CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

2004 CLK 55, what makes it special for you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLK
2004 CLK 55, what makes it special for you?

Came by a 37.000 mile CLK55, 2004.

How does it feel driving a CLK55? Got a BMW 330xi, Porsche 997 Turbo and some other toys. This 55 simply looks cool.

CLK 55 is grey (metallic) and it looks so nice outside, interior is black not very special. Overall car looks elegant.

How does it feel, which features of CLK 55 make it "special" for you?
Old 02-22-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
w215 - CL55 w/stage III
what makes it special is that the AMG is still one of the few with motors that are still handbuilt - IMO thats what makes them so bulletproof - for me the clk55 is sporty yet so elegant - not like your M3's .... also, M3's are dime a dozen CLK55's not so much .. much more rare of a car ... so there, thats whats so special ... its a rare car
Old 02-24-2015, 12:58 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I like that is has awesome all round performance yet it attracts no attention whatsoever in the carpark or driving around. I like the subtlety yet people who know nothing about cars still think they are classy. I like the interior a lot, that definitely makes or breaks a car for me. I even love the clock on the dash now which I used to think was kind of weird.

It handles better than an E-class, still has decent power and huge brakes. Of course it won't compete with your porsche but is a very comfortable grand tourer.

Last edited by tw2; 02-24-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:01 PM

Z06, CLK55 & CTS-V
I have a W208 CLK55 (cab), not a W209, but I'll still offer my thoughts. I love my CLK. I had a 911 Turbo as well, but I'm glad it's gone. Mine was a nightmare. So far, my experience with the CLK has been much better. I have a few toys and I find that I'll take the CLK most days (unless the weather is perfect and then I may take my Z06). Anyway, what makes it special to me is that it's a beatifully designed car that does everything very well. It's not crazy fast, doesn't handle as neatly as some other cars, but as a total package (especially for what I paid for it), it's just a wonderful car to live with. It's easy, comfortable, roomy, yet enjoyable to drive.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:35 AM

Mercedes CLK
Originally Posted by gottspd
I have a W208 CLK55 (cab), not a W209, but I'll still offer my thoughts. I love my CLK. I had a 911 Turbo as well, but I'm glad it's gone. Mine was a nightmare. So far, my experience with the CLK has been much better. I have a few toys and I find that I'll take the CLK most days (unless the weather is perfect and then I may take my Z06). Anyway, what makes it special to me is that it's a beatifully designed car that does everything very well. It's not crazy fast, doesn't handle as neatly as some other cars, but as a total package (especially for what I paid for it), it's just a wonderful car to live with. It's easy, comfortable, roomy, yet enjoyable to drive.

thank you for the detailed reply.

I test drove a 2003 coupe yesterday and it seems to be a nice car, overall.

The doors, weight of doors were heavy, did not like the doors. 997 Turbo doors are like feathers compared to clk55 doors.

Sound was amazing, car felt planted. 37.000 miles and well preserved in the last 12 years.

Will I go for it? Dont know yet
Old 03-17-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
05 CLK55 AMG (1 of 247) Cubanitsilber designo series
What makes it special

Originally Posted by bluebottle
Came by a 37.000 mile CLK55, 2004.

How does it feel driving a CLK55? Got a BMW 330xi, Porsche 997 Turbo and some other toys. This 55 simply looks cool.

CLK 55 is grey (metallic) and it looks so nice outside, interior is black not very special. Overall car looks elegant.

How does it feel, which features of CLK 55 make it "special" for you?
The AMG M113 engine is a blueprinted, hand balanced, hand build, fully number-matched engine, something difficult to find these days. The engine is simple, no vanos-type variable timing, nothing exotic about it, but has instant torque throughout the power band. The transmission is AMG tuned, very strong, shifts instantly. The diff and final ratio are AMG, the steering, suspension, bushings, springs, shocks are all tuned by AMG. The brakes are enormous. The interior is designed for simplicity - definitely a driver's car. A long distance GT. It's a very special car.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:07 PM

Mercedes CLK
Originally Posted by floridawriter
The AMG M113 engine is a blueprinted, hand balanced, hand build, fully number-matched engine, something difficult to find these days. The engine is simple, no vanos-type variable timing, nothing exotic about it, but has instant torque throughout the power band. The transmission is AMG tuned, very strong, shifts instantly. The diff and final ratio are AMG, the steering, suspension, bushings, springs, shocks are all tuned by AMG. The brakes are enormous. The interior is designed for simplicity - definitely a driver's car. A long distance GT. It's a very special car.

Thank you for the detailed reply.

Yes CLK55 is a special vehicle. The term special is "relative". A special car for me may not be a special car for someone else.

But the CLK55 W209 has an awesome exterior. The bumpers, side sills all are beautiful.

Engine sound, test drove once, is awesome.

Interior is too much plastic. But its OK.

It is underestimated the moment rear badge is removed.

All in all it looks beautiful.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Well put by floridawriter,

A hand built special ride that commutes and stands alone when pushing hard.

Headers, tuning brakes might walk along with or leave the 997 on the track but there is a considerable weight difference. The Benz is well Engineered to survive.

Cheers, Gator