Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

windshield cleaning problem.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 clk320
windshield cleaning problem.

need help with windshield problem. I had try several brand of windex for my windshield but I still can't removed the dirty mark.. how should I say this ...when raining specially at night the windshield look real bed I couldn't see it real clear plus the reflection of the income light from the another cars..the wipers is in a good condition. just removed those dirty spots on the windshield.....any suggestion....

Thanks
Old 03-07-2003, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320
one method I know

I'm not sure if you're in the U.S., but here's a product I know of:

it's a non-abrasive cleanser call Bon Ami (for use on the outside of the windshield)

make a paste w/ water and use either paper towels or a sponge and go over the windshield thoroughly...it should disloge and remove the crud. You'll proably see black / gray stuff coming off onto the towel.

You don't need to use much pressure - plus the cleanser is pretty safe to use on glass and won't scratch.

then use windex and paper towels to clean the residue off.

What happens is the oils and rubber residue from the road get stuck to the glass.

Another thing to do is clean the wiper blade - it accumulates this grunge as well. Dampen a paper towel (or cloth) and the the surface of the wiper blade.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:16 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
I recently de-water spotted all my windows but I hesitate to recommend since it is a bit extreme. I tried windex, mixtures of ammonia and water, and windsheild water spot removers from the auto parts store. While they did remove some of the spots, it took forever to see any real results, so I was ready for some drastic action.

Went to a paint store and bought #0000 steel wool and used a a cleaner from here in Hawaii, DiamondMagic and was able to do all the windows in one afternoon. The hardest part was to rub lightly, since I didn't want to take any chances of scratching the glass surface. It worked great, no scratches and then I Rain-X'd all the glass surfaces.