E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

HID Conversation Bulb Holder Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 01:29 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
W205, X253, C190, W213,
If I recall correctly, you're the guy who removed the mufflers from your exhaust system and painted your calipers as well. Removing the mufflers will not make it perform better, just make it sound cooler (to you... it's subjective); painting the calipers make them look cooler (to you) but not work better; and installing HID's in halogen housings will make them look cooler (to you) but not perform better. (Actually... in one way or another, each of those modifications affect performance negatively... but I digress.)

I get it... you like the show... and there's nothing wrong with that.

But here you're making claims that are unsubstantiated and anecdotal, and attempting to support them with... well... nothing.

This is a good place to learn about HID lighting, and these threads might help you learn more about HID's:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...uths-and-Myths

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ighlight=legal

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ighlight=legal

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/foru...ative-Articles

Hope that helps...and I'm done here.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
You're one of the most idiotic people I have ever met on this forum. Hands down, just for that. Those are called aesthetic modifications meant to make the car look better, and as a more senior member of this forum every decision I have made has been run by the people that have been around for quite a long time, namely Fila and others. Therefore I am not the only one that thinks these improve the presence of the car. A muffler delete does not negatively impact performance as it is far enough back in the exhaust system that it doesn't lead to any lack of back pressure, which is a highly misunderstood subject when it comes to naturally aspirated engines. Dyno results support my claims on that.

How does painting my calipers affect performance negatively?

And you never provided any links to the HELLA statement saying these are not the same. The projectors are the same part number! Look it up and call the dealership yourself. Therefore, all of the links you have supplied are really invalid as per your argument as I am running HIDs in a housing meant to run HIDs!!! How do you not understand this? The only support you ever provided was a link to a post on a Subaru forum written but someone who can't spell "physics" correctly you really think that's evidence? You cannot possibly tell me that I got HIDs just for show, as they are much brighter and perform better at night in a housing that was built for HIDs - so go ahead and drive around your stock W211 lacking as much personality as you do my friend.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 11-02-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:17 PM

W205, X253, C190, W213,
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
You're one of the most idiotic people I have ever met on this forum. Hands down, just for that. Those are called aesthetic modifications meant to make the car look better, and as a more senior member of this forum every decision I have made has been run by the people that have been around for quite a long time, namely Fila and others. Therefore I am not the only one that thinks these improve the presence of the car. A muffler delete does not negatively impact performance as it is far enough back in the exhaust system that it doesn't lead to any lack of back pressure, which is a highly misunderstood subject when it comes to naturally aspirated engines. Dyno results support my claims on that.

How does painting my calipers affect performance negatively?

And you never provided any links to the HELLA statement saying these are not the same. The projectors are the same part number! Look it up and call the dealership yourself. Therefore, all of the links you have supplied are really invalid as per your argument as I am running HIDs in a housing meant to run HIDs!!! How do you not understand this? The only support you ever provided was a link to a post on a Subaru forum written but someone who can't spell "physics" correctly you really think that's evidence? You cannot possibly tell me that I got HIDs just for show, as they are much brighter and perform better at night in a housing that was built for HIDs - so go ahead and drive around your stock W211 lacking as much personality as you do my friend.
When all else fails, go for the personal attacks. Classy move.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:12 PM

W205, X253, C190, W213,

Last edited by irondad; 11-06-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
I'm quite sure you resorted to the personal attacks way sooner than I did. Actually, just emulating your method of reasoning here. I think this thread is done.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350
Yes there are retaining clips made for HID kits...

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/acc...b-adapter.html

And what AMG is stating is true, these projectors will handle HID bulbs perfectly fine. Its better than the civic you see with HID bulbs installed in REFLECTOR housing.

Last edited by ShinyHypnotoad; 03-03-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
There is no way to be 100% sure above contacting HELLA and Mercedes-Benz corporate and finding someone who would know, but I guarantee you that I have a sharp cutoff with HIDs in the stock projector and there are no visible hotspots in the beam pattern. Either way the difference is likely nominal even if they were different parts that you're correct, much better than reflector housing.