E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

W124 Coupe Wide Body

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W124 Coupe Wide Body

I have a W124 300 CE, and i wonder if someone knows where I can buy Wide Body kits for this model.

Someting like this

W124 Coupe Wide Body-f48koenig_85b83.jpg

W124 Coupe Wide Body-gallery_257.jpg

W124 Coupe Wide Body-gallery_258.jpg

W124 Coupe Wide Body-gallery_259.jpg
The following users liked this post:
HAMMER HEAD (06-16-2019)
Old 09-03-2008, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Youngtimer
http://www.socalcarbon.com/SoCalCarb...pper&Itemid=30
Old 09-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Banned

Yes, I know about this company, but I did not like the pics I saw, of that W124 cabrio that they worked on. It looked like they had taken some front fenders, and put in the rear.
But then again, the car was not finished, so it might look better when they are all done.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
It's all custom, a big job and unless your coupe is a PRIME example of one, I wouldn't waste your money....

If you do an engine swap too though.....
Old 09-03-2008, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
Most of these JDM wide bodys use stock fenders that have been flared using a fender flaring tool. Some have used 500e front fenders/bumpers and cut out the rear quarters and welded those in. Aside from these options, the only mold on wide body kit I have ever seen was made by Koenig and to be frank, they were quite ugly.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
yep, there aren't any "kits" for this.

Check out this thread that shows one guy's progress on this very thing. They are doing it right.

IMO, the pics you posted above are pretty ugly. I say this because the rear fenders are not well-molded. From the rear edge of the door to the wheel arch, there is no curve. So it really doesn't flow well from the door to the wheel arch.

I think this is the way to do it:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124...onversion.html
Old 09-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bigpete123
yep, there aren't any "kits" for this.

Check out this thread that shows one guy's progress on this very thing. They are doing it right.

IMO, the pics you posted above are pretty ugly. I say this because the rear fenders are not well-molded. From the rear edge of the door to the wheel arch, there is no curve. So it really doesn't flow well from the door to the wheel arch.

I think this is the way to do it:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124...onversion.html
I do not agree with you

For your information!
The first pic I posted is of a Genuine AMG Wide Body. One of VERY few made. As for the other, I'm not sure, but it looks much alike the real thing. This is how they are supposed to look, if you are going for the AMG style! Of course this is not for everybody, but I like the AMG style.
Because AMG is the factory tuning company for Mercedes, I would like to go with their style.

The project you linked to was cool, but not what I was looking for.

There is always plenty of home made stuff to choose from. If you are going that route, why stop with a couple of self made rear fenders! Take a look at this one for example...

http://benzinsider.com/2007/02/how-to-b ... laren-slr/

But then again, not what I was looking for.

And one other thing. There ARE some "kits" out there!!!

I know about this for example.
http://www.vittautowheel.com/w124widever.html

Problem is that I can't get in touch with the company. I have sent them several mails, but get no reply back.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
If that's what you like that's what you like. Those pics make me want to vomit though. I guess it's your money.

As far as a "kit" goes, what I assumed you meant is some kind of body kit equivalent, like something that bolts right on.

To get the rear quarters to look like that, you will have to weld something in. No way around it. The rear quarter panels tie into the pillars, which run over the doors and up to the hood.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 e320...sold the rest
Just like BigPete said, any flaring you want to do to an excessive point like that will have to be tic welded on, smoothed out, bondo...etc.

So look forward to A LOT of custom work
Old 09-05-2008, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
I tried cutting the front fenders and putting them on the rear but it didn't look right. To get that look on a 4 door you basically need to cut the inner fender and flare out the quarter panel. I'm gonna do a lot of molding and cutting but i need all my time on finishing and selling one of my mustangs so i'll be back on
the forums once that's done.

Last edited by YNVDIZW124; 09-05-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
YNVDIZW124,
Any chance that you would make a mold of the finished flare? It is tough to find that perfect look, simply cutting and pasting the front fender to the rear won't give the right look, however, I'm sure quite a few people here would be interested in fiberglass rear fender flares...I sure would, imagine the wheel widths......mmmmmmmmm Good luck on the stang, post some pics here of the finished product
Old 09-05-2008, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
The problem is that fiberglass won't look the same as all metal. you still need the front fenders for to get the basic shape. The front right will need to go on the rear left and the front left needs to go on the rear right. Also if you really want to go wide you will need to cut the door skin and flare it out with the rest of the quarter panel. This is a lot of work! I use my benz as my daily driver but im going to drive a 66 mustang for a while so im going to start working on my benz.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Banned

I don't want to be rude or something, but could we please try to stay on the subject originally posted. That would make this thread sooo much better!

