E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

01 e430 central locking/alarm issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 e430, 99 c230 kompressor
01 e430 central locking/alarm issue

Alright, so I'm having a little bit of an electrical issue and I'm trying to figure out how to attack it before going to the dealer or an indy.

Long story short, the inside of my car got EXTREMELY wet. The car wasn't submerged in water, but the carpet was wet enough that it required removal and a few days of drying in the sun. The water damaged the Central Locking Unit (PSE), which has been replaced.

The problem I'm now having is sometimes (not every day) the alarm randomly goes off repeatedly. I've seen a few threads around where people had issues with the alarm's tip/level sensors have gone bad or were damaged by moisture, as well as a few threads where the siren's battery is low/bad and causes the alarm to go off. I'm actually thinking it could be the siren since I can pull the fuse for the siren, allowing only the lights to flash if the alarm goes off (tested by holding the panic button), and no issue.

I guess my questions are: What, if anything, is tied to the alarm that could have been damaged by the water (under the back seat in particular)? Is there a way to check the siren...how many volts is the battery?
Old 09-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Did you replace with a new pump or used one and was it(new or used) coded to your car(diagnostically)
Old 09-30-2014, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Plutoe
Did you replace with a new pump or used one and was it(new or used) coded to your car(diagnostically)
I replaced it with a used one, and no I did not have it coded. Funny thing about that is, initially I purchased a working, used one that was not the right pump (looked identical but was missing 2 ports and had the wrong part number...208 chassis). I took mine apart, cleaned the board with 91% alcohol and swapped the pumps. So at that point I had my board, which is already coded and a working pump. The thing worked flawlessly for 3-4 days, then randomly the alarm went off after a 1 mile trip to the grocery store (that's when I pulled the fuse), and the next morning I had BAS, ABS, and ESP warnings. That's when I purchased the current pump, which has my identical part number, and after a quick steering wheel reset all of the lights went off...only issue that returned is the alarm.

I've got plans tomorrow to take it to an indy I spoke with earlier. $50 to hook up the Star and program or find the source of the alarm triggers.

I hate that I bought the European package for my Snap On Solus Ultra, and it can't do what I need it to do.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Thanks for telling us the complete story!!
Old 10-01-2014, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Plutoe
Thanks for telling us the complete story!!
I was trying to avoid writing a book. The story remains the same...part got damaged, tried to repair part, repair worked then failed with alarm/abs/esp/bas issues, replaced part with used which fixed everything but the alarm issue.

I stopped by an indy today and gave him the story. He pulled a section of the harness out from under the passenger door sill and carpet. There's a connector with 11 plugs (all brown wires) which, if wet, will cause alarm issues. He told me to leave it out and make sure it's dried out, disconnect the battery and touch the cables together, and use my scanner to make sure I clear all of the codes. If I'm still having issues then I can bring it to him for a Star diagnostic (I think he didn't have the time today).

Oddly enough, the alarm hasn't gone off since I started my thread yesterday. I also noticed one of the 11 plugs in that harness was halfway disconnected (it "clicked" when I pushed it back in). To be continued...