E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

--This looks sick--Cold air intak

Old 03-04-2008, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
--This looks sick--Cold air intak

http://www.wadeperformanceproducts.c...velopment.html

damm i wish it wasnt that exensive
Old 03-04-2008, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
these Wade kits are often available on Ebay for a fairly decent price. If my friend's success with his GTI is any indication, you are better off fashioning your own CAI from parts from Home Depot and having a go at it this way.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Cls63s AMG
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
these Wade kits are often available on Ebay for a fairly decent price. If my friend's success with his GTI is any indication, you are better off fashioning your own CAI from parts from Home Depot and having a go at it this way.
wait he is makeing one him self?
and what is CAI?

this is the only part i need to find than i can polly make one

Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
CAI = Cold Air Intake, which is an oxymoron in the W124...there is no cold air in our engine compartment....leave it stock and paint the filter cover if you need bling so bad...
Old 03-04-2008, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 e320...sold the rest
I just like the way the piping looks. It kinda spices it up under the hood. I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while, even though it doesn't affect it any...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt the w124 have the best air flow possible with the stock box and maybe a K&N?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Cls63s AMG
Originally Posted by STLe320
I just like the way the piping looks. It kinda spices it up under the hood. I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while, even though it doesn't affect it any...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt the w124 have the best air flow possible with the stock box and maybe a K&N?
yah lol the piping looks sick but am looking more twards some difference to it, heard it gives you better throtel response, better gas milage and such? yes no?

Last edited by berti_00; 03-04-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
no. no. and no.

Stock is best for a stock motor. Hot air Intakes like those will HURT performance....
Old 03-04-2008, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Cls63s AMG
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
no. no. and no.

Stock is best for a stock motor. Hot air Intakes like those will HURT performance....
really? so there is no better preformance at all. you sure? one of the guys from here did his and says that it well worth it? i dont know as to i never had one on this car

well see if i can find that piece that i circled i can proly make one my self and check it out if nothing... i'll thorw the original air filter back there... summer is coming and i would not mind workin on that car hehehe as i am on it everyday ehhehe
**my dad the other day said i wish you would put this much effort in school as you do in your car hehehe...
i put the dash speakers on today cuz the stock paper ones were ****ty and these ROCK heheh

we'll see
Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
since when does rock beat paper??

CAI = gay on our hot engines...those that say it works have either an FI system like RBYCC etc that would benefit, or they are lying.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Cls63s AMG
since when does rock beat paper??

CAI = gay on our hot engines...those that say it works have either an FI system like RBYCC etc that would benefit, or they are lying.
so sice our engines are HOT aka also sexy hehehe no but if they are hot wouldent the intake be better than the big thing? no!!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the 124s intake is in front of the radiator. so its already a cold air intake.

all those other cold air intakes which have the filter element in the engine compartment, are sucking in warm to hot air. not cold air intakes at all.

ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE ON THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT!!!!!!!

an intake whose inlet is located low in the front bumper could ostensibly be better than the stock one. but you run the risk of ingesting water into your engine if you drive through a puddle.

as the man said, stock is best.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
My bro had one of these on his 190E a few years back and it did nothing for performance, I would stay with stock, or atleast keep your stock assembly for when this thing breaks apart after a few years and you are stuck up chit's creek looking for a replacement.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:53 AM

90 300e and B5 S4
Originally Posted by berti_00
wait he is makeing one him self?
and what is CAI?

this is the only part i need to find than i can polly make one

That part (black rubber boot) that you are looking for is from a late 80's early 90's VW 4 cyl. golf/jetta.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Cls63s AMG
Originally Posted by overboostTSI
That part (black rubber boot) that you are looking for is from a late 80's early 90's VW 4 cyl. golf/jetta.
i swear i've wanted to ask that but i thought i would be wrong and didnt even bother lol.... i used to have a GTI and i've seen jettas the 16v with that? so that should work your saying?
Old 03-05-2008, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
OMG...why are you still contemplating it? YOu want your car to run worse?
Old 03-05-2008, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Cls63s AMG
OMG...why are you still contemplating it? YOu want your car to run worse?
lol no not at all but still tempting
Old 03-05-2008, 03:57 AM

i now drive a ford p71 i also own a 1988 ford f150 lariat
Originally Posted by berti_00
crap i would say that for this thing
. ooooooo wow i make 5hp more like i care it looks awesome but you would have better luck making one your self. i could make one easy it is not hard to do at all. the key is to make the air flow free and unrestricted to the car. this kit dose that but it is a little warm where it sits and that dose not help much. for cooling
Old 03-05-2008, 04:00 AM

i now drive a ford p71 i also own a 1988 ford f150 lariat
oh i just thought about some thing if you have a turbo have fun trying to fit the turbo next to that stupid thing
Old 03-05-2008, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by Rio Z Lander
oh i just thought about some thing if you have a turbo have fun trying to fit the turbo next to that stupid thing
The air filter and intake comes before the turbos.
The connection to the air valve ( where the air cleaner used to sit ) is boost tubing.
This is how I pick up cold air for the turbos.
Sealed filter box mounted behind the right headlight, ducted out to behind the tow hook cover.

