E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

2001 E320 4Matic - 722.6 Trans slipping [ErrorCodes]= P2502, P2500 & P220A

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 4matic
Exclamation 2001 E320 4Matic - 722.6 Trans slipping [ErrorCodes]= P2502, P2500 & P220A

Hey Everyone,

As I've been researching and reading several other threads for days relating to common 722.6 transmission issues,
I have yet to come across one with my specific symptoms.

-Starting at the top,
25,000KM back, I got the P0715 speed sensor error code,
at that time the conductor plate & connection plug was changed. with new gasket/filter refilled with proper MB 722.6 fluid.
she drove and shifted perfectly!

Now 25k later...back in Limp/Home mode with a new set of error codes

P2500 - The transmission has an impermissible ratio
P2502 - The gear is implausible or the transmission is slipping
p220A - The speed comparison of Y3/6n2 to Y3/6n3 is implausible

[Is anyone familiar with this specific combination of codes?]

Before falling into home mode, I experienced the car sluggishly shift up from 1-2 and/or 2-3 and then ok after 3rd up to 4th or 5th gear..
with random hard shift to D or R

Also at times after slowing down for a turn or to a complete stop, it would no longer have power/torque to reaccelerate, "as it was stuck in 4th or 5th" pulled over to let it sit and restart and it would drive fine again for 1-2days.

Had this happen a couple times before getting a dash light and TCU codes,

After reset drove fine for couple more days to fall back in home mode with an additional 3rd error code.

After reading other threads I have 2 fixes in mind,

1.Sonnax Master Overlap Valve Sleeve Set

LINK
http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2317-mas...lve-sleeve-kit

2.TransGo Shift Kit [SK 722.6]

LINK
http://www.transgo.com/products.php?...dcountview=Yes

Since the conductor plate, plug with O-ring, filter/gasket and fluid have recently been changed, I'm not sure where else to look.

If anyone with experience or knowledge with this specific combination of error codes or symptoms please point me in the right direction?
it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited by Anoetic; 03-04-2016 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
The problem with you diagnostics is that they do not cross reference to the MB transmission fault codes(MB system) and it will be very difficult for someone with DAS Xentry, the MB diagnostic tool to just simply provide you and answer that will help without connecting to the car and read the TCU------however this post is a fly paper post and no doubt you will get responses that start with---"I am not a transmission expert,but"---be watchful!!

You will have to wait till someone with the exact same tool has the exact same fault codes to help-----or find someone in the community with DAS Xentry who can help!
Old 03-04-2016, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Without going into DAS spamming, those transmission suffer from wires and TCM contamination due old and leaky orings on pilot bushings.
You are saying replacing the bushing 25k km ago solved the problems at the time.
That would confirm the theory.
But did you wash the plug very well and check TCM for ATF contamination?
I would recheck new pilot bushing, wash the plug and TCM even if they don't show contamination.
All you have to loose is some time and a can of MAF cleaner.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:22 PM

ML320,C-240,C230
Scanners that read and erase TCM dodes

Originally Posted by Plutoe
The problem with you diagnostics is that they do not cross reference to the MB transmission fault codes(MB system) and it will be very difficult for someone with DAS Xentry, the MB diagnostic tool to just simply provide you and answer that will help without connecting to the car and read the TCU------however this post is a fly paper post and no doubt you will get responses that start with---"I am not a transmission expert,but"---be watchful!!

You will have to wait till someone with the exact same tool has the exact same fault codes to help-----or find someone in the community with DAS Xentry who can help!
Are you saying that ICarSoftMB and others who made scanners that have the capability of reading and erasing MD codes in the TCM are not telling us the correct error codes since they all differ in how they read and interpret the faults? Others in the forum say that they are capable of doing the same read and interpet functions as the Star diagnostics scanners. Mine certainly read and erased them but now they have returned after ony about 15 min of drive time. They were quite simular to the ones listed in the original post
P2502
P2503
P220A
p206D

I also got a group of P2069 and P2066 codes but if I recall correctly they were in relation to the O2 Sensors

Like every one else, I am pretty much at a loss for a solution, My wife's 04 C240 is sitting in the driveway( she is driving my daughters 2001 Nissan Sentra while she is away at school) while my 99 ML320 just keeps chugging away. I am having rotator Cuff surgery tomorrow, but if someone comes up with a solution that I can pursue one handed I would be delighted with anykind of assistance. thanks

To date I have replaced the conductior plate MB OME
branded, had the TCU cleaned and rebuilt, Swapped out my trans to TCM wiring, new fluid and filter

The last time I drove it after clearing the codes, it ran and shifted great until I stopped at a car wash. After sitting a few minutes for the attendant (approx. 5 min) I paid and put the car in gear-both drive and reverse- and nada. I shut it off and restarted it and it drove away fine. Then I stopped for gas on the way home and when pulling out, it seems to slip a bit and then went in to safe mode. Not being able to do anything until my shoulder is fixed, I just drove it home and parked it until after the surgery and rehab.

