CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

DAR/NAR Drone and Noise Reduction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
DAR/NAR Drone and Noise Reduction

I am starting this thread to track and communicate the work and progress on three exhaust enhancement/performance products. Some of you are aware that I started working on a solution for the drone in my car about a year ago. Following the installation of my pretty wide open exhaust, the drone was horrible.

I wanted the solution to be non-intrusive to the exhaust flow (after all, I spent a lot of money and time to open it up properly), require no welding (because I don't know how), and to be capable of being tuned (for different applications and for different exhaust tones).

I have designed, built, installed, and tested a Drone Amplitude Reducer (DAR) and a Noise Amplitude Reducer (NAR). The DAR has been in it's final version for 3-4 months and the NAR made it through it's initial tests today.

The DAR unit is indeed a drone killer. There is virtually no drone; up the hill; down the hill; down shifting; WOT....... nada....

The NAR unit is not giving me the 60db idle, when combined with DAR, I set as a goal, but it is at 71db (idle db was at 84-86 when I started this journey). I can't make a final call on it's performance until I've taken it through it's "burn-in" period.

My exhaust configuration, from beginning to end, is ----- k&n filters, stock intake, kleeman headers, magnaflow 200 cel cats, vibrant resonators, magnaflow tru-x crossover, magnaflow dual in/dual out 14" muffler. The resonators and muffler are of the "straight through" design (no baffles). The muffler contains a tru-x crossover (so I really have 2 x pipes). 2.5 " pipes from the resonators to the exit.

Somewhere along the way my main pipes, between the cats and the resonators, became different diameters. The passenger side is 2.25" and the driver side is 2.125".

I will start to post sound clips and some pictures this weekend.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
Curious to see the sound clips!
Old 03-31-2015, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500
You have a picture of the vibrant resonator installed? Does it fit directly on?
Old 03-31-2015, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
There are pictures of the install at this thread: CKS Quad Exhaust Experience?

These are "straight through" design resonators. The layout and the configuration of the 500 exhaust may not permit the same placement/location that I used.

I think they are 4" round and 12" long. (check vibrant.com) They are welded in like any other piece of pipe, they just have a larger diameter (the pipe diameters range from 2.25 to 3 inches I believe) and insulation.