E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Automatic transmission failure.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mb E 220 cdi 1999 mod.
Automatic transmission failure.

I have a mb E class 220 cdi 1999 mod. 458000 km. The car is in very good condition!! My automatic transmission will not shift gear when the engine is cold. When engine reach normal working temp everything is OK. When i start the car it will only run i 1 st gear up to 4-5 minutes, then it shifts to 2 and 3. Must drive further 4 to 5 km for it to shift into 4 and 5 gear. By that time the engine is all warmed up. I have found out that when i start the engine and it`s cold i can bring up the rpm (when parked) to 3000-4000 rpm for a brief time (just hitting the pedal 2 or 3 times to the bottom) it shifts at once, but when i then stops for t.ex. a red light i am back to "normal". The transmission oil hasn`t been changed since 30000 km, but the garage says is`t Ok since it`s should change every 60000 km. Does anybody have any clue what i should do??

Kindly
Mr. Hansen
Norway
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->
Old 05-10-2010, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Hello and Welcome to the forum -

My first reaction is have you checked the fluid level? In a 722.6xx transmission this is done with a special 'dipstick tool' since there is no dipstick for the transmission like there is for the engine oil. Be sure to use the correct factory fluid if the level is low. [Note: Level must be checked when transmission is at full operating temperature and the car is on a level surface.]

Second see a MB dealer and have the car scanned for fault codes. If there are some stored for the transmission (likely) then they will help diagnose the problem.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mb E 220 cdi 1999 mod.
Originally Posted by RichardM98
Hello and Welcome to the forum -

My first reaction is have you checked the fluid level? In a 722.6xx transmission this is done with a special 'dipstick tool' since there is no dipstick for the transmission like there is for the engine oil. Be sure to use the correct factory fluid if the level is low. [Note: Level must be checked when transmission is at full operating temperature and the car is on a level surface.]

Second see a MB dealer and have the car scanned for fault codes. If there are some stored for the transmission (likely) then they will help diagnose the problem.

Good luck.
Tanks for your answer. Yes the oil is checked and level is ok. The faulty codes are also cheked and theres was a few. The MB dealer told me that i probably must replace valve block that is attached to the pick up pipe. Does this make sence? Can i trye to clean the oil pick up strainer first or?