New member Bluetec questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
2019 E300 4matic
New member Bluetec questions

Hey guys!
I've had Mercedes diesels for about thirty years now. A few months ago I bought a 2008 E320 Bluetec. The car was great for a couple of months but I've been having problems lately.

I had the oil cooler seals replaced in December and everything was fine. Then in mid February I came to a stop and there was a noticeable rough shift from 2nd to 1st gear. Then when I tried to accelerate it was like the turbo wasn't functioning. No power, no kick down, nothing. When it happens there's always the rough shift from 2nd to 1st gear. I can use the manual transmission function and I can accelerate but it's very SLOW! If I turn the car off and restart everythings fine. I scanned the car with my icarsoft and the swirl motor code popped (No CEL).I took it to my mechanic and they replaced the turbo and the swirl MOTOR ($$$$) and went on my way. Whenever it happens and I scan the car the swirl motor pops up again ("position sensor indicates intake manifold shut off motor malfunction").

Last week it happened again with the same series of events. I took it to a guy I trust and he says that it needs a new intake Manifold ($$$$).

My questions are: does this seem right and am I in for more trouble down the road? I've talked to other bluetec owners and they can't believe the problems I've had. Like I said, I've had mercedes diesels for years and never had problems even close to being this expensive before.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I read the problems with gummed-up intakes and keep fingers crossed for my intake that passed 180k miles.
So yes, when cleaning the manifold is an option, with US labor charges getting new one makes more sense.
Chances are your turbo was misdiagnosed in the first place, but that is water under the bridge.
Unfortunately new technology when giving unbelievable performance from the engine, becomes more complicated and costly.
Read about direct injection gasoline problems. Great engines when they work....

Last edited by kajtek1; 03-03-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:29 PM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
2019 E300 4matic
Thanks kajtek1. You were right, I think this forum will be much better than the other one for diesel questions. I think I'll wait until May to get It taken care of. He has a backlog of cars and said it probably will take around two weeks when i drop it off. I'll wait till cabriolet weather and drive the other car over the summer.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 504 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
I've heard it said that slow and gentle driving will clog up the IM quickly. I often drive mine like I stole it in an attempt to not have that soot build up. Not beating on it, but a good flogging is good for the heart.