CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

would you buy a "Hyper-miler" BS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by mellowyellow
Did you check into my White one with more than half the miles of that one? They definitely have good room to move on the price, I am really surprised they priced it where they did.
Was this the white one that was at the AMG road Atlanta meet? Do you know what dealership it's at now? Curious and interested...
Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 AM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster
Originally Posted by Viper98912
Was this the white one that was at the AMG road Atlanta meet? Do you know what dealership it's at now? Curious and interested...
If you mean the Private Lounge event last year, yes I was there with the car.

Sending PM now...
Old 04-06-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 VW Harlequin #25 of #264, '09 VW CC (bagged), 964 C2, and hopefully a CLK63 Black Series
ya not sure i have come across your old car yet?

ya ill be financing this car. I'm just a pretend baller for now. haha
Old 04-07-2014, 07:43 PM

ML63 AMG
If you are financing, please consider my Black. I am the second owner. I have the car on consignment at PlanetAuto in Charlotte and they offer 100% financing/zero down. Service just completed including new tires. I had the calipers powder coated red and the wheels titanium. My car is listed for $984 per month. Only 27K miles. Thanks for looking. Good luck!
http://www.planetautoimports.com/web...olina/8815821/
Old 04-08-2014, 04:42 PM

2008 CLK63 BS
Did you check into my White one with more than half the miles of that one? They definitely have good room to move on the price, I am really surprised they priced it where they did.
We are interested in your old car, I just pm'd you. I have contacted that dealer today, waiting for more information before we make an offer.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Can you send me the details? Thanks
Old 04-13-2014, 12:42 AM

2008 CLK63 BS
We decided to get the BS that was local to us, will post a thread later.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-19-2014, 02:49 PM

2010 E63
clk 63

Originally Posted by R8forCLK63BS
If you are financing, please consider my Black. I am the second owner. I have the car on consignment at PlanetAuto in Charlotte and they offer 100% financing/zero down. Service just completed including new tires. I had the calipers powder coated red and the wheels titanium. My car is listed for $984 per month. Only 27K miles. Thanks for looking. Good luck!
http://www.planetautoimports.com/web...olina/8815821/
I literally just got done looking at that car. It's very nice and I'm considering following up with them for further negotiation. The sales person was trying to tell me something about that being Denny Hamlin's (NASCAR driver) car, which if true would be completely irrelevant to me but I thought it was interesting they were trying to use that as a selling point. There was also no mention of it being on consignment, from the carfax it looked to me like they bought it at auction? Any light you could care to shed would be great.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:31 PM

ML63 AMG
The owner of Planet Auto, Jeff Tomascak, also buys cars for his customers. Thats probably why you think Planet bought the car on the Carfax. They bought it for me. I have been buying from him for years. He secured this Black Series for me in December of 2012. It was a perfect one owner car from California. I still own the car now, and I am not involved with Nascar. Perhaps the salesperson confused it with another Black Series they are selling. You never know what the regular sales persons say.. I would be happy to answer any questions about the car, as it is an excellent example and also just serviced. Thanks for looking. Dave
Old 04-19-2014, 06:33 PM

2010 E63
clk 63

Originally Posted by R8forCLK63BS
The owner of Planet Auto, Jeff Tomascak, also buys cars for his customers. Thats probably why you think Planet bought the car on the Carfax. They bought it for me. I have been buying from him for years. He secured this Black Series for me in December of 2012. It was a perfect one owner car from California. I still own the car now, and I am not involved with Nascar. Perhaps the salesperson confused it with another Black Series they are selling. You never know what the regular sales persons say.. I would be happy to answer any questions about the car, as it is an excellent example and also just serviced. Thanks for looking. Dave
PM sent!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 124 Likes on 43 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
I was looking at AutoTrader tonight, and the higher mileage Black Series (over 40,000 miles) seem to just be sitting on the market going nowhere....some have been available for around a year now. Prices in the mid $40k - $50k range and still going nowhere. While I don't care about mileage, it does scare me that you cannot seem to give these cars away with over 40,000 miles. That seems crazy for so much car.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:07 AM

2010 E63
Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
That seems crazy for so much car.
I think that's the story with almost every AMG though. Tons of car for the money due to the massive depreciation. The CLKBS is not immune to this despite its relative rarity. There's a very limited market for these vehicles and several downsides that I see:

- limited practicality. Could get C63 for far less $ and way more practicality and have plenty left over for mods/maintenance. Some of these CLKBS are even priced at 2012+ E63 levels. You could make the argument that the other AMGs generally aren't 'track' oriented vehicles, but unless you absolutely have to have a Mercedes to take to the track there are far better choices out there for the $.
- car is getting older and the newer AMGs keep getting better. This vehicle is hardly the peak example of their engineering and the more I read about it it seems like there were lots of compromises made. Only 2 seats but still weighs almost 4,000 lb?
- not a unique engine/drivetrain
- price is propped up in part I believe by collectors who sit on the cars but don't drive them further reducing the supply, as well as the limited initial supply of 350 units. If they had brought 3500 over instead of 350 what would the price be today? They created an artificial scarcity without differentiating the car enough from the rest of the lineup.
- Sellers also don't want to lose thousands on a car they may have put 5,000 miles on and thus are holding prices high hoping for a 'collector' type to come along and pay a premium
- Typical AMG maintenance costs

Despite the above I would think there are enough AMG enthusiasts out there to move the cars at those prices you listed.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by djhudson
- car is getting older and the newer AMGs keep getting better.
IMO, probably the biggest factor. Value proposition isn’t there when you consider alternatives in the $50K to $70K spot (e.g. 981 Cayman/Boxster, 997 GTS, Audi RS5, GTR, M3/4). So you first need to find a buyer who's aware of the story and then convince that buyer to forgo any number of performance and technological advances (mostly tech) found in a 2012 + automobile to purchase a $60,000 7 year old Mercedes. Yeah, it looks great and is a hoot to drive, but collision avoidance, voice commands, integrated iPod/Bluetooth, modern nav and lower miles would be nice. And I think that plays into the decision and thins the market. The buyer of the CLK BS is going be the more hard core enthusiast. We're out there, but obviously not in sufficient numbers.

Last edited by NYC_Z06; 04-21-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:39 AM

Received 108 Likes on 80 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
I was looking at AutoTrader tonight, and the higher mileage Black Series (over 40,000 miles) seem to just be sitting on the market going nowhere....some have been available for around a year now. Prices in the mid $40k - $50k range and still going nowhere. While I don't care about mileage, it does scare me that you cannot seem to give these cars away with over 40,000 miles. That seems crazy for so much car.
FYI, a handful of these cars that are still listed on AutoTrader are sold already, especially if they're privately listed; people (myself included) have sold cars on autotrader and never bother to edit the post till the deadline to renew (one year?) is up, or when there were too many buyers calling/emailing about the car after its sold already then the post wil be edited an taken down.

With that said, the comments from those in doubt in the sales performance on these cars in the market should really be taken with a 50/50.