E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Just wanted to share, that I added a w211 to my garage...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Flat badge installed

And, for those interested, the sound shocker from phpaudio.com works perfectly for amplifying bluetooth audio with a mmi 3.5mm cable (connected to a bt dongle/adapter/receiver). Audio levels are the same, if not louder than sd card audio.

Last edited by drexappeal; 09-24-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Wasn't really a mod that was my choice, but was a request that I had to fulfill:

Old 09-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

And a couple shots my cousin took for me today:

Old 09-25-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Originally Posted by samaritrey
All of the w211's have projectors they did slightly update the lights in 07 adding the fins over the turn signal and changed wiring/plugs a little bit.

Keep us updated on what you decide to do I did pop the h7 hid bulbs in the old projectors and they didn't look that bad but I couldn't leave them in long as they got hot and I had to hold them in.

BTW jealous of your color I really wanted another white Mercedes but ended up with silver as it had the best maintenance history I have ever seen.

Trey
If all W211s come with projector headlights, then how come you had to do the retrofit?
Old 09-25-2014, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by JDM_SXE-10
If all W211s come with projector headlights, then how come you had to do the retrofit?
So I had the proper projectors to use Hid bulbs with so I would get the best possible results. The stock H7 projectors in the w211 are not designed for hid bulbs and one it means you can't use really good bulbs such as the CBI's or 85122 bulbs. You are forced to buy aftermarket rebased bulbs which can cause issues. Also the Projector is designed for halogen lights not Hid so that can cause some issues to. So by putting in E55 projectors that are made for D2s bulbs you get a much better beam pattern and the factory look inside the light.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

So I had the proper projectors to use Hid bulbs with so I would get the best possible results. The stock H7 projectors in the w211 are not designed for hid bulbs and one it means you can't use really good bulbs such as the CBI's or 85122 bulbs. You are forced to buy aftermarket rebased bulbs which can cause issues. Also the Projector is designed for halogen lights not Hid so that can cause some issues to. So by putting in E55 projectors that are made for D2s bulbs you get a much better beam pattern and the factory look inside the light.
Rey, what issues come up using a HID kit with the projectors on the car right now? My tech was saying that I should just go with the kit. I was likely to buy the kit from the retrofit source, but your comment has me hesitating now and possibly going with BI-X swap instead.

Is it too much heat internally, in the current projectors? Cause warping?
Old 09-26-2014, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Well the issue is the projectors are designed for halogen lights vs hid lights thats the issue. While it may not be that bad it is usually not the best as they have different lighting characteristics. Depending on your local laws having a visible hid kit can cause issues as well. If you do go Hid kit route I would recommend installing the ballasts on the bottom of the light hidden so it looks OEM under the hood.
TRS is amazing that is where I got my ballasts, projectors, wires and clear lens from. They had a sale on the Ballasts and projectors in the closeout section which is how I did the retrofit for so cheap.
The bulbs I bought from Amazon as they were cheaper be careful if you do go with Philips or Osram most are fake so buy from a reputable company.

Another warning is that the clips used on the w211 make it hard to used a hid kit as they have to be cut which is easier said then done. I tired and failed with all the tools in my garage (if you are determined though you can do it). I also bought the adapters that are pre cut but the ones that said would work were a little different shape and I couldn't get to fit secure enough to trust.

If you want the best information I would check out HIDplanet they know what they are doing and have done crazy retrofits and lots of information about why hid kits in non hid headlights projectors and reflector style (obviously reflector style with hid kit is really bad and they should all be shot)

Last edited by samaritrey; 09-26-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Well the issue is the projectors are designed for halogen lights vs hid lights thats the issue. While it may not be that bad it is usually not the best as they have different lighting characteristics. Depending on your local laws having a visible hid kit can cause issues as well. If you do go Hid kit route I would recommend installing the ballasts on the bottom of the light hidden so it looks OEM under the hood.
TRS is amazing that is where I got my ballasts, projectors, wires and clear lens from. They had a sale on the Ballasts and projectors in the closeout section which is how I did the retrofit for so cheap.
The bulbs I bought from Amazon as they were cheaper be careful if you do go with Philips or Osram most are fake so buy from a reputable company.

Another warning is that the clips used on the w211 make it hard to used a hid kit as they have to be cut which is easier said then done. I tired and failed with all the tools in my garage (if you are determined though you can do it). I also bought the adapters that are pre cut but the ones that said would work were a little different shape and I couldn't get to fit secure enough to trust.

If you want the best information I would check out HIDplanet they know what they are doing and have done crazy retrofits and lots of information about why hid kits in non hid headlights projectors and reflector style (obviously reflector style with hid kit is really bad and they should all be shot)
Rey, you're talking as if you don't know me or where I live... LOL. You know me. Although, I probably will have my tech install, since he had done many HID installs. I was planning on just getting the full kit with canbus cancelling from TRS.

So, in essence, the issue isn't necessarily a heat issue, it's more a cutoff issue. I understand exactly what they are talking about. My main goal is just to get better light output than the oem halogen. As long as the issue didn't involve the halogen projectors having issues with heat, I don't mind not having it "ideal." I wouldn't necessarily count that as an issue.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Does anybody know, if this clip should be tucked behind the grille or if this is where it is supposed to be :

Just wanted to share, that I added a w211 to my garage...-20140927_102637.jpg