I should add, I have read where some of the faults that are showing on my wife's car are sometimes attributed to an overfill situation that creates foaming and causes the TCM to become confused. but with surgery pending in 12 hours and flooding rains here at Amelia Island, I will not be able to try removing some (I did send my wife to Target to pick up a turkey baster and I already have some small diameter plastic tubing,haha). From what i know of the surgery , it will be at least a few weeks before I will be able to do much of anything but I will keep checking and hoping someone can figure this out. Cheers.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/ assistance, etc.

Ray

Last edited by Jeeper270; 08-01-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
The most common problem with those transmissions is leak, followed by contamination at pilot bushing, what shortens the wires and comes with hole bunch of electronic errors.
If left long enough - ATF travels to TCM and shorten circuits there.
Spending hours in front of the screen will not substitute for some elbow grease and a can of electronic cleaner.
Did you get your surgery done and can do some cleaning?
Old 08-02-2016, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Sure... what kjk1 has aptly pointed out .. is the most common problem,, and from your post regarding what-has-been-done... please understand a failing adapter plug is the original source of the fluid contamination/comm error .. overtime wicking up the harness... into TCU.

1) You has conductor plate replaced - before comm error was cleared .. all good to have fresh conductor plate.. could have been unnecessary

2) No mention of replacement tranny adapter plug (also termed pilot bushing) which needs to be replaced with only MB/MOPAR replacement part $14

3) "replaced wiring" - unnecessary if tranny adapter plug replaced and TCM cleaned

4) "TCM cleaned and rebuilt" well... can be properly cleaned (as well as connector) and air dried... have no idea what "rebuilt" means

5) Yes - your Scansoft does not provide "accurate" MB codes ...although the generic tranny codes can be "interpreted" to assume some MB codes

Please recheck adapter plug - replace with gen MB/MOPAR part... pull/clean TCM board with MAF cleaner (flood clean box sides - air dry - clean connector air dry).

Recheck tranny fluid level

Clear codes with Scansoft.

Advise result..

"fomaing tranny fluid" - unless their has been coolant/tranny fluid contamination - does not "foam"...
The following users liked this post:
Jeeper270 (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 02:19 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (SOLD); 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
p220A - The speed comparison of Y3/6n2 to Y3/6n3 is implausible... those 2 speed sensors are located on top & front of transmission valve body. From what I've observed in my car while driving & monitoring 'Actual Values' of ETC control unit in DAS, Y3/6n2 reports it's value in all gears while Y3/6n3 only reports it's value in 2, 3, & 4. Both speed sensors should report identical values to within + or - 1 RPM of each other when running up or down through gears. If one is not keeping in sync w/ other, I believe smooth shifting would definitely be affected. This is where I would concentrate research as failure of one or both of these speed sensors could be enough to trigger multiple DTCs IMHO. This also illustrates why it's important to have an OEM-level diagnostic tool when attempting to troubleshoot an MB transmission because you can observe control unit's telemetry in real-time as opposed to just pulling DTCs after the fact & attempting to decypher which ones are true & which ones are being triggered as a result of others. JMHO! Do a search on Youtube for a user named 'MBOwnersClub' & subscribe to that channel. It has been very active lately, uploading what appear to be MB OEM factory repair videos faster than 'Mercedessource' can upload even <smile>. Lots of good information available on YT.... Also search for a user named 'questioning3' & subscribe to that channel. Good luck with this issue & speedy recovery from surgery also!

Last edited by PSDCampervan; 08-02-2016 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:12 AM

ML320,C-240,C230
Leaving for surgery right now but will do as toid in a few days and advise, thanks much
Old 08-03-2016, 09:47 AM

ML320,C-240,C230
thanks both were done but maybe need to be address more throughly

thanks for the prompt reply. typing left hand only so will be brief,lol. ordered a new plug and rings and will have a friend who builds race engines and worked on NASCAR circuit till he wife made him quit. will also have him pull TCM and check the harness. i had 2 complete tears so will be 9 months or so before i can do anything competently so will have to farm it out,haha since i have lots of time, will update as soon as i can get off the pain pills

thanks again to everyone

Ray
Old 08-03-2016, 09:54 AM

ML320,C-240,C230
thanks both were done but maybe need to be address more throughly

thanks for the prompt reply. typing left hand only so will be brief,lol. ordered a new plug and rings and will have a friend who builds race engines and worked on NASCAR circuit till he wife made him quit. will also have him pull TCM and check the harness. i had 2 complete tears so will be 9 months or so before i can do anything competently so will have to farm it out,haha since i have lots of time, will update as soon as i can get off the pain pills

thanks again to everyone

Ray
Old 08-03-2016, 09:56 AM

ML320,C-240,C230
sorry pain pills make me goofy,lol
Old 08-06-2021, 07:52 PM

E320 Wagon 1999
Hi @Anoetic , I got exactly the same errors. And I've replaced everything that you've replaced as well. My car is not driving. What was the problem in your case?

Thank you.