Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Grease-streaks on my windshield! How do I remove it? HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grease-streaks on my windshield! How do I remove it? HELP

Hi! I have a CLK 320 convertible and the windshield has this grease-streak like substance on it. I've tried everything to remove it. I've tried windex, maguir's, plain soap and water and its not working, all it does is smear it more. I've even tried using a microfibre cloth, 100% cotton, newspaper, and no progress. I can see clearly when I'm driving but if you look from the outside its horrible. Does anyone have a solution for this?

I will try anything!! Thanks!
Old 07-28-2004, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meechelle
Hi! I have a CLK 320 convertible and the windshield has this grease-streak like substance on it. I've tried everything to remove it. I've tried windex, maguir's, plain soap and water and its not working, all it does is smear it more. I've even tried using a microfibre cloth, 100% cotton, newspaper, and no progress. I can see clearly when I'm driving but if you look from the outside its horrible. Does anyone have a solution for this?

I will try anything!! Thanks!
Are the streaks on the inside or outside?

If on the outside, which I doubt, then you can use something like Dawn (or any dish soap) to wash the glass as dish soap is designed to cut grease and oil.

If on the interior then what you are experiencing is most likely from your interior "gassing off". It looks like an oily film that just seems to streak from one side to the other when wiped. What needs to be done is your glass needs to be stripped.

If you have some microfiber towels wash them in hot water, a few drops of distilled vinegar and then dry them on "fluff". Use no softner either in the rinse or the dryer as fabric softner will cause more streaking.

Mix up a solution of distilled water and amonia, try a 80% water/20% amonia mixture, and spray it on a MF towel and polish the glass with it. Re-apply it and then use another MF towel to buff it dry. You may need to do this several times but after the initial cleaning you shoul dnow only need to use a regular window cleaner, I recommend Eagle One's 20/20.

Newspaper can be used also as it makes a great polisher BUT be careful not to get ink transfer from your hands onto the cars interior.

Another hom eremedy, although a messy one, is to use a damp MF towel and cornstarch. Pour a small amount of cornstarch onto the damp towel and rub it into the glass very well (some towels on the dash help the clean up). Then use either Eagle One or plain water to clean up any residue from the cornstarch.

Hope this helps,
Anthony