E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

'00 W210 4Matic Wagon Rear Sagging... springs or accumulators?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E 320 4Matic Wagon & 1993 Toyota Camry
'00 W210 4Matic Wagon Rear Sagging... springs or accumulators?

Hello guys. It's been a while since I've posted here, but I continue to appreciate all of the great info that circulates on this and the "other" MB forum.

Our '00 W210 4Matic wagon is riding low and harsh in the rear. 129k miles, all original suspension components (to the best of my knowledge). I had it aligned last month at the local dealer, and the sales writer said it needed new rear springs. I know they attempted to adjust the rear suspension ride height, but it was already maxed out (probably at the last alignment).

I'm skeptical that the springs are the problem. I plan to replace the rear accumulator bulbs, and I'm wondering if it makes sense to replace the springs too. I can buy the accumulators and replace them myself, but I'm not comfortable replacing the springs myself. If I take the wagon to the indy for springs I may as well have him do the accumulators too. Of course, that's a lot more $$$ than diy-ing the accumulators and keeping the old springs.

Any thoughts? Should I diy the accumulators first and see what happens? Should I bite the bullet and get the springs and accumulators done by the indy?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
00 E320 Wagon 4matic
Originally Posted by cbpeck
Hello guys. It's been a while since I've posted here, but I continue to appreciate all of the great info that circulates on this and the "other" MB forum.

Our '00 W210 4Matic wagon is riding low and harsh in the rear. 129k miles, all original suspension components (to the best of my knowledge). I had it aligned last month at the local dealer, and the sales writer said it needed new rear springs. I know they attempted to adjust the rear suspension ride height, but it was already maxed out (probably at the last alignment).

I'm skeptical that the springs are the problem. I plan to replace the rear accumulator bulbs, and I'm wondering if it makes sense to replace the springs too. I can buy the accumulators and replace them myself, but I'm not comfortable replacing the springs myself. If I take the wagon to the indy for springs I may as well have him do the accumulators too. Of course, that's a lot more $$$ than diy-ing the accumulators and keeping the old springs.

Any thoughts? Should I diy the accumulators first and see what happens? Should I bite the bullet and get the springs and accumulators done by the indy?

Thanks in advance.
I am having the same exact issues. I wish someone would comment on this thread...
Old 08-26-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2 2001 E320s, 2005 E320 4Matic
Make a thorough inspection of all suspension components including hydraulic lines, fluid level and condition. If the shocks are not weeping or leaking they are good. Springs, especially in your location are prone to rusting and breaking. If all the above is good, and the issue is a harsh ride, replace the accumulators. This is an easy DIY, and instructions can be found easily. This is a pretty simple system, and easy to troubleshoot.

Last edited by RichM; 08-26-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
00 E320 Wagon 4matic
Originally Posted by RichM
Make a thorough inspection of all suspension components including hydraulic lines and fluid level and condition If the shocks are not weeping or leaking they are good. Springs, especially in your location are prone to rusting and breaking. If all the above is good, and the issue is a harsh ride, replace the accumulators. This is an easy DIY, and instructions can be found easily. This is a pretty simple system, and easy to troubleshoot.
I had this done yesterday. no leaks and springs seem to be in good shape.
Can someone PLEASE provide a link to the accumulator replacement procedure/instructions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2 2001 E320s, 2005 E320 4Matic
Second link post #37, is very comprehensive.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/atta...ulator-removal

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...-values-4.html

Last edited by RichM; 08-27-2014 at 11:06 AM.