CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

power drain in my clk55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 CLK 55 AMG.......... 2001 Corvette Z06.........
power drain in my clk55

I have had the car for about 5 years with little issues but last year the battery got weaker and weaker. I replaced it and it did alright when it was driven regularly but after sitting for a couple months it killed the new battery.

also the low volts is probably not good for the electronics in the car either as the MAF went out and triggered some kind of crap in the ecall module.(annoying sos graphic)

anyway after going through it with a meter, it reads about 2.3 amps of drain then drops to around 1.4 after a couple minutes. Some kind of self-check i presume.

about .8 of it originates from the factory amplifier, .1 originates from a solenoid wired into the amp's circuit and .35 from the ecall module.

with those items taken out of the equation the drain drops to 0.05 which I am assuming is acceptable.

solenoid is easy enough. just replace it.

amp is also easy enough once i figure out what wires go to which speaker. Luckily it is not the fiber optic amp.

the ecall/SOS module...........I have read that all i need to do is have it disabled using a star scanner. Once it is disabled, can I just remove the faulty module or do I need to keep it plugged in to get rid of that annoying sos graphic?

other notes: whoever owned the car before me had the phone module removed and I got rid of the cd changer using a special coupler that best I can tell just bridges the 2 fiber cables together to close the circuit.

I have done most of the leg work but could use some help with this last bit.

thanks,

Bobby

Last edited by dohcfiend; 04-30-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
These are tough,
You will have to start isolating circuits by pulling fuses one at a time. measure voltage drops for each circuit before and after.

Start with a fully charged battery, With a volt meter start disconnecting components.

1. alternator
2. relays
3. fuses there are 4 fuse boxes.
4. ECU disconnect battery before unplugging ECU measure at both instances. with ECU connected and ECU disconnected battery connected.

Let us know what you find. If any of these did not find the culprit then likely there is a melted harness or connector.

Last edited by GatorMB; 05-01-2016 at 03:47 PM. Reason: added content
Old 05-01-2016, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is the T-comm connector bypassed

CD changer connection

Do not mind the manicure. HaHa

Any modifications to the Fiber including deleting devices requires Star program modification.
Most inherent mods to the system usually are phone and CD changer which usually come up as not available in the command head.
The T-comm module might be different though, Mine has a jumper in place.

Best, Gator

Note: My SOS still in functional mode without telephone module. These might be independent. Also PM or research skylaw in the telematics forums.

Last edited by GatorMB; 05-01-2016 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling and content
Old 05-04-2016, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 CLK 55 AMG.......... 2001 Corvette Z06.........
gator - I have already done this. the factory amp being the major culprit at .8a, the sos module at .35a and a solenoid that is on the same circuit as the amp at .1a.

my question is regarding the sos module and getting rid of it. I have read it can be disabled in the firmware by someone with a star scanner. after that is accomplished.......does the module still need to be present or can i chuck it?

also on the fiber......I think that green thing is just a cover. To by bypass it I believe one needs a coupler. Below is what I used.

Last edited by dohcfiend; 05-04-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

dohcfiend,

Yes I was brainstoming on something else and scanned through your post too quickly missing some good details.

It should be permissible to disable with star in the SOS, Central locking system or pneumatic pump controller, believe it or not they are tied in. There are a few other systems tied in as well.

Star is time consuming unless you know exactly where you wish to explore in the software. Often it is buried deeper in other micro controllers.
Next time I log into my car I can check into the SOS system and report a Enable/dis-able toggle.
Have a very busy weekend.
Gator
Old 05-08-2016, 10:24 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Firemist O5 CLK55 Cab Silver 05 CLK55 Coupe Tanzanite 06 CLK500 Coupe
I had it disabled

SOS system was giving error message- even though I was not a subscriber-and the stealership was well familiar with the situation