CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Why does my V6 sound like a V8?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 03:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 BMW 550i
Sorry guys, i dont need to be harassed on the internet by a child and called names then have the moderator tell me if i dont stop i'll get banned for a couple days. I already sold the merc. Thats good bye.
The following users liked this post:
eddieo45 (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
Originally Posted by DanielFD
Sorry guys, i dont need to be harassed on the internet by a child and called names then have the moderator tell me if i dont stop i'll get banned for a couple days. I already sold the merc. Thats good bye.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Daniel, sorry to see that you would leave the forum. I think you make valued contribution to the forum and its' members. I couldn't reply when I first saw beej's post and when I got back around to logging in, this thing had really escalated........

What I tried to post before the escalation is...... I though beej was just being, in light fun, sarcastic with the post of his exhaust clip. That was the way I took it....

Also, I agree with you and Rodney regarding the possibility of engine vibration causing the elevated cabin noise. The cabin could get loud from vibrations to the car frame. Those vibrations could get focused to different points in the cabin as the cabin structure echo's the rest of the frame vibrations.

About a week ago I had someone refer to some suggestions I made, and some from others, as BS.

Excluding Rodney and a few others, there aren't many true experts giving away valued info. I see the forum as a collection of owners willing to share there experience and their perceived results; learning and helping others. You've been an excellent forum member...... IMO

All the best...
Old 10-06-2016, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
Originally Posted by Fatz
Excluding Rodney and a few others, there aren't many true experts giving away valued info. I see the forum as a collection of owners willing to share there experience and their perceived results; learning and helping others. You've been an excellent forum member...... IMO..
Agreed. I am not an expert but after 11 years of owning a w209, I do have many experiences to share with the members here. On this case, after I replaced the engine mounts and transmission mounts, the noise and vibrations went away. To The OP, if the mounts were never replaced, you should consider replacing them regardless. These mounts do deteriorate over time.

Over the years, I have received countless valuable advices here which benefited me in many ways. Many times the diagnosis here are more accurate than the MB service technicians.

Last edited by mis3; 10-06-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 BMW 550i
Originally Posted by Fatz
Daniel, sorry to see that you would leave the forum. I think you make valued contribution to the forum and its' members. I couldn't reply when I first saw beej's post and when I got back around to logging in, this thing had really escalated........

What I tried to post before the escalation is...... I though beej was just being, in light fun, sarcastic with the post of his exhaust clip. That was the way I took it....

Also, I agree with you and Rodney regarding the possibility of engine vibration causing the elevated cabin noise. The cabin could get loud from vibrations to the car frame. Those vibrations could get focused to different points in the cabin as the cabin structure echo's the rest of the frame vibrations.

About a week ago I had someone refer to some suggestions I made, and some from others, as BS.

Excluding Rodney and a few others, there aren't many true experts giving away valued info. I see the forum as a collection of owners willing to share there experience and their perceived results; learning and helping others. You've been an excellent forum member...... IMO

All the best...
Thank you for the kind words Fatz. I might have taken it a bit too personal.

An argument is the core of a car forum. It brings in members and ideas to the table. I love forum arguments they always provide valuable info for all the members. What happened wasn't an argument, instead it was a situation where a member was taking advantage that we are on the internet; name calling and mocking suddenly become without consequence to him.

IMO, it might have started as a joke but the fact that beejAMG mocked the way I wrote is what got to me and not the video itself.

Apologies to you Fatz and other members on the forum for what happened; it was useless, and I lost my temper.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CLK W209
Originally Posted by beejAMG
I don't know if it's because you've a couple thousand posts, and feel above anyone else on this forum, however you're acting unnecessarily childish and giving yourself a bad facade. Which is a shame because you seem to be fairly knowledgable. But when you act like you have recently, what you say looses credibility; for me at least and I'm sure I'm not the only member with this view.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 CLK 320
Let me just say that I appreciate any and all suggestions and help I get on this, and other, car forums.

I would never have suspected that engine mounts would have been a possible cause, and I commend those that suggested that based on a text-only description.

Hopefully I can leave it in to my indy this week and see what a hands-on inspection reveals. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i left this thread but came across it again when it was bumped up. so hopefully this is the last time. i just feel like i needed to clear some stuff.
people should read from the start before they make a comment. but since some didnt bother here it goes...

this was my 2nd post. and i wasnt even talking/referring to anybody but the OP.

im not sure how a bad engine/transmission mount can make it sound like how you describe it. (even nefore you posted the videos) it will have the shakes and vibrations but minimal effect on the sound.

cant really tell from your videos but it does sound deeper for a 320. did you notice any power loss since? best bet is to bring it to a reputable shop for diagnosis.
then DanielFD quoted my name after that...
also, i know sometimes ones experience is the same with others but since when is it always the same as this DanielFD guy is trying to say?

well beejAMG, both xsever and I had loud sounding engines at all the whole rpm range, its a sound you here from the interior and not from outside. Replacing the engine mounts changed the engine note from the inside significantly. (sure, the engine note didn't change it was vibration that was causing the v8 sound).
then i returned the favor starting my post with the SAME EXACT WORD THAT HE USED... "WELL..."

