E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

Corn Oil!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W123 300TD 305k, W114 220D 600+k
Bio-diesel comes in many grades. B10-100 100 being 100% Bioproduct. B80 is 80% biomass and 20% diesel. Used in many other countries as well. The most preferred method of powering a diesel engine without any conversion at all. The 20% diesel fuel gives the lubrication properties the engine and injectors need, and allow for normal starting. The 80% biomass fuel is made from WVO (usually, or palm seed oil) these oils are heated and treated with metholhydroxide to a certian piont which changes the pH level in the biomass in order to separate the engine damaging glycerides and water. Yes WVO and SVO has water in it, and that is BAD for a diesel engine.

I remember seeing an article from Africa regarding certian areas of South Africa had higher instance of sudden or massive piston failure. After a deep analysis of the fuels in the pumping stations they found many stations had been putting "treated" (untreated in this case)bio fuels into the tanks. and some cases used engine oils. The issues that arrose in NEW diesel engines were, piston faulure, ring faulure, injector scaving, and cylinder damage. All due to the lack of proper lubrication in the fuel. It would have been better for the truckers to run 100% kerosene in the engines than untreated WVO's.

Now , I know this because I Fubared my 220D's injection pump and gas tank and practiclly everything else related to the fuel system, oh and not to mention aided in the 10% compression decrease in the motor in the course of a year. Because I put filtered WVO, and SVO in my tank!

Since this was not in the USA at the time there was no problem with EPA it at all. However you are right, the EPA needs to approve the amount of sulfides and HCFC's and CFC's etc that everyone puts into the air each year. Giving so it has recently been discovered that burning vegtiable oils are worse to the environment than a clean burning COAL power plant! Plus I would rather eat my food than burn it.

Please feel free to correct anything I have decribed herein.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Originally Posted by kevsw123
The issues that arrose in NEW diesel engines were, piston faulure, ring faulure, ... and cylinder damage. All due to the lack of proper lubrication in the fuel.
Fuel lubricity has no impact on the engine itself, only the injection system. It can indirectly affect the engine through pump/injector damage that causes an irregular spray pattern.

Giving so it has recently been discovered that burning vegtiable oils are worse to the environment than a clean burning COAL power plant!
Thats why its important to properly recycle waste oils. Oil collection companies are set up to do this, an individual with a filter and heat exchanger thrown on a car is not.

Its says "DIESEL" or "TURBO DIESEL" on the trunk, not "TRASH DISPOSAL".
Old 04-01-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CL500 1992 300SE
Originally Posted by kevsw123
Bio-diesel comes in many grades. B10-100 100 being 100% Bioproduct. B80 is 80% biomass and 20% diesel. Used in many other countries as well. The most preferred method of powering a diesel engine without any conversion at all. The 20% diesel fuel gives the lubrication properties the engine and injectors need, and allow for normal starting. The 80% biomass fuel is made from WVO (usually, or palm seed oil) these oils are heated and treated with metholhydroxide to a certian piont which changes the pH level in the biomass in order to separate the engine damaging glycerides and water. Yes WVO and SVO has water in it, and that is BAD for a diesel engine.

I remember seeing an article from Africa regarding certian areas of South Africa had higher instance of sudden or massive piston failure. After a deep analysis of the fuels in the pumping stations they found many stations had been putting "treated" (untreated in this case)bio fuels into the tanks. and some cases used engine oils. The issues that arrose in NEW diesel engines were, piston faulure, ring faulure, injector scaving, and cylinder damage. All due to the lack of proper lubrication in the fuel. It would have been better for the truckers to run 100% kerosene in the engines than untreated WVO's.

Now , I know this because I Fubared my 220D's injection pump and gas tank and practiclly everything else related to the fuel system, oh and not to mention aided in the 10% compression decrease in the motor in the course of a year. Because I put filtered WVO, and SVO in my tank!

Since this was not in the USA at the time there was no problem with EPA it at all. However you are right, the EPA needs to approve the amount of sulfides and HCFC's and CFC's etc that everyone puts into the air each year. Giving so it has recently been discovered that burning vegtiable oils are worse to the environment than a clean burning COAL power plant! Plus I would rather eat my food than burn it.

Please feel free to correct anything I have decribed herein.
I read a report commisioned by the fuel industry on the effects of WVO or SVO on diesel engines. In a span of 40yrs. it was determined that Canola oil was the best oil to use.

In short term (< 850 hrs.) and long term (> 850 hrs.) use, canola oil when blended with diesel fuel in a 70:30 ratio of oil to diesel was found to have all the properties of diesel fuel alone.
I have been running both my diesels with the blend and all is well.

The '83 has required 3 fuel filter changes over 3 months, but has been a great performer and yes it is true the car seems to run better also.

The '95 has just had a 1 filter change after 6 mths. and has run thru the winter with the blended fuel.

I love this stuff!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Blending, and straight vegetable oil in general, is very harmful to the engine. If you want to use a bio fuel, BioDiesel was made specifically for that purpose.

If you can't post links to that "report" then its most likely a lie.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:21 PM

w123
If diesel is $5 a gallon and I burn some waste veggie oil I am a criminal. But the man can stick it to me anytime he wants. I live in Illinois, where most of our taxes are wasted on bribes and kickbacks. You can better believe I feel nothing in the way of guilt by burning free fuel and not paying tax.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:34 PM

1999 E300TD, 1959 190SL
my car has run on wvo for 50k miles without any problems or engine failure and still runs strong on wvo