CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK500 Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK500
CLK500 Engine Noise

Hello All,
I just got my car back after having the motor mounts and transmission mount replaced. I immediately noticed a new noise upon driving the car away from the shop. The closest thing I can compare it to is a lifter noise I used to hear back in the old V8 Chevy days. However, it does not make the noise at idle or any rpm when the car is standing still, only when under load, and mainly at lower rpm's. It is dramatically louder when the engine is colder, then quiets somewhat after warm, but never goes away completely. The noise is proportionate to engine speed, not vehicle speed. If a lifter, I find it hard to believe that it just happened to develop at the moment I picked the car up from the repair shop, too much of a coincidence. My mechanic said the noise may somehow now be audible due to the new motor mounts. I would think it should be just the opposite-if anything it should be quieter now. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 2005 CLK500 7 spd 160k
Old 03-25-2015, 10:40 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
You might try a mechanic's stethoscope to track it down. Also, you might try running the engine (briefly, when cold) without the serpentine belt to see if it's a pulley issue instead of internal engine noise. Even if it is engine noise, honestly, these V8s will make some and most of them are just in the range of normal behavior.