Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Chipsaway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 320
Chipsaway

Anyone have any experience with Chipsaway? My source for detailing supplies gave them a good review. The website is www.chipsaway.com. Any thoughts or input are appreciated as I am trying to avoid repainting my hood. Anyone know of a similar product or process that they can recommend? Thanks.

Last edited by CLK 320; 02-19-2003 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:54 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 S63 AMG / 2008 ML 350
I used them. They did good work. My problems were a few small chips on one of my black cars. the chips really stood out, but they were not so bad as to warrant a re-paint.

ChipsAway masked them fairly well. Now, they don't make the imperfections totally disappear, but I really have to look for where they did the work.

Overall, if your problem with you hood is not too bad, and if the chips are fairly small they should do a creditable job. I looked at them as an alternative to a repaint, until further chips appear. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:27 AM

2001 CLK 320
Thanks

Thanks for the input. It seems odd to me that this company is pretty much unknown, yet seems to have been around for more than ten years. You would think that if a process is cheaper than repainting yet yields good results that it would have caught on by now. (Sort of like paintless dent removal did.) Did you consider any other options? Awhile back I remember coming across a system called Langka, but that is a kit that you buy and apply yourself. As you know, Chipsaway is a franchise wherein you either go to a franchise location or someone comes to you. Personally, I would rather have someone with a lot of experience try this (i.e. Chipsaway) than have me learn on my own car (i.e. Langka). Also they seem to custom blend the paint to match yours, which, of course, has changed slightly since leaving the factory. All in all I 'm trying to ascertain all of my options before making a decision. I really do not want to repaint my hood. (See my post below). If anyone else has any thoughts, experience, or options, please post. Thanks again.

Last edited by CLK 320; 02-21-2003 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:26 PM

They're pretty popular in UK..
Old 03-08-2003, 11:01 AM

Porsche 997 C2S
Re: Thanks

Originally posted by CLK 320
Thanks for the input. It seems odd to me that this company is pretty much unknown, yet seems to have been around for more than ten years. You would think that if a process is cheaper than repainting yet yields good results that it would have caught on by now. (Sort of like paintless dent removal did.) Did you consider any other options? Awhile back I remember coming across a system called Langka, but that is a kit that you buy and apply yourself. As you know, Chipsaway is a franchise wherein you either go to a franchise location or someone comes to you. Personally, I would rather have someone with a lot of experience try this (i.e. Chipsaway) than have me learn on my own car (i.e. Langka). Also they seem to custom blend the paint to match yours, which, of course, has changed slightly since leaving the factory. All in all I 'm trying to ascertain all of my options before making a decision. I really do not want to repaint my hood. (See my post below). If anyone else has any thoughts, experience, or options, please post. Thanks again.
Do you know where a local chipsaway shop is? I once talked to Larry at carcareonline.com and he said that the results can be like "smoke and mirrors" -- simply fantastic. however, he added the caveat that it depended on who did it -- that apparently there were some that were skilled at it, and some that weren't. Larry's never steered me wrong in the many years he's given me advice on paint, detailing, etc., and perhaps it's worth a shot?
Old 03-08-2003, 01:52 PM

2001 CLK 320
Chipsaway

Larry is the one who told me! You are correct, Larry has always been a great source of information for me as well. I live on Long Island, and he indicated that my local guy was good. When I called the number off the company website someone called me back and had to look up the names and numbers of franchisees in my area. If you are interested in using them, I think that is the only way to find someone in your area. If you decide to use them please post and let us know how it came out. I won't have time to have it done until the weather gets warmer.