E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

My install of clear side marker lights...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 E
My install of clear side marker lights...

I wanted to give a couple of tips that I did not find doing a search. Keep in mind that I have a 2009 W211 model. First of all, there is no way in h*ll I could have just popped the factory orange front marker lights out by prying on the back and pulling it out first, then sliding it forwards like one search suggested without breaking something. I went inside the fender well. This area is not hard to get to. First, I turned my wheels towards the inside to make it easier to get to the plastic tabs which I removed. There was the plastic rivet type tab under the front bumper corner and the one lowest on the inner fender well which I removed. I pryed slightly on the plastic inner fender well outwards, and it pulled out from the outer fender where I seen the back of the light - easier to see with a flashlight.
The marker lights are in two pieces. When you get your aftermarket lense, squeeze the tabs together on back which you will see and pop the outer lense from its' plastic housing. Once I did this, I saw that I needed to do the same to remove the factory lense. The outer clear part installs from the outside and the black housing installed from inside the fender. They snapped together with the fender sandwiched in between. Hope this helps someone.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Did this not too long ago, and you're right you can't pop it out from the outside without damaging something I have no idea where that notion came from. Pretty easy but time consuming when you first do it and have to figure this out.

Thanks for the writeup.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 W211 E350 4Matic
where exactly did you get the clear markers for your '09 W211? I have same car, and want to make sure that it is the right size and do not have a space gap or allow leakage into compartment.

thanks!
-M
Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
You will have leaking regardless even on OEM makers - unless you use a sealant on the housing. Best thing to do, however, is use electrical grease in the socket so even if water gets in there (as it is two pieces that fit together) it won't interfere with the bulb. Search W211 facelift side marker lights on eBay and I got them off of there.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Good to see the silicone grease worked for you!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W211
you can pop them off... you have to push them toward the center of the bumper to depress the center clips on the light and just lift it out
Old 04-24-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by Okie-1
I wanted to give a couple of tips that I did not find doing a search. Keep in mind that I have a 2009 W211 model. First of all, there is no way in h*ll I could have just popped the factory orange front marker lights out by prying on the back and pulling it out first, then sliding it forwards like one search suggested without breaking something. I went inside the fender well. This area is not hard to get to. First, I turned my wheels towards the inside to make it easier to get to the plastic tabs which I removed. There was the plastic rivet type tab under the front bumper corner and the one lowest on the inner fender well which I removed. I pryed slightly on the plastic inner fender well outwards, and it pulled out from the outer fender where I seen the back of the light - easier to see with a flashlight.
The marker lights are in two pieces. When you get your aftermarket lense, squeeze the tabs together on back which you will see and pop the outer lense from its' plastic housing. Once I did this, I saw that I needed to do the same to remove the factory lense. The outer clear part installs from the outside and the black housing installed from inside the fender. They snapped together with the fender sandwiched in between. Hope this helps someone.
Glad this worked out for you. Where did you get your clear markers? I bought a set on Ebay and one of them melted and water got in.

Here's my recent post on this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...e-markers.html