E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Could someone help me find this info, please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could someone help me find this info, please!

I really need to know as much technical data about the m119 4.2 V8 from a 1997 e420 as possible!

More specifically, I need to know what the rods are made of, forged? what the rod length is, what are the pistons made out of, and how they are made. What is the crown design, or the top of the piston? Is there anything special about the piston rings or anything? As much info about the internals as possible. Also, if available, as much info on the head composite and design as well.

If you could steer me to a good website, or give me any info, I would really appreciate it! I need this info asap, so if you could help me out I could in return do some photoshop work for you or something, as this is very important to me!

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
go to www.500ecstasy.com IMMEDIATELY

They will tell you everything that you need to know, and under the "m119" forum, there is even a link (pretty recent) to a dedicated m119 website (can't remember the URL off the top of my head). Good luck!

Edit: ahaha....wow man, you must be desperate. You posted this in like 6 different forums

Are you planning on doing forced induction or something? Rebuild? If you are doing a blower or turbo I would highly recommend that you 1) Step back, take a deep breath, and do much more research than this, and 2) Do not use the stock internals of your m119, and lower the compression. You will also probably want to ditch the LH (or later HFM) injection and go stand-alone. Ask over there, and you will find a lot of help.

Last edited by FLYNAVY; 07-10-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Yeah very desperate, and i will tell you why... in a few weeks.

I really appreciate your help. No FI for now, buy when it comes time to do this, I will go standalone, and I would use a MAP based instead of any HFM. Maybe MSII. I would keep the same pistons, but use some Eagle rods or something, and I am just going to lower the compression with a thicker headgasket.

You seem to know a little about this, what tranny should I use, and where do I source it?

Thanks again!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
I love the m119, and I miss mine so much I drove a CLK55 208 and although it seemed to have more torque, it didn't seem as silky as my 400E was.

I can't wait to see what insanity you have in mind
Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Sweet. If you could give any info on the ideal standalone to use, or wich tranny to use. I don't have a lot to spend on the tranny. Also, any problems with why MegaSquirtII wont work. I got a guy who builds em, and I can understand them pretty well.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Originally Posted by Hellkat
Sweet. If you could give any info on the ideal standalone to use, or wich tranny to use. I don't have a lot to spend on the tranny. Also, any problems with why MegaSquirtII wont work. I got a guy who builds em, and I can understand them pretty well.

Thanks
I have heard good things about Megasquirt, I know some people have put them on the old 450SEL motors and the M103 6cyl. Contact PUMPISH who is building a 700hp turbo m103.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Almost a Member!

K definitly will do. Any thoughts about 5 speed R154 gearboxes, a 6 speed tremec or a 5spd TKO 3550 far as trannys go?
Old 07-11-2007, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Oh man....don't even try to open that bag unless you are willing to spend MAJOR $$$ on R&D. I have done a ton of research on the 5 or 6 speed manual conversion (for m117 and m119 V8's), and there is nobody out there who has done this. The closest thing is some guy in Australia who has done it on his m100 w/ a Tremec box. Renntech DID make a 6 speed for the w124 600e (a renntech special 6.0L) which was built from a ZF unit, but the mod was something like $16k USD. Barry Davis (from AMG West in AZ) reportedly has one in his warehouse, but is holding out for "top dollar". My guess is that you would not get one of these for less than about 12-13 grand. Cheaper would be to either make a custom bellhousing and adapt a Tremec box, or (as one member on mercedesshop has started to do) try and adapt the e39 M5's Getrag 6-spd. The guy over there you want to talk to is "reiner" (or some combo of those letters....just look up the thread about 5 or 6 speed manual for w124). He has made an adapter plate for the m119 to mount to the M5 getrag. Last I heard, he had it connected but didn't have any flywheel or clutch to use. Count on going custom there too. Oh yeah, plan on spending around 1500 to 2000 on just the trans, which you may have to cut up in the end

If you are like me and decide to hold off on the manual, then I would steer away from the stock 722 5 spd auto from the 400/500e. They are not very reliable, and are quite expensive. I would try and use the 722 from an m117 560, which will presumably bolt up. If not that, I would look into one of the other MB V8 auto boxes. Its gonna be a lot of research to find something non-OEM for this motor.

In terms of your motor work, I would highly recommend changing out the pistons. Its just not worth using the cast pistons IMO. Get something up to the task of FI if you plan on doing it....especially if you have the motor torn down. I don't know if you will be doing the motor work yourself, but if not you can figure about $7-900 just for motor teardown. So if you are taking it apart once, it would be worth it to do what needs to be done then and there. Where are you located?

Last edited by FLYNAVY; 07-11-2007 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:59 AM
Almost a Member!

I'm in Durango, CO. Well, I wasn't really planning on FI'ing this one, you jsut got me curious. I know a LOT more about bimmers, so if I wanted a "go fast" sedan I know exactly what to build... for much less. You just got my imagination going! I am going to scrap FI on the Benz all together. Thanks for all your input.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Well good luck w/ whatever you are planning on doing. Post pics.....this doesn't happen to have anything to do w/ the 2 4.2L m119's FS over on the 500e site does it?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Yeah very desperate, and i will tell you why... in a few weeks.

I really appreciate your help. No FI for now, buy when it comes time to do this, I will go standalone, and I would use a MAP based instead of any HFM. Maybe MSII. I would keep the same pistons, but use some Eagle rods or something, and I am just going to lower the compression with a thicker headgasket.

You seem to know a little about this, what tranny should I use, and where do I source it?

Thanks again!
Lowering compression with a thicker headgasket is a horrible idea as it kills the quench and actually increases the chances of detonation
Old 07-16-2007, 08:41 PM
Almost a Member!

No it has nothing to do with tthe ones on the e500 site. I don't know what will happen, but I will definitly let you know.

I know a lot about FI'ing bimmers, and I have built higha nd seen many hp cars that have just used like cometic mls .140 hg to lower comp, without any problems ever. Just use arp head studs, put it on correctly, and there should be no problem. Shoot I have seen some 700+hp bimmers that have gone this route, with out any problems!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
No it has nothing to do with tthe ones on the e500 site. I don't know what will happen, but I will definitly let you know.

I know a lot about FI'ing bimmers, and I have built higha nd seen many hp cars that have just used like cometic mls .140 hg to lower comp, without any problems ever. Just use arp head studs, put it on correctly, and there should be no problem. Shoot I have seen some 700+hp bimmers that have gone this route, with out any problems!
different motor, different combustion chamber, different quench.

My 850bhp mustang has low compression, but it was done properly with dished pistons.