E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

My First MB! 1998 E class sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220 CDI 1998
My First MB! 1998 E class sedan

Hi all! Just bought my first MB and I have to say it really met my expectations and even surpassed it.
To begin with, I am really happy how it looks, it has nice light-blueish exterior and white cockpit. Everything inside looks really solid-built, except a gap between storage compartment below armrest and gear shiftier.
As all W210's in salty winter places, it has some minor rust, but I will work on it before there is a chance for a snow to fall.
It's completely stock and I love the way everything feels completed, however I wish I could add AUX input to my stereo, which has 6CD changer. Here's the picture of my stereo below, maybe anyone could share his/her ideas on how to implement AUX?

Old 07-23-2014, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
You can make your own if you are willing to give up the CD changer. You just need a 2.5mm mini cable (about 12" unless you are going to the glove box then 18"), a soldering iron and some 0.110x0.02 slip on connectors. But if you are not familiar with soldering 24g wire things may not end well. You can have Becker Autosound add an aux-in cable to your radio (maintaining the CD changer). They can also do an exchange (faster). You'll need a set of radio keys to remove the unit as well.

Cut off one end of the cable, remove insulation and solder three connectors. Attach one each to left and right input and the third to ground on the C connector. You may want to add some strain relief to the radio input end.

See this thread for pin-out chart.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...o-working.html
Attached Thumbnails My First MB! 1998 E class sedan-auxinconnector.jpg  

Last edited by RichardM98; 07-23-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:33 PM

E220 CDI 1998
Unfortunately I live in country out of Becker Autosound reach. So that easy and popular solutions does not apply. I also dont want to spend extra 50 euros on aftermarket "magic boxes" since theoretically(or luckily) I can do it myself.

Many thanks to you, Richard! I cannot say, that I am a master of soldering, but I have done that in the past, and I think there is not much needed in this case, because if I understood you correctly, I am not going to dismantle stereo itself - all i gonna do is to mess a little bit with the wires connecting to it.

I have studied your connection instructions and I will check how does it compare to mine stereo, I hope MB sticked to the same connections.

So, the main idea is to get 3.5 mm audio cable, cut it into three pieces and then attach it to corresponding sections:

Socket C3
18, 19, 20

Thanks for being so specific! I will report on how it turnet out later next week when my holidays will take off!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mr.Sunshine

I have studied your connection instructions and I will check how does it compare to mine stereo, I hope MB sticked to the same connections.

So, the main idea is to get 3.5 mm audio cable, cut it into three pieces and then attach it to corresponding sections:

Socket C3
18, 19, 20

Thanks for being so specific! I will report on how it turnet out later next week when my holidays will take off!
To clarify - 1) cut off one end of the cable, 2) remove about 1" of the outer insulation, 3) attach a connector to each of the two conductors, 4) roll up the shield (fine wire mesh) into a 'wire' and attach the third connector to it.

I can't be positive but I have a Euro model Becker radio (much newer model than stock) and the connectors on the back were the same.

Also, besides the radio keys (cheap at dealer or online) you will need your radio code card since you are disconnecting the power from the radio.

I have used this for a MP3 player for several years without a problem.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:09 PM

E220 CDI 1998
Originally Posted by RichardM98
Also, besides the radio keys (cheap at dealer or online) you will need your radio code card since you are disconnecting the power from the radio.
Radio code card you say? Since I baught it second handed (most likely third or fourth handed) there were no manuals at all or service documents. Basically, what I got was a set of two keys and documents...

Previous owner told me the code of the radio I have to punch in anytime I turn ignition on an/or start the engine. It is always the same, but once I cut off the power it will be a new code, presumably from code card? If then, maybe I should try putting AUX wires without disconnecting power from stereo.

Than you by the way!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Becker and, I believe, Alpine radios used in W210 MB's have a four digit radio code for security. The wiring harness has two 12v lines -- one controlled by the ignition and a second always on to maintain station settings. When you disconnect power to the radio either by disconnecting the wiring harness at the back or by disconnecting the car's battery, the first time you turn the radio on it will ask you to enter the code. If you didn't get the card with the car, then you can go to a dealer and show proof of ownership and they can look up the code. They may need to confirm the radios S/N.

I think you'll find that the cables to the back of the radio are too short to gain access to the necessary connectors.

FYI - entering the wrong code causes a delay before you have a chance to try again. The delay keeps increasing and the radio must be left on while you wait. All part of MB's theft prevention system. You shouldn't have to repeatedly enter the code when starting the car unless the wiring harness is somehow faulty.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:22 AM

E220 CDI 1998
whoah! New surprises! I have to enter the 5 digit code every time I put ignition on and again after I start engine...but again, mine stereo is neither Alpine or Becker, I've done a little of research and mine is "Mercedes Special APS BP4902 Blaupunkt Navigation System" maybe it is different procedure with Blaupunkt. Hopefully previous owner didn't messed with wiring...

I cannot find any manual or wiring diagram for my stereo, fingers crossed it will be the same, or I will have to take it out and hope there is diagram sticker.

Concerning the security code, I found this website (free registration required) where you can find security codes for radios:

http://www.radio-code.lt/cc-2662?ext=html

UPDATE:

Hah! Googling is never enough! I found the picture of the back side of my stereo model and it looks identical to the one you showed my at first reply! Hopefully next week I will listen to my 64GB audio library!

Last edited by Mr.Sunshine; 07-24-2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

While radios may vary by country, but it would be cost prohibitive to have different wiring harnesses in the same model. I found this site searching for your radio model - http://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-rad...-Connector.htm

Most sites promising to give you the radio code are scams. Have your virus protection turned on.

You can test the voltage on the wiring harness. A5 should be hot all the time and A7 only when key is on. If A5 is only hot when the key is on that is probably why you are having to re-enter the code.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:00 AM

E220 CDI 1998
Another day, another surprise! I've visited a local electronics shop, looking for pin connectors (and radio removal keys) when I was surprised to see the that they have already prepared versions for AUX connectors for Blaupunkt radios. Considering it didn't cost that much (approximately 20 USD) I purchased one.

Happy and anxious I took out the radio and replaced the connector from CD changer with my newly purchased AUX solution and... Radio bluntly responded NO CD.

After taking another look I found that the AUX solution has one pin placed into slot, where it is blank in original CD changer connector.

(the lower left pin is empty, unlike in my purchased solution)

lower left pin contains cable, which is blank in original CD changer judging from the diameter its not ground.

So, I back at square one. I still have no idea which cables I should be changing. I am searching everywhere for wiring diagram where lower left is empty.

And bonus question: When I will find where audio L/R goes, I will replace only these wires, leaving everything in place to not get NO CD message, but then I will have to run my CD changer all the time with some CDs to trick system, that it is CD changer playing while actual sound will arrive from AUX ?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Looks like your new cable would work fine in my car. Perhaps there is a change between Becker and Blaupunkt. Have you tried connecting a device via the RCA connectors on the cable to see if there's sound?

There should be a menu setting in the radio for AUX which will eliminate the No CD message. If there isn't then maybe this solution will not work for you.

The AUX IN connectors on the radio provide input either for the CD changer or other device such as MP3 player. The radio processes that signal and outputs sound to the speakers. If you were to connect directly to the speakers you would have, at best, two different sounds at the same time!!

If you have a local MB Auto Sound shop you might run it by them. Also, you could post in the Sound/Electronics subforum at Benzworld. The resident expert is Skylaw.