CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Clear Suspension Malfuntion Warning after Installing Arnotts Air Spring CLS 550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 (W211)
Question Clear Suspension Malfuntion Warning after Installing Arnotts Air Spring CLS 550

Hello guys,

I have been having air suspension malfunction warning for few weeks then I see my car started going down after idle for a day or 2. Took it to Mercedes and they said the right rear air spring is leaking. It was going to cost $3300. So I went for the Arnotts Air Spring.

I installed it during the weekend. The car is performing good but the malfunction warning light is still on. I connected the car to STAR but I don't know how to clear the warning.

Is there any way to clear this warning message or it's gonna be there forever because I didn't use the MB manufactured air spring?

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:24 PM

08 CLS550 Black 1995 Chev Pickup
I believe there is a tab that wiil clear all codes and then rescan. I can't remember where I saw it on the star system. Not much help....
Old 04-27-2016, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 722 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Run a "Quick Test". In the suspension line you should find an "F" (current) or "f" (stored) fault code. Highlight that line, hit F3, "faults", "current" and "stored". F9 to erase. "Are you sure?" Yes. Switch key off for one second and then switch key back on to position 2.

You can also go to "Control Units", "Chassis", "Airmatic", and check the sub-system.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:01 AM

2003 E500 (W211)
Thanks. I'll try that when I get home this afternoon and report back.

Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Run a "Quick Test". In the suspension line you should find an "F" (current) or "f" (stored) fault code. Highlight that line, hit F3, "faults", "current" and "stored". F9 to erase. "Are you sure?" Yes. Switch key off for one second and then switch key back on to position 2.

You can also go to "Control Units", "Chassis", "Airmatic", and check the sub-system.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:35 AM

2003 E500 (W211)
When I connected the STAR, I did see 2 faulty codes which are below. It says current and stored.

I cleared it, switch off and on the ignition and the code came back. And I still have the airmatic malfunction warning on the screen.

The codes are:

5220 Y52 (right front axle damping valve unit) Y52y1 (Right frong solenoid valve 1): Open circuit.

5230 Y52 (right frong axle damping valve unit) Y52y2 (Right front solenoid valve 2): Open circuit.

Does anyone knows what this means please?

The good news is the car is not going down again. The air springs now works fine.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:22 AM

05 E55 AMG, 05 S2000
Hey OP,

Not stealing your thread, but I have the exact same issue.

Mine is:
5220 Y52 (right front axle damping valve unit) Y52y1 (Right front solenoid valve 1): Open circuit.

I haven't replaced the Air strut yet like you have(mine isn't leaking by the looks of it). I do keep reading that it could be a wire that's cut, or not connected properly.

So just wanted to let you know it could be wiring that's the issue somewhere in between. Where is the part that I don't know & has me completely frustrated lol.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by LoveMyAMG
I haven't replaced the Air strut yet like you have(mine isn't leaking by the looks of it). I do keep reading that it could be a wire that's cut, or not connected properly.
More than likely strut needs replacement. Diagram shows left, same for right (y52).
Attached Thumbnails Clear Suspension Malfuntion Warning after Installing Arnotts Air Spring CLS 550-capture.jpg   Clear Suspension Malfuntion Warning after Installing Arnotts Air Spring CLS 550-capture2.jpg  

Last edited by konigstiger; 06-30-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
MERCEDES-BENZ CL-CLASS
Did you replace both rear springs?

Originally Posted by kaybal
Hello guys,

I have been having air suspension malfunction warning for few weeks then I see my car started going down after idle for a day or 2. Took it to Mercedes and they said the right rear air spring is leaking. It was going to cost $3300. So I went for the Arnotts Air Spring.
Thank you for selecting the Arnott designed air springs. Sorry to hear you have a fault code. You may want to call Arnott Tech Support at 321-868-3016

Did you replace both O.E. rear springs with Arnott A-2724 rear springs? I'm not sure it would result in a front strut fault code but they should be replaced in pairs since the Arnott spring is designed differently to compensate for not needing the reservoir. The dealer would have wanted to replace both also but that is because the replacement process is cumbersome for the O.E. and they don't want to do again in a few weeks/months if the other side goes bad.

From the A-2724 manual:

"Replacing just one O.E. spring with the Arnott designed air spring may result in a slight difference in heights between the O.E. side and new air spring side. This is due to the vehicle's ride height sensor reading the different pressures in the new and O.E. springs and automatically making adjustments for that. This does not occur if you replace both sides at once"

Again, I have not heard that it causes a fault code in the front.

