E240 W211 advise please - Merc Newbie

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E240 W211 2004
E240 W211 advise please - Merc Newbie

Hi guys.... and gals.
So I recently bought a Mercedes E240 2003 model and totally love it. The dealer done some work on it for me before it was passed by COR (like control arms, brakes, lights etc). I have tinted the windows and had it Glazed as well, not to mention a valet. I now have to change the power steering pump and its making a huge noise. I have already ordered one and a mech form Mercedes will install it for me.

What I have noticed is a vibration at 2000rpm and sometimes jerking. This happens when drive slow. Also it feels like a delay when putting my foot flat on the accelerator. My guess is the transmission mounting needs to be changed. Does anyone have any ideas?

The clock is on 270 000km.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:59 PM

W211 E350
Firstly congrats on your acquisition, and I trust that you will enjoy your driving experience as much as I am mine.

I had a similar problem, and the dealer diagnostic showed fault codes relating to the catalytic converters which the were happy to charge me $3k for.

I had my personal tech run a diagnostic test, and it presented the same fault codes, and confirmed the car was misfiring. First we serviced the car, then did some other diagnostics which revealed the cause of the fault codes to be the oxygen sensors.

The faulty sensors resulted in a rich mixture, which in turn fouled up the plugs and resulted in the misfiring. Got new sensors installed today, and she's driving like a dream. This could be your problem as well, but you will need to do the diagnostic to check.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:59 AM

E240 W211 2004
Thanks for the reply. I have done a complete diagnostic check and there were no faults, besides one park light. I suspect the vibrations from a worn transmission mount? But i first need to change my power steering pump as that is making a loud noise and the steering is becoming tight. The car was recently serviced as well but I dont know what was changed.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Congratulations! In what country are you located? I ask because those ar the same wheels that came on my Die Cast Metal model of the W211. (Also because I see you have R Hand Drive)
Old 12-17-2014, 10:31 AM

E240 W211 2004
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Congratulations! In what country are you located? I ask because those ar the same wheels that came on my Die Cast Metal model of the W211. (Also because I see you have R Hand Drive)
Hi, Im from South Africa and yes we all use Right hand Drives here. My Power Steering pump just arrived today so Im eager to change that. I noticed that the back of the car seemed lower than the front so I took it for a test and they said that the "springs" and shocks need to be changed.