E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1994 e320 cabriolet rollover bar/conv top issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 e320 cabriolet
1994 e320 cabriolet rollover bar/conv top issues

I'm new to forum and really need some help. I have a 94'e320 cabriolet. Have owned car for about eight years and never had any issues with the top operation. Got in one day and noticed that the rollover bars were deployed.
While attempting to diagnose the problem, I noticed that the fluid level in the pump reservoir was dropping. It appeared that the rear top latch cylinder was leaking. I need access to the latch cylinder to remove and repair/replace. Problem is that top will not go down with rollover bars deployed. Does anyone know how to get to cylinder without lowering the top or a method of lowering the top with bars deployed? I have even considered cutting an access opening underneath the top storage compartment to get to the cylinder from the trunk. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 771 Likes on 750 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W124 forum...
Old 06-03-2015, 05:00 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Welcome to MBWorld! Not sure if this will help, but check out this thread here. If you run into any other future issues you can check out our DIY tech articles here.

-Luccia
Old 06-03-2015, 05:59 PM

1994 e320 cabriolet
Rollover bar/top issues

Thanks Luccia for reply. Honestly , I have tried all the items mentioned in the referenced info. Main issue is to get the rear top latch released in order to replace the leaking cylinder that operates it. The leak is apparently extensive since I used up two quarts of fluid in just a few test attempts.
There is a little space between the top and the top storage cover so I plan to attempt to get a coat hanger in there and attempt to release the latch.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:25 PM

1994 e320 cabriolet
Soft top/rollover bar issue

Have still been unable to gain access to top storage area. Apparently the bow latch cylinder is leaking and I can't get top down to access the due to rollover bars deployed.
Does anyone know of a procedure to unlatch the top bow from the cover in order to remove the leaking cylinder. I have read comments that state "there is no known method of accessing this latch with the top up".
I have considered cutting an access opening from inside the trunk area on the bottom side of the storage area. Has anyone ever attempted this?