Diesel Additives

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 235 hp 420 ft tq
Originally Posted by Whargoul
Far more than its worth.

The only way to ensure that is to not drive your car 1000 miles from home.

Thats not its intended use, also, the fuel pump flows all the fuel out of the filter and back to the tank before its even been running 5 seconds.

Unless you're sucking fuel out of a tank thats been sitting in a farmer's field for 20 years, modern fuel is cleaner than ever.

You and millions of fleet vehicles around the world proves recreational fuel additives are not needed or useful.

AND ???? Our fleet does use additives. for the fuel.
It has become apparent who you are and what your goals are please let people exchanges ideas and what we have as personal obervation.
Thank You

Last edited by 2slowcdi; 03-09-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1985 300DT
Originally Posted by 2slowcdi
AND ???? Our fleet does use additives. for the fuel.
Your fleet is an extremely small minority. You could shave thousands from your budget by simply getting rid of useless additives.

please let people exchanges ideas
That is exactly what is occurring in this thread.
YOU WILL NOT CENSOR MY FACTS. If you're scared that you're wrong, feel free to stop reading this thread. Everyone else with an open mind that want to learn and save money will be spared your ignorance.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:01 AM

I have yet to see any facts . and at this point I don't care to.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:43 PM

2010 GL 350 Bluetec
Looks like "240D 3.0 T" has been reinvented as "Whargoul" as mentioned above. No matter what name is used, the diatribes are all the same. Welcome back, that is until the moderator bans you again.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I agree with 240 D . There is no need for additives here in Australia.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:50 AM

2012 S350 Bluetec
I have yet to see any facts . and at this point I don't care to.
If you are still interested read what MB has to say on the subject.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_119_0.pdf

I usually defer in these matters to the manufacturer of the equipment I am servicing. As experienced as I am I admit that they may know more about it than I do.

Bottom line is I have been driving Diesel vehicles for 31 years and have never used additives. Am buying a new S350 with all the money I saved.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:40 PM

What I would like is a diesel fuel that has a Cetane that MB wants us to use I believe that to be 45 Cetane and here in the U.S. we get 40 Cetane.
Now would that void our warranty?

My last diesel needed 49 cetane and the 200,000 miles I put on it I used Cetane boost every tank and never had ANY problems with the fuel system or any other motor issues.

Did I spend money on the boost additive yes I did ,did it help the preformance injectors?
At 175,000 miles on them I had no ware on them when pop checked.

Will any auto maker ever say why yes you can use additives?
We all know what would happen if they did.

I will use a Cetane Boost in every tank of fuel I use , yes it will cost me money , yes I can pay for it , its just not that much money to worry about.
Will it hurt my car? It would have by now if it was going to.
See you at 250,000 miles if you make it.

Last edited by 2slowcdi; 03-19-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C63S
What I would like is a diesel fuel that has a Cetane that MB wants us to use I believe that to be 45 Cetane and here in the U.S. we get 40 Cetane.

My last diesel needed 49 cetane and the 200,000 miles I put on it I used Cetane boost every tank and never had ANY problems with the fuel system or any other motor issues.

Did I spend money on the boost additive yes I did ,did it help the preformance injectors?

I will use a Cetane Boost in every tank of fuel I use , yes it will cost me money , yes I can pay for it , its just not that much money to worry about.
It is not 40 all throughout the US, yes that is what most guarantee in a lot of spots though. I see you are from Dallas via your signature and if that is true then you definitely are not buying 40 at the pump. Matter of fact you have been buying 48 for awhile now unless I misunderstand TXLed.

Prior to even TXLed though I know if you purchased Chevron diesel that Chevron tried for a typical rating of 48 but as with most all the companies they would not guarantee that number. Now if you lived in California then due to CARB requirements you will get upwards of 52 from Chevron. Not sure if it would be safe to assume that all the other States that follow CARB would also be in that cetane rating or not. Some random quotes from Chevron:

Typical Chevron production excluding California and Hawaii is 48 cetane. Chevron guarantees product limits only; typicals are average properties, and higher and lower values are to be expected.
Typical California Chevron production is 52 because of additional requirements of the California Air Resources Board (CARB) for vehicular diesel fuel.

Typical Hawaii Chevron refinery production is 61.
U.S. average cetane is 45. There is no way to tell what the "at the retail pump" cetane value would be and is not required to be posted by law, as is the case for gasoline octane minimum rating.