Well DanielFD, did it sound anything like this?
and i became the BAD GUY after that? and apparently i called him and the other a LIAR?

Thats was very childish, I hope you feel better now. Sorry I respected you the first time I replied when you basically called me and xsever liars.
then i asked him this...

Please show me when i actually called you a "LIAR".

then he answered with this...

You called me a liar when you said "it will have a minimum effect on sound" right after xsever and I posted about our hands-on experience on the matter.
i dont care how many posts i have, i dont give a damn if others take my advice or bin it. im here to try to help but more so learn just like most in here. i NEVER ONCE SAID bad mounts are NOT THE PROBLEM. I SAID ITS HIGHLY UNLIKELY.
if thats calling somebody a liar so be it. im not gonna appologize for something coz somebody took it the wrong way. if you think you can dish it, make sure you can take it as well.

i dont care if i get banned for this but i guess this post explains everything. i dont give a rats *** if Daniel was the most helpful guy on this side of the forum but in my books, at least on this thread, he was like a sissy girl trying to put words into my mouth and acting like a victim being harassed. (now thats name calling btw)

OP, try to read back and ive mentioned a few times to elaborate even post a video of your problem as you did. i never discredited any suggestions nor called anybody a liar and even mentioned this...

possible that your mounts are goin or already bad. could also be just a coincidence or could be the main culprit.

look, for your own sake, i hope its just the mounts as its a simple and cheap fix. i never once said people are lying nor did i say its not the problem. all i said its highly unlikely.
now as with any other forums, anybody can post comments or replies here but i wouldnt dare click on this thread again.

OP...again and i cant reiterate more...i really hope your problem are just the mounts and nothing more serious.

have a great day yall.

Last edited by beejAMG; 10-10-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:21 AM

2005 CLK 320
Update,

had my indy look and listen and he didn't think anything sounded odd. He couldn't see any engine codes and thought the engine mounts were OK.

It seems to have gotten quieter recently

However, I have been wondering about one thing - my wife drives the car mostly and she usually fills with 87, rather than 93. We do this on the BMW also and there has never been an issue on either car before, but I was wondering of the noise was some form of firing retardation. I put a tank of 93 in and it seems quieter.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:16 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-
Originally Posted by DangermouseCLK
she usually fills with 87, rather than 93
I believe you just solved your own problem :-) Here's what the manual of my 208 says:

Fuel requirements: The octane number (posted at the pump) must be 91 min.

Your owner's manual has this information. Just so you know - if you're ever to fill with low-octane gas (either by mistake or for lack of choice), you should drive the car very gently, not revving it, and top up with higher-octane fuel as soon as possible.

Don't know about this specific model and engine of BMW, but Mercedes make some really precise engines, no built-in oil consumption or such nonsense. Treat it right and it will return the favour :-)

Last edited by shadenfroh; 10-19-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:09 AM

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 E350 Sedan
So, just for clarification, is this an across the board issue with MB, or just W209s, or is it model or engine specific?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:22 AM

-
This is not an issue. It's a prerequisite for the buttery smooth and super-precise operation that these engines deliver. I can put a coin on my M112 and it won't fall over.

It's safe to say that it applies to Mercedes-Benz gasoline engines built in the 2000s.

But! Do your own research. And by research I mean open the manual, it's stated there very clearly what's the minimum octane level that the specific engine requires.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by shadenfroh
This is not an issue. It's a prerequisite for the buttery smooth and super-precise operation that these engines deliver. I can put a coin on my M112 and it won't fall over.

It's safe to say that it applies to Mercedes-Benz gasoline engines built in the 2000s.

But! Do your own research. And by research I mean open the manual, it's stated there very clearly what's the minimum octane level that the specific engine requires.
Sorry. Let me clarify. By issue I am referring to engine mounts not octane levels.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:04 PM

2005 CLK 320
Originally Posted by shadenfroh
I believe you just solved your own problem :-) Here's what the manual of my 208 says:

Fuel requirements: The octane number (posted at the pump) must be 91 min.