"W124 Coupe Wide Body"
"I have a W124 300 CE, and I wonder if someone knows where I can buy Wide Body kits for this model. "

I wanted this thread to be a place where you could find pictures of different kits for the W124 Coupe, and information about where to buy them. So again, could we please try to stay on the subject?
Old 09-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Banned

Finely I got reply back from this company!

The detail of W124 CE Wide Version Body kit is as follow:

1.Front Bumper
2.Front Over Fenders
3.Front Side panels
4.Rear Bumper
5.Rear Side Panels
6.Rear Wide fenders
7.Side Skirts
8.Rear Wing
9.Fog Lamps

The price of the complete set is USD $4,000. + shipping

NOTE: 1. ALL PARTS ARE MADE IN JAPAN
2. FIBERGLASS WORK IS NECCESSARY FOR THE INSTALLATION OF WIDE BODY KIT
Old 09-08-2008, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
So basically a crappy fibreglass kit uninstalled for 5k.....install will be another 5k lol...you might as well have a custom metalwork done to the existing fenders...
Old 09-08-2008, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
I wanted this thread to be a place where you could find pictures of different kits for the W124 Coupe, and information about where to buy them. So again, could we please try to stay on the subject?
Sounds like you need google more than this forum.

But..
1. Japan makes a lot of cheap thin fiberglass crap too..
2. It's going to cost a lot to properly block sand and align all the panels.
3. there's a lot of smug in this thead so ending it would make it soo much better...
Old 09-08-2008, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
hello
Old 09-08-2008, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
In japan, AMG hand fabricated these wide body kits. Some are more agressive than others, the less agressive wide body kits are more or less just flared fenders.

I have been told that AMG offered four piece wide body metal kits, although I can't verify this and none of my early 80's part catalogs verify this information, the source is reliable.

If AMG did actually offer them, they probably did not offer this as a parts only kit, which might explain why it never shows up in any parts catalogs. The rear fenders would require extensive cutting/welding as well.

From what I am told, these were available for the W201, W124 and W126.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by 2PHAST
In japan, AMG hand fabricated these wide body kits. Some are more agressive than others, the less agressive wide body kits are more or less just flared fenders.

I have been told that AMG offered four piece wide body metal kits, although I can't verify this and none of my early 80's part catalogs verify this information, the source is reliable.

If AMG did actually offer them, they probably did not offer this as a parts only kit, which might explain why it never shows up in any parts catalogs. The rear fenders would require extensive cutting/welding as well.

From what I am told, these were available for the W201, W124 and W126.
For the C124, it wasn't a true "kit", but actually sheet metal parts that had to be welded and formed to the stock panels.
Extremely rare car, 1988-1989, M103-12V badged 320CE.
Only non metallic part was the ducktail.
I know of two RHD cars ( one UK owner posts on some forums ) and possibly two LHD cars...not counting Japan as they did some things that no one really can track !!

The W201 had a more extreme look and appeared if I recall on some EVO's.
I think the W126 "kit" was made from fiberglass.

In all cases the "kits" were far from "bolt-on" !!!

Last edited by RBYCC; 09-08-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by G_Wagon
Finely I got reply back from this company!

The detail of W124 CE Wide Version Body kit is as follow:

1.Front Bumper
2.Front Over Fenders
3.Front Side panels
4.Rear Bumper
5.Rear Side Panels
6.Rear Wide fenders
7.Side Skirts
8.Rear Wing
9.Fog Lamps

The price of the complete set is USD $4,000. + shipping

NOTE: 1. ALL PARTS ARE MADE IN JAPAN
2. FIBERGLASS WORK IS NECCESSARY FOR THE INSTALLATION OF WIDE BODY KIT
Save your money, really bad look, nothing like AMG style.
Would reduce the value to about nothing of your car.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by RBYCC
Save your money, really bad look, nothing like AMG style.
Would reduce the value to about nothing of your car.
Yep, pretty stupid idea unless your willing to source genuine wide body AMG parts, which is next to impossible. Get AMG front/rear bumper, side skirts, and call it a day.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
For the C124, it wasn't a true "kit", but actually sheet metal parts that had to be welded and formed to the stock panels.
Extremely rare car, 1988-1989, M103-12V badged 320CE.
Only non metallic part was the ducktail.
I know of two RHD cars ( one UK owner posts on some forums ) and possibly two LHD cars...not counting Japan as they did some things that no one really can track !!