ULSD will not change these typical averages much. Not lower. Maybe a little higher. (1-2).
TXLed link:

http://www.tceq.texas.gov/airquality...eandiesel.html

Which if you search for cetane you will find:

The rule covers 110 counties in the eastern half of Texas, including the ozone nonattainment areas of Beaumont-Port Arthur, Dallas-Fort Worth, and Houston-Galveston-Brazoria. The rule requires that diesel fuel as defined under 30 TAC §114.6 produced for delivery and ultimate sale to the consumer –for both on and nonroad use – must contain less than 10 percent by volume of aromatic hydrocarbons and must have a cetane number of 48 or greater. Some compliance options are allowed.
Something else interesting to note prior to TXLed coming online all the Shell stations in Houston said they sold Premium Diesel. They changed signs around when TXLed came online, not sure if just a coincidence or not. They would not guarantee over 40 though even though it was branded that. From Shell:

Premium diesel is an additive package that includes detergent, corrosion inhibitor, lubricity improver, and some cetane improver. We do not make specific claims as to cetane number above the base 40 min cetane
What is supposed to define Premium Diesel:

To qualify as a Premium Diesel the following four properties of the fuel had to be met (ASTM is the American Society for Testing and Materials):

a) The cetane number must be 47 or greater (using ASTM D 613 test method)

b) The thermal stability must be sufficient to meet a minimum reflectance limit of 80% (as determined by test ASTM D 6468)

c) The fuel must show suitable low-temperature operability by passing either the Cloud Point Test (ASTM D 2500) or Low Temperature Flow Test (ASTM D 4539) at the tenth percentile minimum ambient air temperature for the region and time of year where the fuel will be sold. Ambient temperatures for areas are noted in ASTM D 975

d) The lubricity must be sufficient to produce a scar no larger than 520 microns in diameter as determined by ASTM D 6079 (HFRR)

If the diesel meets theses requirement it will be posted on the pump that it is a Premium Diesel.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:12 PM

2015 C63S
I missed that part when replying just a minute ago. Ford used to recommend a cetane booster/additive for the Powerstrokes. They might still do although I have not seen any of the pushes for it in at least a few years. I recall some other auto makers recommending various additives such as Porsche used to recommend back in the 80s(?) to put a bottle of Techron in once a year. I remember the Porsche recommendation in the actual owners manual of the car. The Ford thing to be honest I just saw at all the dealers and it was in Motorcraft branded bottles so assumed it was truly a Ford thing but I could be wrong and it could just been dealers conspiring to make a buck off people.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 PM

2015 C63S
Oh, another thing to consider is B5 is starting to roll out in a lot of pumps in preparation for Federal fuel mandates for biofuels that become required in upcoming years. Chevron is definitely doing this in the Houston area at least since I routinely see the stickers on the pumps. Some of the stickers are a little hard to notice due to them being clear with a colored text that blends well with the background they were put on. The stickers are not all the same, same message but different font and color usage. I am sure the B5 adds some more to people who want to debate fuel qualities or even the very usage of any biodiesel at all. As I understand it Chevron is starting things early to try and gear up to the requirement once it comes into effect.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:50 PM

2012 S350 Bluetec

I am not going to start a pissing contest but we should be clear here. Mercedes does not say that additives will necessarily hurt your engine just that they are a waste of money. My personal diesel experience includes 81 Datsun diesel truck-240000 miles 95 Dodge truck with Cummins 235000 miles 06 E320 CDI 72000 miles 04 Dodge with Cummins 78000 miles. My wife has had 81 Datsun Maxima diesel 90000 miles 01 Dodge Ram with Cummins 79000 miles and a 04 Dodge with Cummins 60000 miles. I may not have made it to 250000 miles but I have some experience with Diesel powered vehicles .

The only money I have spent on injection systems on all these engines is to have the injectors checked on the 95 Cummins at about 190000 miles . They were fine. Not using additives clearly has saved me a pile of money over the years. Will post a picture of my S350 when we pick it up in Sindelfingen.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
[QUOTE=FWhite; Will post a picture of my S350 when we pick it up in Sindelfingen.[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to it I have not used additives at any time but the savings have not added up to an S

Well done .

