E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

click sound from drive shaft"with video"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211
click sound from drive shaft"with video"

when i try to move the front drive shaft, it says click, and the rear part of the drive shaft, dont move, so i think that my u-joint is bad, what you think???
Old 04-27-2015, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Originally Posted by larsianer
when i try to move the front drive shaft, it says click, and the rear part of the drive shaft, dont move, so i think that my u-joint is bad, what you think???
Drive shaft problems - YouTube
are you trying to rotate the shaft, or moving it back and forth?

Last edited by cmriv; 04-27-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:11 PM

w211
Originally Posted by cmriv
are you trying to rotate the shaft, or moving it back and forth?
I am trying to rotate it..
Old 04-27-2015, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am trying to rotate it..
With all four wheels on the ground right?
Old 04-27-2015, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
There are not front and rear universal joints. Its has flex disc. There is a center joint and carrier bearing. If you pull the driveshaft for a repairs you should replace the front and rear flex disc, center carrier bearing and mount with bushing. I did this on my e500. It requires removing the exhaust system too.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

front and rear flex discs, replace when cracked/seperated AKA visual inspection, not everytime your drive shaft is removed... Your center support bearing, which supports your driveshaft will be noisy in the cabin, sounds like a internal transmission issue/ritational noise. Cant really explain the nosie more then that.... and that clicking noise in the video, if in fact your cars in park, is normal. the transmission is locked (in park) and you are trying to rotate the output shaft.... so it clicks...

Last edited by cmriv; 04-27-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
front and rear flex discs, replace when cracked/seperated AKA visual inspection, not everytime your drive shaft is removed... Your center support bearing, which supports your driveshaft will be noisy in the cabin, sounds like a internal transmission issue/ritational noise. Cant really explain the nosie more then that.... and that clicking noise in the video, if in fact your cars in park, is normal. the transmission is locked (in park) and you are trying to rotate the output shaft.... so it clicks...

Changing flex disc when the driveshaft is out saves time, money and labor in the future. The disc already have to be removed to remove the driveshaft so what point is there in putting an old part back with so much time invested in labor. Its the same as if a manual transmission is pulled out for repair you should always replace the clutch and pressure plate to save time and money in the future.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:10 AM

w211
I have new flex discs,i will try to remove the drive shaft today.but i think my u-joint is bad, i will try to explain in better english, when i try to turn the forward part of the shaft,only the forward shaft moves, the rear part of the shaft dont move, so i think it is some free play in the u-joint.the car has all 4 wheels on the ground.i can move the forward part of the drive shaft about 1cm,before the rear shaft engages.and the click sound is from where to u-joint are located.are there much work to change the u-joint, and do i need to balance the driveshaft after changing the u-joints.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by homeofstone
Changing flex disc when the driveshaft is out saves time, money and labor in the future. The disc already have to be removed to remove the driveshaft so what point is there in putting an old part back with so much time invested in labor. Its the same as if a manual transmission is pulled out for repair you should always replace the clutch and pressure plate to save time and money in the future.
If it isn't broke, don't fix it... The labor that goes into replace a flywheel and clutch is incomparable to the labor that goes into replacing a flex disc. Considering you don't need to even remove the drive to replace flex discs on these cars make me wonder if you truly understand where i'm coming from. With that said, i personally have never upsold selling two new flex discs i'f i knew i was going to be removing and or getting the drive shaft out of my way, unless they are visibly damaged or noisy, which in this case is possible, so yeah replace if necessary. Just my personal opinion and two cents though.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have new flex discs,i will try to remove the drive shaft today.but i think my u-joint is bad, i will try to explain in better English, when i try to turn the forward part of the shaft,only the forward shaft moves, the rear part of the shaft dont move, so i think it is some free play in the u-joint.the car has all 4 wheels on the ground.i can move the forward part of the drive shaft about 1cm,before the rear shaft engages.and the click sound is from where to u-joint are located.are there much work to change the u-joint, and do i need to balance the drive-shaft after changing the u-joints.
If your car is on the ground and in park you will not be able to tell if your flex discs are bad based on just rotating. The cars in park so in reality the drive-shaft wont rotate. And the minor back and forth play you are feeling/hearing is normal operation...

Last edited by cmriv; 04-28-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:35 AM

w211
If your car is on the ground and in park you will not be able to tell if your flex discs are bad based on just rotating. The cars in park so in reality the drive-shaft wont rotate.
Thanks for reply, i know that i cant rotate the driveshaft when it is in park, the problem is that i can rotate the drivehsaft part nr 1,and the part nr 2 dont move, before i have rotated it about 1cm..so that why i am thinking that the u-joint is bad.

btw:my flex disc have cracks beside the screw mounts, so they are bad.

Sorry for my bad english..

Lars
Attached Thumbnails click sound from drive shaft"with video"-driveshaft.jpg  

Last edited by larsianer; 04-28-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for reply, i know that i can rotate the driveshaft when it is in park, the problem is that i can rotate the drivehsaft part nr 1,and the part nr 2 dont move, before i have rotated it about 1cm..so that why i am thinking that the u-joint is bad.

btw:my flex disc have cracks beside the screw mounts, so they are bad.

Sorry for my bad english..

Lars
It's all good man! no worries. Yes, if you see cracks around your flex disc where your bolts go through for sure replace it.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Looking for an R129
Good grief, this is from 2015 and no resolution? Not even I sold the darn car because I gave up on finding the problem? Nothing?!?

Anyway, the u-joint once you have the drive shaft is easy to check. Twist the two shafts in opposite directions and check for play. Also, align the shafts closely, and feel for a flat spot near center. If it's there, replace the u-joint. Anyway, for my 2005 W211, the u-joint is staked in place so replacing it becomes a challenge. I opted to purchase a drive shaft second hand and have driveshaft shop cut off existing yokes and weld on ones which accept replacement u-joints (circlips or e-clips at each of the four u-joint needle bearing cups). All this 'just' in case there is a next time.

Last thing, unless you replaced the flex joints six months ago, 'I' would replace them like the other guy said, any time the driveshaft is in your hands because they're inexpensive . . . and do you really want to take up this job again soon?