CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Keyfob working intermittently

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk w209 AMG
Keyfob working intermittently

I was hoping perhaps you might help me find out a problem with my w209 CLK.

My car's key fob only works at close range (sometimes) not never works at a distance. It is so strange..

Anyways I checked for fuses and removed the rear pillars to check for any cables out-of-order but did not seem anything unusual I was wondering what other thing I could check. My AM-FM radio reception is exceptionally good.

Also I noticed I am missing the front lower temp sensor and came across 2 stripped wires.. The car does not loose battery power if its left parked... The horn works and the alarm of the car does not make any sounds.

Driving me nuts thinking on many possibilities I think perhaps theres a wire on my SAM that might be loosen? Or perhaps something in the cars rear pillars i've not checked for'''''ground? i don't think the Rear Sam might be bad cause other functions of the car related to it seem to work fine

If you need more info to think of a possible solution let me know
\\Many thanks for all of your intentions on helping me much appreciated\\
Old 03-04-2015, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
If a W209 is like a W208, then the RF signal from the key is picked up by a receiver in the overhead console that houses the interior lights. The IR signal receiver is by the door handle. If the RF receiver is defective, then the only way to pass a signal to lock unlock is via IR, which has a much shorter range.

At my house, the keys for either Mercedes can be used to open their trunks from the master bedroom, which is upstairs in the rear of the house, while the cars are in the garage, downstairs in the front of the house. I have used the keys to lock my CLK from inside the house with the car parked across the street. HOWEVER, the city that I live in uses underground power lines. I have parked my car in places with overhead power lines and seen the signal greatly reduced due to electromagnetic interference, bleed off, or whatever the noise is that power lines produce. Are you using the keys to unlock your car near power lines? If so, do you have much better results away from power lines?
Old 03-04-2015, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Here are some photos that some guy took measuring power line bleed off -

It's not hard to see the negative impact
Old 03-23-2015, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
If it not the EMI or RFI as explained above, Standing near a window in the house while sending Lock/Unlock works best.

I usually have to point my FOB right at the door handle otherwise. Can be a sun etched or painted window on the IR receiver in the door handle. (my case)