2006 W211 - Warm up??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E500 W211
Question 2006 W211 - Warm up??

Hello,

Im new to MB. I purchased a pre-owned 2006 E500 about a month ago and the car overall is great. I had to have the dealer replace the MAF sensor & throttle body but since those repairs the car has run beautifully.

One thing I have noticed though, is that in the morning, the car runs very rough. If I start the car and proceed to drive, when I take my foot off of the accelerator, the car doesn't have a traditional smooth "coast" , or gradual deceleration, but rather a jerky "coast", almost as if I still have the emergency brake on. Obviously I've checked to make sure the EB is not on when this happens, and it only happens in the morning after the car has been parked all night. However, after I have driven the car for about 10-15 mins, this issue goes away. This doesn't happen at all if I let the car 'warm up', or sit in idle for about 10 mins before taking off.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal & something I should expect for this car or is this a sign of a problem? Just never thought I would have to let a 2006 Benz warm up before driving, but again I'm new to this car so what do I know? lol.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
-PE
Old 07-03-2014, 02:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 C300 Coupe
Welcome to the forum! Lots of great info on here that will help you sort through the various problems you will undoubtedly encounter.

The symptoms you are describing are not normal. Although it's a good idea to let the car warm up for maybe 30 seconds or so, there should not be a "jerky coast" that goes away when the car reaches full operating temp. First steps would be to get the car scanned for error codes and maybe check the transmission fluid level if you are so inclined. The sbc braking system on these cars automaticly applies the brakes at low speeds, like in stop-and-go traffic, and does not let the car coast freely. Takes some getting used to and is normal for thos car. However, it doesn't sound like that is what you're describing. Some more experienced members on here will chime in and give some usefull advice. I'm sure Plutoe will check in soon lol.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:15 PM

2006 E500 W211
Thanks , appreciate it!

The only error codes that came up were for the throttle body & MAF sensor, which were both replaced. I haven't however had the transmission fluid changed or checked the levels, as I figured they did that as a part of their smog & safety process before selling the car to me. I be sure to look at that though.

Thanks again!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:48 PM

640i Gran Coupé
It might be helpful if you posted the mileage of the car when you ask for assistance.

These cars do not need to be warmed up and in fact, they should not be warmed up unless you live in Alaska and the car is parked outside. Just get in it and drive it easy until it gets warmed up.

It does sound like you may have a transmission issue. I would not assume that the seller checked anything. Maybe they checked that the brake lights worked, but probably not much more than that.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:57 PM

2006 E500 W211
Originally Posted by beemer guy
It might be helpful if you posted the mileage of the car when you ask for assistance.

These cars do not need to be warmed up and in fact, they should not be warmed up unless you live in Alaska and the car is parked outside. Just get in it and drive it easy until it gets warmed up.

It does sound like you may have a transmission issue. I would not assume that the seller checked anything. Maybe they checked that the brake lights worked, but probably not much more than that.
109k miles.

What transmission issues would you suspect exist that are temperature related? Because the issue im having definitely is related to the engine being cold vs warmed up. Again the rough coast only happens in the am after the car has been parked overnight, or for extended periods of time, like 6 hrs or more.

Thanks for your help...
Old 07-09-2014, 08:10 AM

640i Gran Coupé
Originally Posted by paulelgin
109k miles.

What transmission issues would you suspect exist that are temperature related?
I wouldn't presume to guess what the issues are. Almost all automatics are going to expose their faults or worn issues when cold, so it's not abnormal, especially with those miles, for it to act differently (better) after it warms up.

It's tough buying a used car, especially if you don't have service history, and then knowing what should be done. Often just a deferred maintenance program (fluid flush) will fix some issues. But then there's the camp that says if the fluid has never been changed by the time the car reaches 70K or so, it's better just to leave it alone.

And there's a limit to what can be diagnosed via a description on a web forum. You're probably better off taking the car to an experience MB mechanic who can actually drive the car. Take it there and tell them to leave it parked overnight and drive it in the morning.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 PM

2006 E500
how to replace a low beam lamp driver side on a 2006 E500. please help
Old 07-13-2014, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
^Bought my car with similar mileage and every W211 owner I know with the 722.6 transmission says its clunky when it's cold, and I fully agree with that. Unless you're having serious shifting/grinding issues or something of the sort I think you're fine. If you're worried take it to a shop that can run diagnostics and pull codes if they exist, they likely wont.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:13 AM

640i Gran Coupé
Originally Posted by cheftony53
how to replace a low beam lamp driver side on a 2006 E500. please help
Do a search, or a general Google search (use keywords like W211, E350, etc.) and you'll find plenty of help. It's not very difficult, but it is a little bit tight and it takes a strong hand to get the bulb fixture to snap back in (at least it did for me).
Old 07-22-2014, 07:58 PM

2006 E500 W211
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
^Bought my car with similar mileage and every W211 owner I know with the 722.6 transmission says its clunky when it's cold, and I fully agree with that. Unless you're having serious shifting/grinding issues or something of the sort I think you're fine. If you're worried take it to a shop that can run diagnostics and pull codes if they exist, they likely wont.
Thanks alot for your input!

I will have it checked out just to be on the safe side but what you've said has made me feel a little better about it, to know that others have experienced the same or similar issue.

BTW, if those are pics of your benz in your signature line, that's hot! Those rims really set it off..
Old 07-22-2014, 07:59 PM

2006 E500 W211
Originally Posted by beemer guy
I wouldn't presume to guess what the issues are. Almost all automatics are going to expose their faults or worn issues when cold, so it's not abnormal, especially with those miles, for it to act differently (better) after it warms up.

It's tough buying a used car, especially if you don't have service history, and then knowing what should be done. Often just a deferred maintenance program (fluid flush) will fix some issues. But then there's the camp that says if the fluid has never been changed by the time the car reaches 70K or so, it's better just to leave it alone.

And there's a limit to what can be diagnosed via a description on a web forum. You're probably better off taking the car to an experience MB mechanic who can actually drive the car. Take it there and tell them to leave it parked overnight and drive it in the morning.
Gotchya. Appreciate the help / input.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by paulelgin
Thanks alot for your input!

I will have it checked out just to be on the safe side but what you've said has made me feel a little better about it, to know that others have experienced the same or similar issue.

BTW, if those are pics of your benz in your signature line, that's hot! Those rims really set it off..
Yes they are, thanks my friend! I was a bit worried too but a friend of mine that recently bought an E55 commented about how "jerky" these transmissions are when it's cold... I'm sure conductor plate or valve body maintenance would help this but it's never really gotten worse on me so I think I'm fine for now