W212 E350 BLUETEC throw code P229F right after refill Blue DEF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212 E350 BLUETEC
W212 E350 BLUETEC throw code P229F right after refill Blue DEF

Hello,

I've been driven this diesel powered w212 worry-free for 1.5 year. It was not until recently, the 'adblue refill reminder' appeared on dashboard, I did some research and purchased 2 jugs of 2.5 gallon Peak BlueDEF (manufactured in March, 2016) and put into my car. After ~100 miles driving, the check engine light pops out today when I drive from home on highway. Had the car checked at a local Autozone, and the code I have is P229F NOx Sensor Circuit Range/Performance (B1S2).

I'm curious that was this code caused by the inferior DEF since it was not the dealer recommended Adblue, even though I saw a lot of people are using this product for their diesel Mercedes, Bmw, etc.

It seems the code is pointing to the NOx sensor, it should be fixed by just replacing the sensor, but I need to make sure the DEF I have in tank won't cause the sensor issue another time.

Please advice and comment,
Thanks in advance!
Vincent
Old 04-27-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 e350 bluetec
I've been using Peak DEF for four years with no problems. It carries the correct ISO approval according to MB specs. It's probably either something else gone wrong or maybe related to the low warning light having gone on. Perhaps it will turn off after a certain number of engine restarts. Some OBDii errors reset when a problem has been corrected and it no longer senses the issue.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 e350 bluetec
Here's another thing to think about. If you can't find a listing for a P229F OBDII code try substituting '15' for the 'F'. The hexadecimal code 'F' equates to a decimal '15'. Maybe that will help track down a more specific fault.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by emoticn
Hello,

I've been driven this diesel powered w212 worry-free for 1.5 year. It was not until recently, the 'adblue refill reminder' appeared on dashboard, I did some research and purchased 2 jugs of 2.5 gallon Peak BlueDEF (manufactured in March, 2016) and put into my car. After ~100 miles driving, the check engine light pops out today when I drive from home on highway. Had the car checked at a local Autozone, and the code I have is P229F NOx Sensor Circuit Range/Performance (B1S2).

I'm curious that was this code caused by the inferior DEF since it was not the dealer recommended Adblue, even though I saw a lot of people are using this product for their diesel Mercedes, Bmw, etc.

It seems the code is pointing to the NOx sensor, it should be fixed by just replacing the sensor, but I need to make sure the DEF I have in tank won't cause the sensor issue another time.

Please advice and comment,
Thanks in advance!
Vincent
You have run into the typical OBD fault code list failure---that P code is not listed in the DAS Xentry library of fault codes for your model---therefore an easy cross reference is not possible to quickly and correctly identify the fault.

At best go back to the scanner mfg and ask them to interpret the fault for you!!