Turbo rebuld

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Turbo rebuild

I am in process of replacing short block on OM642 engine and found that at 180k miles the original turbo has some play. I am not eager to spend more money, as the planned budget goes into red in alarming speed, but than turbo is hard to access and doing that job down the road will bring additional problems.
Anybody can recommend rebuild shop or even better - source of rebuild kit?
I know shipping is cheap, so sending it to any place on Earth is possible.

Last edited by kajtek1; 03-04-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Turbo rebuild

Originally Posted by kajtek1
I am in process of replacing short block on OM642 engine and found that at 180k miles the original turbo has some play. I am not eager to spend more money, as the planned budget goes into red in alarming speed, but than turbo is hard to access and doing that job down the road will bring additional problems.
Anybody can recommend rebuild shop or even better - source of rebuild kit?
I know shipping is cheap, so sending it to any place on Earth is possible.
Well, this answered my mileage question from the previous post. I believe that the turbo units used on the OM642 V6 Diesel is a Honeywell-Garrett unit. I think it is the GTB2056VK (there is a GTA also depending on model and year). These are commonly available units and are rebuildable or you can exchange your core for a new or rebuilt unit. The tag on the unit will i.d. it positively. Parts and/or turbo assembly units are available in the USA and the UK and elsewhere. I am curious which oil you commonly used and how often you changed it? Also am wondering if you allowed your engine to warm up for any appreciable time at idle before driving and most importantly if you made it a ritual to idle down the turbo by allowing the engine to idle for 1-2 minutes following any extended driving time? These habits will not prevent turbo failures but it does extend the lives of those hot little devils.

Irish
Old 03-05-2018, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Starting this topic, I had no idea what I am stepping into
To start EPC shows about 8 turbo numbers for my VIN. None of them matches the number I have.
Than even I read MB part number and Garret model number, I found a site showing like 40 parts number that should fit.
I can get rebuild turbo in US for about $1000, or in Poland for about $200 + shipping.
I found rebuild kits on ebay and on amazon. None of the sellers would confirm fitment to my VIN.
So at this point I order big kit on amazon, hoping it will fit. Kit is $50 and with amazon I can return it with no hassle.
I own the car for last 20,000 miles, so changed oil twice with Mobil1.
The car was dealer-only serviced in the past, but I have no solid records.

Last edited by kajtek1; 03-05-2018 at 05:56 PM.