From the filter box to the turbos

As someone previously posted, all W124's come stock with cold air drawn in from next to the headlight from the area between the grille and the radiator support.
Just follow the tube that goes into your air cleaner.
The Wade Performance unit will not do much as it pulls air from the engine bay, a worse condition then stock.

Use the money you'll spend for the CAI to tune your car which will give better results !!!!

Ed A.

Last edited by RBYCC; 03-05-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Youngtimer
another thing with those stainless pipes is they get HOT very quickly, especially in the engine bay of one of our cars which usually average a temperature roughly three degrees less than the surface of the sun. this just heats up the air even more... i would just go at the stock tubes with a paint can, if you want to spice anything up...!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:17 AM

'95 E420 SE
Originally Posted by STLe320
...Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt the w124 have the best air flow possible with the stock box and maybe a K&N?

100% true
Old 03-05-2008, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 e320...sold the rest
Thought so...

Thanks Shan
Old 03-05-2008, 10:55 AM

1994 E320 (current)
A cold air intake tube and filter is only useful when it can do the following.

1. Eliminate air intake resonating /noise dampening chambers. Most of these are extra compartments that the air goes through in order to dampen the intake noise and has a secondary benefit of a greater "reservoir" of air at the intakes disposal (in theory) What this whole get up does it limits the amount of flow that can come through the intake, the whole fastest way from a to b is a straight line thing. Many Sport compacts have this on them but the Benz does not.

2. Bring Cold (not engine compartment air) into the intake. Cold air is denser and non engine compartment air is more Oxygen rich offering higher compression and a more explosive detonation. Since the Benz was already designed to do this from the factory this is not needed.

3. Looks. If you really want the look of a sport compact tuner go get a civic and have at it. If you want to do it to your Benz then the next logical step is a Fart Can muffler, A bat wing spoiler, a Nitrous Kit big enough to fry your ring seats the first time you use it and a plastic body kit the will fall off in a year, and NEONS gotta have the NEONS.

Most people buy a Benz because they are the pinnacle of engineering and the styling is top notch (especially the 124) Do whatever you want to your Benz it's your Benz. But the people who will give you Props are the 17 year old Kids with their 4 bangers who thing drag racing is racing. Your car is a touring car if you want to spend some money and have it make a difference other than "bling" pay attention to the suspension, braking system, and rubber. If you really want more power have your head sent to get extrude honed and port and polish your intake. There are things to do that will really increase the power of the engine but the Cold Air Intake is not one of them. But again it's your Benz you paid for it do what ever you want.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Youngtimer
i was thinking of doing something like RBYCC... cut a hole into the bottom of the airbox, and put a tube running down that opens to the front of the car. maybe put some sort of basic filter on the end to keep leaves out.
this would allow more air to the factory box, and it would be below the filter so it would still block all the dust etc. It won't be shiny, but what do you guys think of that? like i always say, i never drive above 80 for the most part, but i would feel better if my car could breathe a little better, especially when we have triple digit summers here...
only thing is i think there's sheetmetal under the airbox, and if so, i'll be dAmned if i ever want to cut through that
Old 03-05-2008, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by RBYCC
The air filter and intake comes before the turbos.
The connection to the air valve ( where the air cleaner used to sit ) is boost tubing.
This is how I pick up cold air for the turbos.
Sealed filter box mounted behind the right headlight, ducted out to behind the tow hook cover.

From the filter box to the turbos

As someone previously posted, all W124's come stock with cold air drawn in from next to the headlight from the area between the grille and the radiator support.
Just follow the tube that goes into your air cleaner.
The Wade Performance unit will not do much as it pulls air from the engine bay, a worse condition then stock.

Use the money you'll spend for the CAI to tune your car which will give better results !!!!

Ed A.
well doodley do darn...stick a yam up my shoot and call me Ksing!

THAT THING IS AWESOME!

wow...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: --This looks sick--Cold air intak