C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Window Tint Ideas / Show me what you got

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C2S CAB & C6Z06 & CLS63
Window Tint Ideas / Show me what you got

Going to get the matte silver 63AMG tinted on Monday. I am thinking of doing the following:

rear window: 20%
Rear passenger windows: 20%
front windows: 50%
windshield: 70%

Goal: Would like privacy for the rear of the car and have a nice dark look to it. Don't want the passenger windows too dark because I don't want to be hassled with "please pull me over" (murdered look) in California.

Would 50% on the windshield be obvious that it's tinted or would it look like its from the rear tints?

I have seen 35% all around (no windshield), it's not that dark (daytime) but the passenger windows seems dark enough to be hassled.

Any thoughts on this combination? Any recommendations?

Also any recommendations on the type of tint?

If you guys can post up your photos, tint type and % on your windows that would be great?

Thanks!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
I have 55% on all windows including the windshield. The power rear windshield screen makes the rear windshield look a LOT darker. The front windshield being tinted gives the light entering the car a certain uniformity when you're sitting in the cabin. I love it.

I might get some stick on mesh screens for the back side windows but I'm not sure yet. I went with a light tint because NJ tint laws are rather strict.

The 55% windshield tint is extremely easy to see through under any light conditions BUT you will notice the difference when you're stopped next to an untinted car.

I don't think you'll be hassled -- I've been pulled over for no front plate without hearing a word about my tints. I reckoned if this cop is going to cross three lanes of traffic and a double yellow line to get to me for such a minor infraction (iirc $60 + fees) that he would definitely write me up for the tints but... nothing. When I commented that he had a good eye to spot me from the other side of the road, he said I wasn't the first person he wrote a ticket for no front plate that day...

So idk, I assume there's always the chance you'll run into a rogue cop on a mission but... I think most of them can't tell a 55% tint from no tint from behind their 5% windows and oakley sunglasses. Aroudn 40-45% the difference becomes much more obvious

Here is an example of how angle and lighting can make even a 55% tint look murdered out.

This is my ride with 55% 3m tints on front windshield + all around.

BEFORE WINDSHIELD TINT

AFTER WINDSHIELD TINT

Last edited by dcjwlee; 01-06-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:57 AM

CLK550
Ive got 20% on my front windows and 5% on the 3 rears. only been pulled over once, love the privacy and the feeling that people arent looking to see whats in my backseats when im not around
Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 AM

Btw, congrats on the purchase! I wish I made enough to buy one!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:24 PM

C2S CAB & C6Z06 & CLS63
Originally Posted by dcjwlee
I have 55% on all windows including the windshield. The power rear windshield screen makes the rear windshield look a LOT darker. The front windshield being tinted gives the light entering the car a certain uniformity when you're sitting in the cabin. I love it.

I might get some stick on mesh screens for the back side windows but I'm not sure yet. I went with a light tint because NJ tint laws are rather strict.

The 55% windshield tint is extremely easy to see through under any light conditions BUT you will notice the difference when you're stopped next to an untinted car.

I don't think you'll be hassled -- I've been pulled over for no front plate without hearing a word about my tints. I reckoned if this cop is going to cross three lanes of traffic and a double yellow line to get to me for such a minor infraction (iirc $60 + fees) that he would definitely write me up for the tints but... nothing. When I commented that he had a good eye to spot me from the other side of the road, he said I wasn't the first person he wrote a ticket for no front plate that day...

So idk, I assume there's always the chance you'll run into a rogue cop on a mission but... I think most of them can't tell a 55% tint from no tint from behind their 5% windows and oakley sunglasses. Aroudn 40-45% the difference becomes much more obvious

Here is an example of how angle and lighting can make even a 55% tint look murdered out.
Thanks for the writeup. The front windshield makes a big difference. Your car seems quite dark all around for 55%. Is it the lighting and angle?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:28 PM

C2S CAB & C6Z06 & CLS63
Originally Posted by whtclk
Ive got 20% on my front windows and 5% on the 3 rears. only been pulled over once, love the privacy and the feeling that people arent looking to see whats in my backseats when im not around
Doesn't 5% seem to dark to spot out cops pacing at night or have you adapted to it?

Btw, congrats on the purchase! I wish I made enough to buy one!
Thanks. Just DECIDE & BELIEVE that your going to get one or whatever you want and you WILL find a way to get there.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM

The second photo from the top is the most accurate representation of what a 55% tint will look like under almost any light setting. You can CLEARLY see through the tint under ANY circumstances -- well-lit or not.

