CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

looking for info on w208 55s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by PJmak
How rare are the w208 clk55s and what are the prices like on these things nowadays? I am becoming really interested in one...

What are the common issues? Id assume its a very solid car since its from the w202 and w210 era

Are there any differences(upgrades) between different year models?

Educate me please
I purchased my 2002 CLK55 new 12 years ago. There were 3 differences in U.S. - spec cars between model years 2001 and 2002. Back then, there were very few options - basically eveything was included (xenons, rain sensing, nappa leather, blue tinted glass, etc.)

1. Wheel center caps were changed from silver painted to silver painted with the chrome star accent.

2. Ski sack pass through became standard (optional on the early cars)

3. Emergency interior trunk release...happened sometime in the late production run of the 01 models. All of the 02s have this.

When this was was released, it was the quickest and fastest production Mercedes-Benz ever produced and was the first time MB had quoted 1/4 times for the car: 13.3 @ 109.8!

This car is a blast to drive.

Best of luck in your search!
Old 04-21-2014, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
All cars rust there is no way to avoid it. The car will degrade with age in different frequency based on your climate.
In Florida the metal is known to collect humidity and the car if not driven starts to sweat creating rust. Ziebart and rutproof all you want it only makes it worse when sitting.

The 208 is well known for rust in the lower sections of the doors fairly due to the ground effects and door sealing. The car was designed for speed and benz has all corners marked with noise, wind and aerodynamic drag when forming these parts.
The cabs might have an extra bit of door shell for support but can not confirm.
My 124 has notable self cleaning characteristics and the 208 holds a nice shine when soiled as well.
Shaving weight to improve performance is an old trick but the CLK55 makes music and holds its ground in the cabin noise dept. compared to other makes of sports car of the era.
If your looking far a 12 year old hot rod then it is best to have it inspected anyway.

Gator
Old 04-25-2014, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 CLK55
I currently own a 2002 Clk55 cabriolet and love it.

As for the rust issues let me tell you rust is blind to age, make, and model. Expose any metal and it will rust. As far as production numbers I remember reading somewhere that the 2002 Cabrio's were around 600? And about 1300 in total for both body styles in the US?

Things to keep in mind:
-Bushings are a part of the control arm so they're a package deal. They also don't hold up very well.
-You have 16 spark plugs instead of 8
-Valve cover gaskets will leak and if you're mechanically inclined you can do it yourself. This is a good time to do the plugs too. Be sure to use sealant along with a new gasket or it will leak again. Let's just say I did a little test an went 50/50 as I couldn't decide which method was best.
-I hear the harmonic balancer was updated in 2002. Could be catastrophic without the updated version?
-While the brakes are pricey I would dare to say they last the price difference (longer) under normal spirited driving conditions.
-Brake light switches can go but they are very cheap.
-Gas mileage will be around 18 in mixed conditions but can drop down to 11 if you're hammering it. Just drove NYC to Boston last weekend and averaged 25 MPG.

My advice is to go for it but I would recommend playing less attention to the difference of 10 or 15k miles and more attention to the maintenance & repairs which have been completed. Also the condition of the individual car. Before even considering looking though I'd say carfax or move on to the next one.

IMHO

Last edited by clk_55; 04-25-2014 at 03:18 PM.