JC
Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Banned

1985 300DT
I have yet to see any facts.
Ignorance is not a good excuse, try to think up a better one.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:32 PM

I will use diesel fuel additives until someone show where there is a problem that was due to the fuel additives.
Price is $22.50 per 10,000 miles.
People that don't use fuel additives don't know if it will help just know that they are ok with out it.
Whargoul you have not shown any facts so I have no idea why you try so hard to make people want to listen to you , I hope you have a good day.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:34 PM

2015 C63S
I will use diesel fuel additives until someone show where there is a problem that was due to the fuel additives.
People that don't use fuel additives don't know if it will help just know that they are ok with out it.
Whargoul you have not shown any facts so I have no idea why you try so hard to make people want to listen to you , I hope you have a good day.
And what about all of the facts I showed you about cetane? TXLed is far more than just added cetane too.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Snipe656
And what about all of the facts I showed you about cetane? TXLed is far more than just added cetane too.
Yes "you" did and I Thank You for that.
I do how leave the state from time to time and I had though that I would see more smoke.

I have just been a gear head to long to not know that company's will put just enough product in to
keep things going for a set number of miles.
The EPA has rules set for additives and they have to meet them or not sell in the U.S.
Power Service has been around for 55 years and they must have done some things right or they would have been long.

My CDI has had the ECM remapped and I don't to leave anything to chance.

Last edited by 2slowcdi; 04-04-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:50 PM

2015 C63S
Well do whatever males you feel confident in. The primary thing I have had worries about is cetane which led me to doing a massive amount of research on fuels and additives. A good bit of that research was face to face conversations with engineers who design/test various aspects of those. When it was all said and done I did know of an additive to run that helps things but learned the fuel was close enough to the cars needs that it was a waste of time for me. That was all for my 335d which specifies should be ran on premium diesel and a decently high cetane rating for the US. If I traveled in that car then I probably would run an additive from time to time.

Speaking of smoke, as the B5 has rolled out to all stations I go to, my truck pretty much never smokes, just sometimes a haze.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Could you tell us what you are using if you are only spending $22.50 per 10k miles? I use Diesel Kleen every other tank full and it costs way more than the stuff you are using.
Thank you,
Mike T.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
I have been using Power Service DFS +Cetane in the CDI for the better part of 105K miles. So far so good, and starts and runs really well in freezing temps.
As a comparison, my last diesel, a 2004 Dodge Ram, had 80000 miles when I sold it, and I never used any additives.
I did however have to plug in the Ram during winter nights, and that is not an issue with the ML.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:22 PM

2015 C63S
Would a 2004 Ram have the newer style quick heat up glowplugs? My 2003 PSD does not but my 2009 335d does. I have talked to guys with the 335d cars up in Canada who claim never to still see a glowplug light. My truck is horrible about cold starts, it is like a jug of marbles in below freezing temps. My 300SD is not even that bad and by a long shot.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
The ceramic glow plugs may be the difference. The Ram didn't have them back then. Forgot about that.
The only other thing I can add is that the CDI "seems" to run smoother when I use the additive per fill up, as opposed to when I forget to do so. Probably just mind over matter?
I just figure that 8 oz per 26 gallons won't break me or the Benz.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:34 AM

2008 E320
any opinions on the Amsoil diesel additives? I've been a loyal user in my 95 E300D (finally retired it at 344k miles), and been planning to use it in my "new" 08 E320. My 95 always seemed to run smoother and quieter and less smoke with it...
Old 04-08-2012, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Could you tell us what you are using if you are only spending $22.50 per 10k miles? I use Diesel Kleen every other tank full and it costs way more than the stuff you are using.
Thank you,
Mike T.

Cost of Power Service Diesel Kleen that treats 250 gallons one 80 oz's jug , runs from $17 to $20 U.S.D. At one time Power Service had a jug that would treat 300 gallons for the same price.
It takes me a little over 312 gallons for 10,000 miles for me.

You should be in the same range with your 06 unless you have more city driving.

Sounds like Power Service Diesel Kleen treats more fuel per $ than "Diesel Kleen".
Unless you are talking about Power Service Diesel Kleen the gray bottle then you are putting in way to much.

Last edited by 2slowcdi; 04-08-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 2006 smart fortwo cabrio, 1983 240D, 1982 300SD, 1980 300SD
I have used it for years and keep using regardless of which diesel technology-it works. I have witnessed what it does to VW tdi injectors between four family cars all running under similar conditions/fuel (one car never had conditioner added), it was readily visible the deposits on the injectors and the engine noise. If you turn your car in every 100k miles, why bother right? It is a product for those of us who care about our engines and keep our vehicles as long as they were designed to last-decades not years. I average 250k miles every decade, and have every diesel still in the family since 1986...some over a million now.
Will it harm bluetecs? I highly doubt it.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Banned

1985 300DT
Where are you stealing your additives from¿

That is the entire point.

Would a 2004 Ram have the newer style quick heat up glowplugs?
Cummins engines don't have glowplugs!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Diesel Additives