2016 NAV update available

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 09:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2014 CLS550
2016 NAV update available

Hi,
I received a note from MB that a 2016 update to the NAV software is available for my 09 CLS550.
Does anybody here know what other models use this same NAV system?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-15-2016, 11:42 AM

2014 CLS550
I update my Nav software, to 2016, over the weekend. It went pretty smooth.
I needed to remove all 6 disc that were in the changer. This was because the 2 discs that contain the new software will throw an error when installed. The install instructions mentioned this and it said to wait a few minutes and it self corrects. If you have other discs in the changer, the Comand will just advance to those and bypass the Nav update. The instructions also mention to hook a battery charger up since the update takes approximately 90 minutes and you can't be driving around.

Rick H
Old 08-25-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 CLS63 AMG
I should get the new Nav DVDs today. (I have a 2011 CLS63) I'll let you know what it lists (fitting) on the back of the case, when I get it.

I got the notice from MB-Nav too. They wanted $250+tax+shipping. So I drove the 7 miles to my dealer and they ordered it, gave me the good guy discount (10%), and are mailing it to my house; all for $238 in sum
(BTW: you have to ask for the good guy discount, as there is no way to tell if you're a turd or not when you walk in.)
Old 08-25-2016, 03:10 PM

2011 CLS63 AMG
Fitting:

Here you go. On the back of the DVD case...
Old 08-25-2016, 04:34 PM

2014 CLS550
Yes, I have the same one.
Too bad you ordered it. I could have sent you mine and we could have worked something out to share the cost.
I recommend connecting a battery charger while doing the update. The update took 90 minutes and you should not be driving while it is loading. I have a 10 amp charger and it worked well.
Also, take all the discs out of your changer. (I have a 6 disc changer in my car).
Something else I learned: If you had any NAV addresses in memory that were "new" and Comand gave you an "Off the mapped roads" message, you may need to re-enter those addresses. This happened to me yesterday.

Rick H
Old 08-26-2016, 09:13 AM

2011 CLS63 AMG
Thanks for the tips Rick. Wish I would have pinged you a few days ago to ask if you still had the DVDs! (Well, now maybe others can ping you AND me to see if we can work something out

Did the update toss out all of your saved addresses? Or just the off-road ones (and WHY are you driving your CLS in the woods anyway!)
Cheers
-Rob
Old 08-26-2016, 02:06 PM

2014 CLS550
I found that, with the right tire package, my CLS is an awesome off road vehicle! Hill climbs are a blast!
On a serious side, no, all saved (memorized) addresses and POI's are preserved. Only addresses that are new since your previous update may need to be reentered.
A friend built a house in New Hampshire on the end of a dead end road. Brand new address. I had visited him last year and Comand didn't recognize it. I went up to see him again, last week (after my update), and Comand did not bring me to his house. I reentered his address and Nav took me right to his driveway.

Remember, your car battery will not last long enough, on its own, for the update. Connect a charger, per the instructions, and you won't have any issues.

Rick
Old 08-26-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 CLS550
Any noticeable improvements with update?
Old 08-27-2016, 09:04 AM

2014 CLS550
The graphics seem more enhanced. Instead of a fuel station "gas pump" symbol, the brand logo is now shown (Shell, Sunoco, etc.). The voice is even more polite than before.
POI's are identified a little better. State and town parks are identified vs just shown as green patches as in the previous version. Restaurants are identified but mostly chain type. Not many private restaurants.
Living in New England, traffic and construction alerts would have been a great improvement. I think that is more than just the mapping software, however.
I need to use it a few more times to really say if it is worth the $$. There has been a lot of new building development over the past 10 years, here. Houses, shopping centers, restaurants as well as commercial and industrial.
I will post any further opinions as I use my Nav.

Rick