E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Thinking of buying an E280 1993 model, but need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda Civic
Thinking of buying an E280 1993 model, but need advice

Hi,

First things first.. I live in Norway. Cars here are super expensive and so is fuel. It is horrible. But over to what I would appreciate help with:

My daily driver is a 1991 Honda Civic 1,3. It has driven 160.000 miles. Ive spent $20 on oil and oilfilter for it in the two years Ive owned it. I love the little *******. But its nearing its demise. And I need a replacement.

So I went to a local dealer and saw a regular 1994 E200. I liked what I saw.
I felt safe when driving it and it was ok performance wise. But I didnt like the shape it was in, cosmetically.

I searched the Internet for alternatives. I found a 1993 E280 with 180.000 miles on it. Current owner has done oil changes at MB every 6000 miles. Every major service has been done by shipping the entire car from Norway to Germany.

The alternator was replaced a couple of thousand miles ago.
New exhaust installed at 166.000 miles.
It had a major service at 179.000 miles.

It has had a cruicecontrol installed after it was bought, installed at a MB workshop.

I dont know what its called in English, but both front right and left body wheel-arch metal plates (Jesus this must be horribly explained) was replaced at 178.000 miles. He said he didnt like the small rust spots that had appeared... Go figure.

I have no info if this horror wiring harness thing has been replaced or not. A big problem on these cars I have read. How can I check for that?

Is it even worth considering this car? Will I run into maintenance hell?

You can see the pictures of it here:

http://www.finn.no/finn/car/object?f...2&WT.svl=Bilde

Thanks for any input
Old 11-26-2008, 07:22 PM

1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E
Looks like a good car from the pics, leather, heated seats, looks fully optioned. Don't know why it didn't have cruise from the factory. You can check the harness by inspecting the insulation, the easiest I think is the temperature sensors on the water pump. If the wire is green looking and the insulation is dry and cracking its no good.

Thats got the 2.8L m104 in it. I had a 1993 300E 2.8L US model, it was a awesome car, on long trips I would average 30 mpg at 80-85 mph.

Sounds like the guy kept up with everything, go through all the records and make sure. You can get MB to run a VMI (Vehicle master inquiry) which is an internal history report and it can tell you what was done at the dealer under warranty. They might not give it to you to keep but should let you look at it while at the dealer, some of them are real sticklers about it.

-Mike
Old 11-27-2008, 08:05 AM

w124 e280 1994
That's like my car. You can check the insulation for damage, if you see naked wires especially towards the connectors, you know that harness will need replacing. When you hold the wire in some section, you can feel the insulation of the inner wires come apart.

If you can read the codes before the purchase that would be helpfull. At 180.000 its about to need a new MAF sensor if it hasn't been changed and the OVP relay

Otherwise it a great car with adequate power and reasonable fuel consumption.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'16 E350 ‘07 S550 ‘21 GLE580
Is that large aftermarket switch on the center console for the cruise control? The paint and interior look nice. I like the wood, most of the 124's in the US got zebrano, I like the burl much better. My mother had a 93' 300E 2.8 when I was in high school, it is the car that started my love affair with Mercedes-Benz. Awesome car.

Last edited by vanwiek; 11-29-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Youngtimer
when i was looking for my car, i was told to try and find one that looked like it had been maintained (appearance-wise), and also mechanically. someone who took care in the appearance of a car like this especially when new probably was the same when it came to maintenance, if the guy was shipping it to germany to get it serviced i'm sure he took great care of it, so you should be good...
i will tell you though, as someone who also had a 91 civic, this car will cost you a LOT more to own... i used to get 36-40 mpg out of the civic, repairs and parts were amazingly affordable (13" tires are cheap!), etc. if you drive a lot, regular things like brakes, oil changes, etc. will probably be double the cost. mind you, you're in europe, so maybe it's not like here for european cars. just something to keep in mind. of course, the fact that you get to drive a w124 makes up for all that...