E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

PART SEARCH W124 CONVERTIBLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124 E320 convertible 1995
PART SEARCH W124 CONVERTIBLE

Hi to all.
I own a Mercedes W124 E320 convertible and I am revamping the chassis. I discovered a rusted part I want to change. Unfortunately MB does not provide it any longer.

On this drawing the part is n°145.

(Golden part on this picture. This is NOT my car, it comes from one of a friend which is in great shape!)

The part, named BRACKET, has reference number: A1245458140 or A1245455047. It is a metallic bar that is screwed on the rear part of the rear sub frame. On both its ends are fixed plastic clips that are holding electrical wires (probably ASR or ABS). It is about 15 inches long and 2 inches high.

Can someone help me to find this part/piece?
Many thanks in advance.
Have a great day.

Last edited by blackice; 10-17-2014 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Those are two very good part numbers---is this a joke or a make work project!!

see 145 and 150!!!
Old 10-16-2014, 07:13 PM

PLUTOE, thanks for your answer. I am not sure to understand what you mean (I am French).
I contacted MB and they told me that, even if the parts seem to still be for sale in the official site, the parts are not available anymore around... the "world". So I called other official MB dealers in foreign countries (I speak French and a little German) and I got the same answer: "sorry not available any longer".
This is the reason why I am looking for a used one in good shape. I just hope somone knows where to find one.
Part N°150 is also the plastic clips that are still available and that I already purchased.

I hope I posted this subject in the right forum. If not tell me.

So many thanks for any track someone could send me. Regards.

Last edited by blackice; 10-16-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:30 AM

1995 E320 Cabriolet
Is the part unique to the Cabriolet or is the same part found on other varieties of 124 chassis? I am also curious about your vehicle. Can you tell us how many miles are on the car and how the rear suspension was behaving? (I believe other owners might benefit from this insight. Merci.)

Last edited by uvr708; 10-17-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: more precise
Old 10-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Well you are partially correct. I can confirm the following part 124 545 81 40 superseded to 124 545 50 47---it is a good number and is priced at USD 37.50 ex works.

The problem, as you advised is that there is no stock at any USA MB dealer and in Germany-----however the part is still good and not discontinued therefore can be ordered.

Send me sixty one bucks and I will order the part for you. Remember that price will be the ex works Florida USA price---you still must pay all forward shipping, taxes and duties---advise!!
Old 10-17-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by uvr708
Is the part unique to the Cabriolet or is the same part found on other varieties of 124 chassis? I am also curious about your vehicle. Can you tell us how many miles are on the car and how the rear suspension was behaving? (I believe other owners might benefit from this insight. Merci.)
Excellent question uvr708. I only saw it on Cabriolets. However it might be present on others such as coupé I believe...
My car has 124k miles but comes from NY and was sold in Florida by its first owner. I suppose the winter salt in NY + the sea salt in Florida might have done the "job"! But the rest of the rear sub frame is really in good shape with only minor surface rust. The car is actually in the hands of of the coach builder for 2 small holes and he told me that the understructure was in a rather great condition.
The car has been through exhaustive inspection during the administrative importation process (obligatory over here, to get a valid title!!!) and it behaves remarkably well for such an "old" car, including a total absence of natural tendency to pull to the right (or the left) as many W124 do. I really don't know why this piece is in such bad condition. My only explanation is that it my may have been switched with one from another car in bad condition before the sale... who knows???? The rear suspension handles very fine even when we are 4 in the car (thanks also to the ASR too). I just encounter some "klonks" in the front train at low speed on uneven roads. They probably come from dead springs rubber pads. They will soon be changed too.
Merci à vous uvr708!

Last edited by blackice; 10-17-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by uvr708
I checked and there is none!!
Old 10-17-2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Plutoe
Well you are partially correct. I can confirm the following part 124 545 81 40 superseded to 124 545 50 47---it is a good number and is priced at USD 37.50 ex works.

The problem, as you advised is that there is no stock at any USA MB dealer and in Germany-----however the part is still good and not discontinued therefore can be ordered.

