E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-09-2015, 04:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Red battery message ( Visit workshop)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2011 E350, 1998 ML320
Originally Posted by S1CKE92
Peps and oriellys have the one that you have to mix with the acid and autozone chick had no idea what i was talking bout lol.
The battery that you have to fill with acid is going to last much longer. Once a battery is activated (filled with acid) it begins to age, there is a natural self-discharge and the cells begin to get a layer of sulfation as the internal charge gets lower through time. a battery that is stored on the shelf dry (without acid) does not go through these chemical changes.

If you buy a battery that has been activated, it could be six months, or a year old, sitting in the warehouse, then the store's shelves until you bought it. You are giving away a fair sized chunk of it's lifespan, for the convenience of not having to pour a few ounces of liquid from one container into another.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
The Star Diagnosis tool has a specific test for that relay. You could disconnect the relay and measure it pretty much like a normal relay. It would be a bit difficult to check from the car because the relay isn't always closed when engine is running.
What I have found on relays in PCM's and other on board computers is most of the time the relay mechanically works. But if you check close you see the contacts are riveted to the plastic material. This heating and cooling on the primary contact results in loss of pressure on the main contact that opens and closes. Then it fails to function but when you check it hasn't burned out and open and closed may work sometimes but the frequency of poor operation continues until current doesn't flow through the primary contacts.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Can anybody confirm if the relay part number is :
A 002 542 38 19 / V23132-A2001-X14 PA
The following users liked this post:
Daniel Leal (12-28-2020)
Old 07-29-2012, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
I just did some tests.

So when car is dead/off the front battery is at 12.6 and the rear is at 5.4 (poor thing, lol. FYI it's a new battery, like 2 months old or 6 weeks)

When jumpstarted and running by itself, rear battery is up to 13.8 but the front is still at 12.6 and refuses to budge.

Red battery message is up.

My guess is it sounds like the front relay, right? What are thoughts on this?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
If the front battery is still the same voltage, could be a bad isolator relay (which i had to replace). And def get a new rear battery, covered under warranty.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
When fitting the relay I need to remove the rear battery ground, for safety, right?

I'll have a go at changing it this week.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MERCEDES 2004 E 320, 2003 350 ml, 2004 c230 kompressor
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
The Star Diagnosis tool has a specific test for that relay. You could disconnect the relay and measure it pretty much like a normal relay. It would be a bit difficult to check from the car because the relay isn't always closed when engine is running.
Thanks
Old 07-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Attachment covers dual battery system explaining part function i.e.: relay, BCM, etc.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
211_dual_battery_system.pdf (1.79 MB, 1718 views)
Old 07-30-2012, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
You can always count on Konig for useful info

Cheers man.

FYI I ordered an aux battery relay today. Should be with me by Thursday for fitting.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Update:

So I fitted a new aux battery relay and it has solved the problem - no more red error message, yay!

My main battery got down to 2.2 volts after having sat for 4 days straight. It took a good 10 minutes just to get it to struggle n start and then it took a further 40 minutes to 'fully' charge the battery ie, get rid of the convenience functions message. Worth noting that unlike before, once the engine was running, the aux battery was now showing 14+ volts, wheras when I jump started it the other day and the main battery was showing 14+ volts, the aux battery didn't move from 12.6.

I've been driving it a fair bit this evening and the main battery is kinda at 12.2 or 12.3 volts, so perhaps the massive draining has compromised it's life a little bit, who knows. I'll give it a few days to monitor how it fares and then take it from there.

Bottom line - problem solved. Thank you MB World
Old 08-04-2012, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
Update:

So I fitted a new aux battery relay and it has solved the problem - no more red error message, yay!

My main battery got down to 2.2 volts after having sat for 4 days straight. It took a good 10 minutes just to get it to struggle n start and then it took a further 40 minutes to 'fully' charge the battery ie, get rid of the convenience functions message. Worth noting that unlike before, once the engine was running, the aux battery was now showing 14+ volts, wheras when I jump started it the other day and the main battery was showing 14+ volts, the aux battery didn't move from 12.6.