The W201 had a more extreme look and appeared if I recall on some EVO's.
I think the W126 "kit" was made from fiberglass.

In all cases the "kits" were far from "bolt-on" !!!
I agree that these wouldn't be considered "bolt-on" but I guess there is a fine line on that defination.

If you have any pictures or documentation, it would be nice if you could share. I have a extensive collection of early AMG lit and none show these body kits. Most mention of these kits in articles just state that they were "custom fabricated and one-off designs" which wouldn't seem to be accurate if AMG actually had the full kits available.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 2PHAST
I agree that these wouldn't be considered "bolt-on" but I guess there is a fine line on that defination.

If you have any pictures or documentation, it would be nice if you could share. I have a extensive collection of early AMG lit and none show these body kits. Most mention of these kits in articles just state that they were "custom fabricated and one-off designs" which wouldn't seem to be accurate if AMG actually had the full kits available.
I used the word "kit" to keep it in the realm of the OP's request.
No true widebody "kits" were for sale independent of being installed by whatever AMG shop.

If I recall the widebody wheel arch fairings were a proprietary design and were utilized only on finished cars.

The only true "kit" parts available with part numbers to the aftermarket were as you know the front, rear air dams, side skirts and spoilers.

Each AMG shop was more or less an independent custom shop.
Cars were built to the owners spec and no two cars are really identical.

Not good if you are trying to recreate a look, but great if you want to own in essence a one off AMG tuned vehicle.

The new "factory" AMG's are engineering marvels, especially the "black" series...but I still like the early pre "factory" AMG products....you won't see yourself coming and going !!!

I don't know if you have the following which are pix of one of the RHD 320CE widebodies along with it's road test in a UK mag.
Not sure but for some reason I think one of the occasional UK posters ( Martin Traynor ? ) may own a black RHD widebody. Not sure if it is him, but he has owned so many "special" W124's !!!
Interesting that they kept the bumper strips and grille stock, not monochromatic...

Do you get "Mercedes Enthusiast Magazine" from the UK???
Highly recommend as it is the best Merc publication around !!!

Name:  300CEAMG2-1.jpg
Views: 10476
Size:  11.6 KB

W124 Coupe Wide Body-amg-1.jpg

W124 Coupe Wide Body-amg-2.jpg

W124 Coupe Wide Body-amg-3.jpg
The following users liked this post:
HAMMER HEAD (06-16-2019)
Old 09-09-2008, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
That grille looks white, ie monochromatic, not factory....

Nice car, great post RBYCC!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
I used the word "kit" to keep it in the realm of the OP's request.
No true widebody "kits" were for sale independent of being installed by whatever AMG shop.

If I recall the widebody wheel arch fairings were a proprietary design and were utilized only on finished cars.

The only true "kit" parts available with part numbers to the aftermarket were as you know the front, rear air dams, side skirts and spoilers.

Each AMG shop was more or less an independent custom shop.
Cars were built to the owners spec and no two cars are really identical.

Not good if you are trying to recreate a look, but great if you want to own in essence a one off AMG tuned vehicle.

The new "factory" AMG's are engineering marvels, especially the "black" series...but I still like the early pre "factory" AMG products....you won't see yourself coming and going !!!

I don't know if you have the following which are pix of one of the RHD 320CE widebodies along with it's road test in a UK mag.
Not sure but for some reason I think one of the occasional UK posters ( Martin Traynor ? ) may own a black RHD widebody. Not sure if it is him, but he has owned so many "special" W124's !!!
Interesting that they kept the bumper strips and grille stock, not monochromatic...

Do you get "Mercedes Enthusiast Magazine" from the UK???
Highly recommend as it is the best Merc publication around !!!

On the 500e forum, one of the members has stated that the 300ce wide body kit, which consisted of four metal parts and has AMG part numbers on it was available. From what he has said, he has seen this kit, but its not in his possession, I have asked for pictures. I suspect though that these were not available for outright purchase, given that they don't show up in any of the early AMG parts catalogs, but some seem to be out there in unused condition.

Your statement about these being "custom" jobs, falls in line with what I have read in almost every magazine with reviews of W124 wide body cars. But its nice to fill in the gaps of what was done "behind the scenes".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W124 Coupe Wide Body