CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Cabriolet rear window tensioning cable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CLK500
Cabriolet rear window tensioning cable

First off, a huge thank you to everyone on this site. It is an amazing resource for making the difficult simple and keeping costs reasonable.

On to my current issue- the cable that keeps the soft top tight around the rear window has broken. It's the original top and both sides have split. It's the cable itself and not the ferrule attachment to the frame.

Can this cable be replaced without replacing the top?
Is it a DIY project? (I'm fairly competent in this regard)
If its not a DIY project, can anyone recommend a shop in the Los Angles area?

Thx
Old 05-20-2015, 09:12 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I can't find the WIS docs for this. I believe it is called the "bow tensioner" or "pull" and I see a part in EPC for it (#410):

http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/PartsList.pdf
http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/PartsDiagram.pdf

I do see that it goes through a folded, glued seam in the water pocket. There's info in WIS on replacing the water pocket and re-gluing that seam, but noting about routing the cable, which leads me to believe that "it's so easy, it needs no instructions".
Old 05-21-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CLK500
Thanks Rodney

That gets me started and its good to see the cables are affordable (on the MB scale) Hopefully someone can help with the WIS, I'm a little skittish on randomly unbolting stuff to get to the attachment points.

The only video I found was basically an advert for replacing the top only where the top was already detached and all they showed was rolling it back with underlayers still in place