E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

96 E320 Wouldnt Start, Replaced CPS, Started, CPS went out again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 96
96 E320 Wouldnt Start, Replaced CPS, Started, CPS went out again

My car wouldnt crank, it would just turn over acting as if it wasnt getting gas or spark. So i checked the fuel supply line with the key position to "on" and verified that the fuel was indeed getting to the injectors. I had a mechanic come over and he found that the Crankshaft position sensor was bad. He changed it and the car fired right up.

On a sidenote, in the process of diagnosing the coils for the no start issue he found that a previous mechanic had tightened the coil cover on one of the air supply lines for my egr valve which i was planning on replacing because my cluster lcd read "engine electronics malfunction" which lead to be EGR valve.

After the mechanic installed the new cps i test drove it then parked it. I started the car again and was driving to the store, i made a turn and smashed the gas a little and i felt the engine jump up a little, the car took off smoothly with power then just died and wouldnt start showing the same symptoms of bad cps prior.

1) Can a clogged or blocked eg valve caused rough idle
2) can bad motor mounts cause damage to my cps or how it needs to work
3) can there be any other issues that would cause rough idle /vibration grinding feeling inside the car.

also please add any relevant information or testimony of how you went through same thing and how replacing engine mounts made a huge improvment.

I am getting mine fixed soon
Old 10-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
yes
no--it's a sensor and puts its data on the CAN for modules(primarily the ECU) to use
there are too many to list--suggest you contact the mechanic and have him run a quick test!!

Are your mounts leaking and or who told you that you have bad engine/transmission mounts!