Approaching the car at an angle will make the tints seem a LOT darker. The pictures are all accurate representations but you have to account for the angle + interior color more than lighting. Notice how the tints look darker in Picture 1 versus Picture 2? Number one was on a SUNNY day mid-summer and number two was on an overcast day but the picture was shot at a more direct angle.

For most people, 40% seems to be the starting point. Anything lighter really doesn't block any light coming into the cabin but it DOES change the intensity and color of it.

That's why I decided to go ahead and do the windshield about a month after I did the rest of my tints. Sunlight passing through the tints had a greenish hue to it, while the sunlight coming through the untinted windshield was a bright white.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, S550, Tesla Model S Performance, Challenger SRT8
I do 15% on the front + rear windows of my cars and love the look. Never been pulled over, even when I'm driving next to a cop. From what I hear, San Diego is lenient on tint, but LA is pretty strick on tint but YMMV depending on where you live. Personally, I'd never but tint on the windshield, even if it was only 70%.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:04 AM

C2S CAB & C6Z06 & CLS63
The second photo from the top is the most accurate representation of what a 55% tint will look like under almost any light setting. You can CLEARLY see through the tint under ANY circumstances -- well-lit or not.

Approaching the car at an angle will make the tints seem a LOT darker. The pictures are all accurate representations but you have to account for the angle + interior color more than lighting. Notice how the tints look darker in Picture 1 versus Picture 2? Number one was on a SUNNY day mid-summer and number two was on an overcast day but the picture was shot at a more direct angle.

For most people, 40% seems to be the starting point. Anything lighter really doesn't block any light coming into the cabin but it DOES change the intensity and color of it.

That's why I decided to go ahead and do the windshield about a month after I did the rest of my tints. Sunlight passing through the tints had a greenish hue to it, while the sunlight coming through the untinted windshield was a bright white.
That what I thought, angles and times of the day.

Originally Posted by MercPlease
I do 15% on the front + rear windows of my cars and love the look. Never been pulled over, even when I'm driving next to a cop. From what I hear, San Diego is lenient on tint, but LA is pretty strick on tint but YMMV depending on where you live. Personally, I'd never but tint on the windshield, even if it was only 70%.
I don't think I can get away with 15% on the front. I am sure it looks good that dark.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55
I think 50% on the windshield would be ideal. I'm running 30% ceramic on all windows and 60% ceramic on the front windshield.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:31 PM

12 CLS63
50% front windshield, rest 35%, ceramic. I love it, always do my cars w/ this combo. http://ind-style.com/2011/12/12/1242/
Old 01-09-2012, 01:19 PM

C2S CAB & C6Z06 & CLS63
Originally Posted by togaclk55
I think 50% on the windshield would be ideal. I'm running 30% ceramic on all windows and 60% ceramic on the front windshield.
Originally Posted by ajag
50% front windshield, rest 35%, ceramic. I love it, always do my cars w/ this combo. http://ind-style.com/2011/12/12/1242/

50% windshield would be nice with 35% all around. I just dropped of my car and I will be getting:

20% rear window
20% rear passenger windows
50% front windows
70% windshield

Pics coming soon...
Old 01-11-2012, 01:51 PM

C2S CAB & C6Z06 & CLS63

Here are the pics below right after sunset. The color of the car seems to vary from the time of day. From the rear and rear windows it's quite dark and not easy to see in. But at night it's still easy to see out in the rear view mirror and spot the type of cars behind you.

The passenger windows you can see in but obviously the window looks tinted and darker than 50% due to the fact the windshield is tinted. I would say the passenger windows look close to a 35%.

I think the car is dark enough in the rear and a nice balance in the front without asking to get pulled over.

For some reason to me, the car appears a bit smaller and sportier with the tints. I think it went from a classy point to more of a aggressive sporty look.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
Originally Posted by 805Benz

Here are the pics below right after sunset. The color of the car seems to vary from the time of day. From the rear and rear windows it's quite dark and not easy to see in. But at night it's still easy to see out in the rear view mirror and spot the type of cars behind you.

The passenger windows you can see in but obviously the window looks tinted and darker than 50% due to the fact the windshield is tinted. I would say the passenger windows look close to a 35%.

I think the car is dark enough in the rear and a nice balance in the front without asking to get pulled over.

For some reason to me, the car appears a bit smaller and sportier with the tints. I think it went from a classy point to more of a aggressive sporty look.

what color is that? is it matte? i love it
Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 PM

C2S CAB & C6Z06 & CLS63
Originally Posted by 02S430
what color is that? is it matte? i love it
Yes, Magno Alanite Grey. Thanks!