?

I just replace my rear pads with akebono's, the brake sensor that came with the new pads are with round plug and single wire connector so i had to use the old one which was a little to big to fit so i had to trim it off a bit. still i finish the job and went for a test drive the driver side is a little hotter than the passenger side. i was expecting that because the pins on the driver side was rust and not straight, i am looking for a new set of pins and retainers.

i searched fcpeuro, they had a set i think its for the single pin, i have the dual pin per caliper. i searched autohausaz and nothing. i found a set on advance auto parts, try to check out and out of stock. found same set on autozone, try to check out and also out of stock.

my recommendation is when ever you change the pad change out the pins and retainers. my one of the inner pad on both sides were completely stuck onto the caliper, i had to take out the caliper and hammer it out.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=74203_0_0_

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/w...524/10217441-P
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2014, 10:29 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
When replacing pads, I always clean and polish those pins and clips. As long as they aren't bent, that should work.

As for the sensors, the two-wire sensor is a bit larger. Instead of cutting on the sensor, use a drill bit and enlarge the hole int he pad (you can usually do it by hand by twisting the bit in the hole).
Old 07-17-2014, 11:41 PM

2023 c300 4matic
Originally Posted by Rudeney
When replacing pads, I always clean and polish those pins and clips. As long as they aren't bent, that should work.

As for the sensors, the two-wire sensor is a bit larger. Instead of cutting on the sensor, use a drill bit and enlarge the hole int he pad (you can usually do it by hand by twisting the bit in the hole).
thanks for the reply, i think one of the pins is a little bent and you can see it rust so bad it crack open a bit. i think because its bent, it's not letting the pad slide freely, that's why it overheating.

i thought of using the drill to make the hole bigger too, i was too lazy so i use the utility knife. still works, the drill is more professional i agree.

i am surprise no merchants carry it, maybe the dealer does, i don't like the dealer though. if someone know where to get it, let me know, thanks.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:15 AM

2023 c300 4matic
finally found some that would fit, just look up the beck/arnley or centric part product catalog, they have tons on amazon or ebay. i wonder why they didn't associate clk500 in the search titles.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:22 AM

2005 SL500
when installing/replacing pins, are they directional? Seems to me i could put then in from inner to outer, or outer to inner. Does that question make sense? I see one end is pointy, the other end has the spring tension clip and i couldn't tell if i had them in 100% correctly (as in deep enough in). I also snapped the tip off the small punch I was using, luckily the broken piece came out.

Are there other caliper slider parts to take apart and clean? I had one pad more worn than the others so I want to make sure everything is moving freely and not hanging up.

The brake hardware kits are Raybestos H18057A ($14) or Centric 117.35071 ($15)....for the front brakes.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:34 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The pins only fit one way - they are inserted into the inner side of the caliper. You will find the hole on the outer side of the caliper is smaller and only accommodates the "point" on the pin, so you can't even put the pins in backward.

In addition to cleaning the pins (or replacing any that are bent or corroded), you should clean the spring clips that sit behind them, and also check the surfaces where the edges of the pads contact the caliper. Use a brake lubricant on any surface (except the rotor) that the pad can contact - the pins, spring clips, caliper, pistons, etc. I like Pastelub 2400. You have too call and order from here:

http://www.gwrauto.com/gwrmain.html

You might want to look into their "starter kit" which includes an entire package of chemicals and tools to stop brake squeal - especially if you are not replacing the rotors. When reusing rotors with new pads, ideally you should have them turned, but if they are not warped, that is really not necessary. Instead you can just "knock down" the surface by sanding. You want to remove the shine (and coating from the old pads) so that the new pads bite into the rotor surface and mate properly. You can do this with a power sander and 40 to 80 grit metallic-grade sandpaper, or use GWR's crosshatch tool that comes in the kit.