Send me sixty one bucks and I will order the part for you. Remember that price will be the ex works Florida USA price---you still must pay all forward shipping, taxes and duties---advise!!
Hi Plutoe. Thanks for the information. Over here (in France) I cannot order it from the MB dealer. He confirmed me, once more today, that his computer does not even want to preorder the piece! For him there is a discontinued logo attached to the part! So "move on"!
I even called the official French "Antic&Classic Mercedes" subsidiary" (MB department specialized in Old and Young timers) and they told me that they cannot do anything. Last year, they were able to pre order my cabriolet specific exhaust pipe line (incl catalyze) and ask for a re-manufacture of it (I waited 3 months). But for this (simple) part it is out of question!

Anyhow Plutoe, if you are certain to be able to get the part we can surely find a way to do it (Paypal or bank transfer...), as I have no real other choices to get it.
Just let me know in MP. No problem.

Plutoe, many many thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by blackice; 10-17-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by blackice
Hi Plutoe. Thanks for the information. Over here (in France) I cannot order it from the MB dealer. He confirmed me, once more today, that his computer does not even want to preorder the piece! For him there is a discontinued logo attached to the part! So "move on"!
I even called the official French "Antic&Classic Mercedes" subsidiary" (MB department specialized in Old and Young timers) and they told me that they cannot do anything. Last year, they were able to pre order my cabriolet specific exhaust pipe line (incl catalyze) and ask for a re-manufacture of it (I waited 3 months). But for this (simple) part it is out of question!

Anyhow Plutoe, if you are certain to be able to get the part we can surely find a way to do it (Paypal or bank transfer...), as I have no real other choices to get it.
Just let me know in MP. No problem.

Plutoe, many many thanks in advance for your help!
I will send you a private message on how to proceed--thanks
Old 10-18-2014, 07:40 AM

Hello.
To answer uvr708, this morning I just saw the "piece" on a W124 Station Wagon E320 with... ASR! I tend to think that this part is probably mounted on W124 cars with ASR (anti-skid) system. The part was corroded but much less than mine, and the car is from Paris origin, meaning neither very cold nor heavily salted...
So, in conclusion, this part is not only dedicated to the cabriolet!

Last edited by blackice; 10-18-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:34 AM

1995 E320 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by blackice
Hello.
To answer uvr708, this morning I just saw the "piece" on a W124 Station Wagon E320 with... ASR! I tend to think that this part is probably mounted on W124 cars with ASR (anti-skid) system. The part was corroded but much less than mine, and the car is from Paris origin, meaning neither very cold nor heavily salted...
So, in conclusion, this part is not only dedicated to the cabriolet!
1. If you do not find the piece, let me know. I can ask someone here who has parted out quite a few of these cars. There's a good chance I could find a used one for you.

2. Our cars have a similar history (NY & FL) and sound like they are comparable. (That factory paint from the 90s is remarkably strong.) The equivalent piece in the rear suspension on my Cabriolet is not rusted, but there is superficial rust in other places. (The front tow hook was ugly.) Can you tell me the particular spots where yours needed attention? You mentioned two holes. I'm about to clean up my undercarriage as well and I'd like to know if I can learn from your recent work.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:54 AM

Hi. To end this subject I had one of my friends "making" the part for me out of the best 100% stainless steel available. Should never rust!

URV708 hello and sorry for this very late answer to your post I did not see. The 2 rust holes were located on the left side under the left side of the driver seat. With a screwdriver you can gently hit the chassis to see if you encounter "soft" parts, which is a good indication of rust presence. If the screwdriver makes a hole it is even clearer.
You may also find rust:
- under the spare wheel compartment,
- behind the rear wheel around the water evacuation holes,
- in the wheel compartment around the round rubber seals,
- just behind the front wheels: if you take of the wings plastic covers and the long plastic trims going from under the front wings, under the doors up to the rear wings, you will be able to see the possible damages,
- around the upper attach point of the shock absorbers (front and rear),
- under the windshield washing reservoir on the right part of the engine compartment (most of w124 do have rust there),
- more rarely, all the attach points of the rear cradle.

The best of course is to have access to a lift and with a powerful light to be able to carry a full inspection of the chassis.
My advice would be to treat ASAP all small rusting problems before they become big!

This is also what we discovered after the holes in the chassis. Left rear wheel compartment. All was taken off and welded with new MB parts. New blackson and new paint.

Before: left chassis side.

After: left chassis side.

Right side clean and treated.

Last edited by blackice; 12-30-2014 at 03:28 AM.