CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

COMAND Nav starting to die...any fix or must I replace??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 134 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
COMAND Nav starting to die...any fix or must I replace??

The occasional "no disc" and "loading maps" messages are becoming more frequent, and ejecting and reloading the disc is taking more tries to work (if that ever made a difference, lol). Also, my GPS antenna occasionally fails and shows me driving alongside the highway I'm on, directing me to "re-enter highway" at next onramp!

Thoughts??
Old 10-06-2016, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Didn't you lead the group buy to buy copied discs? Any chance it's that? Do you have an original to put back in and see if it works?
Old 10-06-2016, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
^ if thats correct, then i would do as Yidney says...or you can always try to update your disc with the latest.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:56 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Had this SAME problem with our command unit. I even went as far as to buy another command unit thinking ours was going bad. Turned out to be the OEM Merc disc... Disc was in MINT condition/zero scratches. Hardly taken out actually... just one day said no map/navi... Instead of doing the least expensive method of getting the disc first as said above I got a new command but then wondered why the disc would work in mine no problem... Found another disc as mine, bought it, and put it in our Command unit. Boom. Has been working fine for over a year.

No rhyme or reason. Have zero explanation as to why. But definitely try the disc option...

-Nigel
The following users liked this post:
eddieo45 (10-08-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did try using my previous DVD, which is how I ruled out the disc. I've gone back and forth and either will work eventually, most of the time. The one I'm using - which is from the group buy I led - is the latest and the last for our cars.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:03 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The DVD drive in my CLK was beginning to make noises and about once a month, it would fail to recognized the disc. I could usually take the disc out, let it cool off (and let the drive rest) for a bit and it would work again. I've heard of some people disassembling the unit and cleaning the laser lens to extend its life. Also, the DVD drive used is supposedly the same internal part as a computer, so I have heard of doing a transplant once you find the correct part number.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
Had this SAME problem with our command unit. I even went as far as to buy another command unit thinking ours was going bad. Turned out to be the OEM Merc disc... Disc was in MINT condition/zero scratches. Hardly taken out actually... just one day said no map/navi... Instead of doing the least expensive method of getting the disc first as said above I got a new command but then wondered why the disc would work in mine no problem... Found another disc as mine, bought it, and put it in our Command unit. Boom. Has been working fine for over a year.
No rhyme or reason. Have zero explanation as to why. But definitely try the disc option...
-Nigel
I appreciate your experience, and I may in fact give it a try, but it seems unlikely to me as I have my previous disc (that I never had any problems with) and it doesn't behave any better. When I have the issue and I swap the discs back and forth either one might eventually work, likely because, like Rodney said....

Originally Posted by Rudeney
.....take the disc out, let it cool off (and let the drive rest) for a bit and it would work again.
Just a bit over 53K on my 7 year old CLK so it seems odd for this to fail, especially when combined with the GPS antenna issue, which happened only a few times, all on one trip, IIRC. I usually have the turn-by-turn directions muted and the split screen for an upcoming turn caught my eye, as I knew I still had a ways to go on the highway. There I was on the screen, driving ALONGSIDE the highway I was actually on, and I turned on the voice to hear "enter freeway, on the left".....
Old 10-08-2016, 09:55 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by eddieo45
Just a bit over 53K on my 7 year old CLK so it seems odd for this to fail, especially when combined with the GPS antenna issue, which happened only a few times, all on one trip, IIRC. I usually have the turn-by-turn directions muted and the split screen for an upcoming turn caught my eye, as I knew I still had a ways to go on the highway. There I was on the screen, driving ALONGSIDE the highway I was actually on, and I turned on the voice to hear "enter freeway, on the left".....

I have had this happen when I am driving on a road that has been altered (say lanes added or rerouted), but not updated in the map database. Most of the time, the actual location used to be off-road, so it ignores that and just puts the blue dots on the screen. But sometimes it picks up a side road or cross street and assumes I am on that, so it starts giving me directions to turn.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rudeney
The DVD drive in my CLK was beginning to make noises and about once a month, it would fail to recognized the disc. I could usually take the disc out, let it cool off (and let the drive rest) for a bit and it would work again. I've heard of some people disassembling the unit and cleaning the laser lens to extend its life. Also, the DVD drive used is supposedly the same internal part as a computer, so I have heard of doing a transplant once you find the correct part number.
I saw the post detailing the disassembly and lens cleaning; WAY too much work! I'd sooner put a new (used) COMAND in, though Nigel's experience is an interesting lesson. Has anyone used one of these cleaning discs with success?

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-29-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 CLK500 Convertible
If you buy a new the condition of the DVD drive will be unknown and since it is the same age can fail soon as well.

I had a similar problem with my Command. Eventually it stopped reading discs completly. I removed the Command, opened up the top (1 screw) and the DVD drive is just below the main board. 4 screws removes the board and 4 screws for the drive. I ordered a replacement drive for about $50.00 on line and it has been working like new ever since. Difficulty is about a degree higher to upgrading memory in a laptop.

This is the replacement drive I purchased:

DVD mechanism loader DV33M12A DV33M01A for Mercedes-Benz BMNW Group65.90-6981944 DVD ROM navigation system Chrysler Lexus

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Alpi...08.4.19.gKP5Ry
Old 07-29-2017, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Lowell100
If you buy a new the condition of the DVD drive will be unknown and since it is the same age can fail soon as well.

I had a similar problem with my Command. Eventually it stopped reading discs completly. I removed the Command, opened up the top (1 screw) and the DVD drive is just below the main board. 4 screws removes the board and 4 screws for the drive. I ordered a replacement drive for about $50.00 on line and it has been working like new ever since. Difficulty is about a degree higher to upgrading memory in a laptop.

This is the replacement drive I purchased:

DVD mechanism loader DV33M12A DV33M01A for Mercedes-Benz BMNW Group65.90-6981944 DVD ROM navigation system Chrysler Lexus

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Alpi...08.4.19.gKP5Ry
I agree about the age of a replacement COMAND (one M); they can only be OLDER than my 2009 with only 60,000 miles. One screw plus four plus four? Have you seen this tutorial? I'd rather see yours!

http://www.mercupgrades.com/Comand%2...rticle-20.html
Old 07-29-2017, 09:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 CLK500 Convertible
I have attached a pic of the version of the Command that I have.
The way I did it was much easier. It took under half hr. working slowly on my kitchen tabke to change out the drive.

First I took off the top, one screw on the back edge.

Then inside is the main board. 4 screws and a few connectors just like in a computer. Just carefully disconnect them. They are different sizes and polarzed so you can't insert them incorrecly.

Lift off the board and the drive is right below. One of the connectors you removed from the main board is the one for the drive.

There are 4 screws, one in each corner of the drive, accessable through access holes in the top of the drive. Unscrew them, angle the drive out.

Reverse to install the new drive.
Attached Thumbnails COMAND Nav starting to die...any fix or must I replace??-20170602_052720.jpg