Your owner's manual has this information. Just so you know - if you're ever to fill with low-octane gas (either by mistake or for lack of choice), you should drive the car very gently, not revving it, and top up with higher-octane fuel as soon as possible.

Don't know about this specific model and engine of BMW, but Mercedes make some really precise engines, no built-in oil consumption or such nonsense. Treat it right and it will return the favour :-)
The BMW "recommends" 91 but will run on 87 however it notes that running on 87 may result in knocking noises, though no damage is incurred.

I suspect that is what has been happening here

I don't think that MB engines are much better engineered than BMW of the same era. I work for a German company so I know how conservative German engineers can be

They both "use" 91 as that is the minimum grade available in Germany.

But I shall feed it a 93 diet for a while and see what the outcome is.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:21 PM

-
I don't think that MB engines are much better engineered than BMW of the same era.
BMW make some fantastic engines too, for sure! I never did nor I'll ever say the opposite :-)

Originally Posted by labguy
Sorry. Let me clarify. By issue I am referring to engine mounts not octane levels.
Oh sorry But the OP said he took it to a mechanic and his mounts are ok, and I thought you were referring to my post.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
may result in knocking noises, though no damage is incurred.
If you hear knocking it is causing damage.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
270 cdi w209
Well I'm Not helping sorry but I would not continue to drive the car. All you did was change the filters?
Old 10-19-2016, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
IMO using lower octane fuel than what is recommended is not good, particularly on high compression engines (which is where you generally find the higher octane recommendation). The "knock" is premature detonation. The premature detonation is counterproductive to the timing, ECU programming, and what the cams and shaft are designed for. I would suspect that the MPG would also be less, as well as the responsiveness/performance of the engine.

Glad you have a handle on the noise concern.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The BMW "recommends" 91 but will run on 87 however it notes that running on 87 may result in knocking noises, though no damage is incurred.

I suspect that is what has been happening here

I don't think that MB engines are much better engineered than BMW of the same era. I work for a German company so I know how conservative German engineers can be

They both "use" 91 as that is the minimum grade available in Germany.

But I shall feed it a 93 diet for a while and see what the outcome is.

possible that your mounts are goin or already bad. could also be just a coincidence or could be the main culprit.

look, for your own sake, i hope its just the mounts as its a simple and cheap fix. i never once said people are lying nor did i say its not the problem. all i said its highly unlikely.
anyways...

Last edited by beejAMG; 10-19-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CLK W209
but i wouldnt dare click on this thread again
Yes.

Glad you figured out your issue, thankfully over in the UK we don't suffer with those issues of sub-par octane fuels, with our petrol being 95 RON at a minimum. 98+ for premium fuels here.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sailorben
Yes.

Glad you figured out your issue, thankfully over in the UK we don't suffer with those issues of sub-par octane fuels, with our petrol being 95 RON at a minimum. 98+ for premium fuels here.
my curiousity got the better of me.
but yeah, rub it in...still wont make others "assumptions" correct.

btw, did you like post #33? thats actually for you mate.

Last edited by beejAMG; 10-19-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:53 AM

C63s
my curiousity got the better of me.
but yeah, rub it in...still wont make others "assumptions" correct.

btw, did you like post #33? thats actually for you mate.
Grow up bro
Old 10-20-2016, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzAMG99
Grow up bro
And heres another one...Lets join the band wagon shall we?
News flash, i aint your bro.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:17 PM

2005 CLK 320
I'll timidly open this thread up again

Well, I think I have it solved. In theory anyway.

After a few tank fills on an all-hi-test diet, the noise hadn’t improved; in fact it can be worse at times particularly when under moderate-to-heavy load. It sounds more and more like a mis-fire, but there are no codes showing (or at least no CEL light). My Indy also couldn’t hear it. So I decided to start simple and change the plugs. Once I took the air-cleaner off I noticed that the plug-wires on the RH bank (viewed from drivers seat) were clean and dry, while the ones on the LH were oily and dirty.

LH:

RH (taken out for inspection

When I took the nearest plug out, there was engine oil in the plug well and the plug looks like this (gap is similar to the replacement)

So, is this a leaking valve cover gasket?

I’m guessing so, even though both sides were replaced under warranty in 2009 at 47k, according to dealer receipts that I got with the car.

I cleaned the two closest (labelled G & H) but though there was little point in changing them all out until the oil source has been identified. That cleaning improved the sound a bit, but obviously other plugs are oil soaked.

(what is up with this image loader???? )
Old 01-30-2017, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
The plug itself looks ok for an old used plug. But as for the oil, yes, probably a valve cover leak. It's been longer since they were changed in 2009 than it was from new until then.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why does my V6 sound like a V8?