Last edited by arnottdoug; 06-30-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by arnottdoug
Thank you for selecting the Arnott designed air springs. Sorry to hear you have a fault code. You may want to call Arnott Tech Support at 321-868-3016

Did you replace both O.E. rear springs with Arnott A-2724 rear springs? I'm not sure it would result in a front strut fault code but they should be replaced in pairs since the Arnott spring is designed differently to compensate for not needing the reservoir. The dealer would have wanted to replace both also but that is because the replacement process is cumbersome for the O.E. and they don't want to do again in a few weeks/months if the other side goes bad.

From the A-2724 manual:

"Replacing just one O.E. spring with the Arnott designed air spring may result in a slight difference in heights between the O.E. side and new air spring side. This is due to the vehicle's ride height sensor reading the different pressures in the new and O.E. springs and automatically making adjustments for that. This does not occur if you replace both sides at once"

Again, I have not heard that it causes a fault code in the front.
-------------

Doug,
Thank you for replying here. As you know, many of us own Mercedes Benz vehicles with airmatic suspension. When we are faced with replacement, an aftermarket alternative is always desired and that product support, such as responsiveness, is very valuable to us and ultimately, to Arnott.
I expect you will have many customers in the future and we all want to be successful.
Thanks again,

Rick Hesek
Northborough, MA
The following users liked this post:
arnottdoug (05-21-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 04:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
X204 GLK 2014 / CLS C257 2018
So, it's a late answer but maybe we can help some other people. I had the same error, after some playing with my airstrut (change, fit coil spring, reinsert), it was the connector itself. I did a radical solution, after some failures, I directly connected the wires from one to another. Everything works perfectly for some time now, no errors, the ride is much smoother then before.
My advice is to find a very good quality 3-pin conector and change the one that you have. The only one problem is, when you buy a new one(airstrut) you'll have to modify as well so you can fit it. Take care about that.

Last edited by dkbkl; 08-06-2019 at 06:43 PM.
god.among.men (04-23-2022)
Old 09-04-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
05 W211 E500, 03 C215 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by dkbkl
So, it's a late answer but maybe we can help some other people. I had the same error, after some playing with my airstrut (change, fit coil spring, reinsert) and it was the connector itself. I did a radical solution, after some failures, I directly connected the wires from one to another. Everything works perfectly for some time now, no errors, the ride is much smoother then before.
My advice is to find a very good quality 3-pin connector and change the one that you have. The only one problem is, when you buy a new one(airstrut) you'll have to modify as well so you can fit it. Take care about that.
Can you elaborate more?
Is this pertaining to front air struts or rear air springs?

Did you break the connector off on both ends and solder the wires together?
I am having the same issue, y53 y1/2 open circuit, as well.

Anyways, I have an 05 E500 W211.

To recap, about a year ago my ride was very rough and I had the visit workshop.
I replaced the rear air springs with new arnott 2724s as a pair and it solved the rough ride issue.

I still had the visit workshop on the dash but I cannot tell you if it was the same error code as I did not have star at the time.

Anyways, I've been having the visit workshop randomly since.
I can get it after driving for 10mins or 30mins. I could also not get it all during a drive.

There seems to be no specific thing to cause the message to occur.
Whenever I check it with start it shows stored, not current; it is an interment fault.

When the message appears, the rear feels very bouncy on the driver side.
About 2 months ago I replaced the wiring harness that splits off to both air springs to a central connector that runs into the car from the undercarriage.
That did not solve the issue.

Per recommendation, I replaced the driver rear with another rear arnott.
Ride quality seemed to be improved, but after about 30mins of driving I got the same visit workshop message.

I have not verified if it's the same y53 open circuit yet.
The only two airmatic errors I've had in star were y53 open circuit and one pertaining to the air compressor not pressuring the system in a certain amount of time.

I think the issue has to be a poor connection somewhere in the wiring harness or perhaps a faulty airmatic control module.
I don't know what else could possibly affect the rear spring.

I did find this post https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-problems.html

I started to get that "Malfunction" with the up arrow inside the car on startup, every startup!

No physical signs. Last time, over a month or two ago, my car just was dumped, and my airmatic control module had a tiny wire that wasn't connected all the way, the dealer, luckily, found that wire at the time and got it connected, barely.
Perhaps a similar issue?

Last edited by Agent-A01; 09-04-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
X204 GLK 2014 / CLS C257 2018
So, problem was only with front AIRSTRUT, right side. All the time, the same problem. When I was bumping over something, or some rough roads, I got the sign of AIRMATIC MALFUNCTION. No other problems, everything worked fine, just this. Because of the left airstrut collapsed (bad one), I had to change both (tried the coil ones for some time - not happy at all). So, when I put the airstrut back, I saw that something is just not right with the connector (lower one). I cut it directly, find the correspondence between and NEVER had any problems since, more than one year ago. Hope that helps.
bbirdwell (09-05-2018)