I've been driving it a fair bit this evening and the main battery is kinda at 12.2 or 12.3 volts, so perhaps the massive draining has compromised it's life a little bit, who knows. I'll give it a few days to monitor how it fares and then take it from there.

Bottom line - problem solved. Thank you MB World
Well done on the solving. 12.2 probably means your main battery is damaged and has lost some reserve cranking capacity. It may last for a while but in very cold winters it might be an issue. I have had one drop to 11.8 and still start but it wasn't pleasant.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
good to see that the battery relay was the solution to the red battery code. I would replace the rear since it got down to 2.2v...Esp if you have winter weather where you are. Also good to have a battery charger (ctek) handy to charge the car when you dont drive it for awhile.

Guess the cars are at the age that these parts are worn out with all the electronic modules on these cars. Never ran into this with acura/lexus/toy/honda.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Thanks guys

I checked the battery voltage an hour ago and it was showing 12.7 or 12.9 so it's getting higher I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for the next few days and monitor it's behaviour.

As for the car on the whole, yeah, it's such a shame that it looks like with these cars, it'll be the electrical components that die out quicker than the core mechanics of the engine/tranny. It's a very fussy car, I must say. But....for that 5 minutes when it finally does work properly...it's one hell of an epic car with the power, looks and interior to match even some of the best that today has to offer. Long live W211 AMG.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:26 AM

2003 E500 Mercedes
Longevity - Remarkable for MB

Guys its Aug 24 2012 - just had to replace my front battery - my car is a 2003 E500 - manufactured in late summer 2002 - This was the "original" battery - had 34 02 which I interpret means manufactured 34th week of 2002 - ten years is above & beyond expectations and I had replaced the battery in the trunk last April - again the original battery - just short of 9 years. As a result of the longevity, I decided to purchased another MB battery - don't know if I get a repeat, but for $140 plus tax wasn't worth the time for me personally for procuring, filling, charging, etc that came with some of the batteries and Interstate didn't want to warrant the battery, because they didn't have it as an "approved" application and it was $119 - thanks to all who contributed to this thread - oh, followed Vette's procedure for changeout with no problems - just as noted had to reset/synchronize the clock, date, windows, sunroof.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:30 AM

2003 E500 Mercedes
Changeout

Forgot to mention, the changeout took me about 40 minutes - but I have a bad back which slows more to a crawl - a healthy guy could do easily in half this time. Asked the MB dealership (in Mytle Beach, SC) and they wanted to charge $105 (1hr of shop time) for this job which is ridiculous and told them as such . .
Old 09-05-2012, 03:37 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Ugh I get the same message here is the video of what's happening when I start the car https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbBD...yer_detailpage

I replaced the AUX battery, I replaced the CPS and the car still has same message. What should I try to replace next?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:19 PM

2003 E500 Mercedes
Battery Protection Conven Functions Temporarily Unavailable

Originally Posted by selen1um
Ugh I get the same message here is the video of what's happening when I start the car https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbBD...yer_detailpage

I replaced the AUX battery, I replaced the CPS and the car still has same message. What should I try to replace next?
Replaced the 2 batteries in a little over a year from each other. First, the main battery in the trunk was bad and I would receive the malfunction code "Battery Protection Conven Functions Temporarily Unavailable", however did not receive the other malfunction code your getting in conjunction. The red malfunction picture with the picture of a battery "visit workshop" i got only with the front battery as i can recall - i would start by checking voltage of main battery and go from there. hope this helps
Old 09-05-2012, 04:31 PM

2003 E500 Mercedes
2nd Malfunction Code

Originally Posted by jjleonard
Replaced the 2 batteries in a little over a year from each other. First, the main battery in the trunk was bad and I would receive the malfunction code "Battery Protection Conven Functions Temporarily Unavailable", however did not receive the other malfunction code your getting in conjunction. The red malfunction picture with the picture of a battery "visit workshop" i got only with the front battery as i can recall - i would start by checking voltage of main battery and go from there. hope this helps
Looking at the video again - seems the Visit workshop is probably not being counted as a malfunction code and seems you've got possibly something going on possibly with one of your headlight lamps (as your 2nd malfunction) - again, though they could possibly be interconnected if you have low voltage but worth checking your lights as well.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Guy I need help please

So a couple months back I changed the aux battery relay and got rid of the red message etc and all was well. Then a few weeks after, my car died (electrically) again. Main battery had been drained stone dead to 3volts (this after driving it every day that week with no sign of battery power issues at all). Upon inspection, and a jump start, the car fires up, but the little battery doesn't show ~14v like the main battery does, it still shows 12.6 (lol it's been sat dormant for a few weeks now and it's still 12.6!!). I tried another aux battery relay, but when the car started, it still showed 12.6v, so I didn't bother running the car much longer as it's clear there is another fault.

Does this make sense to anybody? When the car is jumpstarted now, the main battery shows ~14v, but the little one shows 12.6 on my 'new' relay and on another one. HELP!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Guy I need help please

So a couple months back I changed the aux battery relay and got rid of the red message etc and all was well. Then a few weeks after, my car died (electrically) again. Main battery had been drained stone dead to 3volts (this after driving it every day that week with no sign of battery power issues at all). Upon inspection, and a jump start, the car fires up, but the little battery doesn't show ~14v like the main battery does, it still shows 12.6 (lol it's been sat dormant for a few weeks now and it's still 12.6!!). I tried another aux battery relay, but when the car started, it still showed 12.6v, so I didn't bother running the car much longer as it's clear there is another fault.

Does this make sense to anybody? When the car is jumpstarted now, the main battery shows ~14v, but the little one shows 12.6 on my 'new' relay and on another one. HELP!
It is still possible the main bat. is internally shorting.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
I'm not really sure man, but all I know (and this from previous experience) is that the little battery is meant to show normal voltage once the car is running. If not, it causes a drain on the big one and causes it to go flat. Whatever it is, it's related to the small one I think...?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I'm not really sure man, but all I know (and this from previous experience) is that the little battery is meant to show normal voltage once the car is running. If not, it causes a drain on the big one and causes it to go flat. Whatever it is, it's related to the small one I think...?
You only measured (at least only reported) the main battery voltage when the engine was running. Did you measure the main battery after switching the engine of (after a while)?

The isolation relay is not always closed when the engine is running. 12.6 V is not that bad for the small battery when it is not charged.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
To be fair, no I didn't....however, the car was happy to perform all the usual lock/unlock, start/stop, start/stop operations after being jumpstarted. Only problem is, after a few hours, it drains fast to the point that if I simply hit the button to unlock it, that's too much for it to handle and it just goes flat again. I'm not getting the red battery/workshop message as I had in August though.

Yeah the small battery seems good at 12.6v. Only problem is that it doesn't jump up to 14v like normal when the engine is running. Apparently the 'new' relay I tried has been tested and works fine, but I don't know how to check this with my voltmeter. I'm guessing I need to connect the pos and neg terminals to a battery and touch the voltmeter terminals on it, but doesn't this one need to be connected to the loom/ecu to operate, or...?
Old 10-01-2012, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E500
Originally Posted by phoenixdragon
Been browsing the MB STAR 2008.

There are several stages for shutdown of consumer devices if the system and aux batteries are low in charge.

The normal voltage is 12.6V or above for the system battery. If it drops to 12.3V, it will show a warning some convenience consumer devices will be shutdown. If it drops to 10.4V, it shuts down the system battery, the aux battery takes over. There is a long list of items to check if there are warnings. The alternator, the system battery, the aux battery, the battery sensor, the relays and fuses.

The recommended procedure is to follow the DAS MB STAR which will invoke the WIS net to diagnose.

What I just seen are ad-hoc methods.
My main battery at standing shows only about 12.0V; at running about 14.0. I don't get any message that some convenience consumer devices will be shutdown; I do have the red visit workshop battery light present.

Wondering if it's just my main going bad or my aux; I'm thinking it's the main at this point...after jumping it 4 times in the past year. I had checked the aux battery disconnected and was getting readings all over the place; thinking maybe my multimeter battery needed changing.

Last edited by spinn; 10-01-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by vettdvr
It is still possible the main bat. is internally shorting.
It is still possible the main bat. is internally shorting

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Red battery message ( Visit workshop)