E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Air Conditioner blows hot, but then cold if turn off and on?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 4matic sedan
I had almost the same problem. My compressor was bad. So I just replaced it myself. Car is just out of warrenty. It was not really a hard job becuas I am an HVAC tech anyway I kinda knew how it works. But i have a question and thought maybe some on this thread could help me. Now that i replaced the compressor the AC and Max air lights just blink and will not blow out cold air. The only thing I can come up with is that I have to reset something to make it work again cause I see when things go bad the ac goes into a fault so not to ruin anything. Do any of you know how to reset this? thank you
Old 08-16-2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by justin218
That is really interesting, I actually am on my original battery (nearly 8 years old now) and am going to replace it this week. I've noticed the engine has been struggling to turn over occasionally and figured its time.
So I changed my battery but it hasn't made a difference with my AC issue. AC sometimes blows hot, but if I rev the engine up it will blow cold.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:54 AM

S550 2012, S550 2007
Originally Posted by Jt Adams
I have a 2011 S550 and my A/C does the same thing. When I start the car and the A/C is on it will first blow hot air out the vents, but shortly after starting the car the cold air comes in.... I didn't know others were having this same problem.
Does it blow hot air only from one vent while all the others are blowing cold air?
Have you figured out what the problem was?
My dealer can't seem to find the problem
Old 06-14-2018, 08:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 E500 AMG Appearance Pkg
Originally Posted by justin218
I've had this problem with my AC for a few months now:

Turn car on, AC will blow hot. I'll turn off the AC, then turn it back on. This will then maybe work, or I'll have to do it a couple times, but eventually the cold air just starts coming out. Like it was cold the whole time but not being diverted right.

Unfortunately its at the point where its being very finicky to blowing cold though.

Could this be the changeover/heater valve problem as in this great DIY https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...rol-valve.html ?

Thanks for any help or ideas!
Did you eventually find out what causes the intermittent AC? I have been dealing with what I think is the same issue and today I am no longer okay with it since its getting disgustingly hot..
Feels like the AC only works at night when I do not need it or if I park in the shade. I will see if its the battery which was the most interesting comment which does make sense because usually after
driving around for 15 minutes with hot air blowing at me in 105 degree weather the cold air starts to make its way through the vents. It could be that the battery is sufficiently charged at that point and AC function is allowed to operate. I hope that is what it is, I will report back if successful.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:37 AM

GLK250
Hi Efonz & other MBWorld friends

Any solutions for the thread discussed, I’m driving GLK 250 in the desert and imagine the AC Is blowing hot air when the outside temperature is 45 - 50 C

This happens only when I park the car under sun & take it out
if it’s parked under shade I’m not facing this issue

Regards
Aravind

Originally Posted by efonz
Did you eventually find out what causes the intermittent AC? I have been dealing with what I think is the same issue and today I am no longer okay with it since its getting disgustingly hot..
Feels like the AC only works at night when I do not need it or if I park in the shade. I will see if its the battery which was the most interesting comment which does make sense because usually after
driving around for 15 minutes with hot air blowing at me in 105 degree weather the cold air starts to make its way through the vents. It could be that the battery is sufficiently charged at that point and AC function is allowed to operate. I hope that is what it is, I will report back if successful.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:38 PM

W211 E200 2007
Originally Posted by Aravind2090
Hi Efonz & other MBWorld friends

Any solutions for the thread discussed, I’m driving GLK 250 in the desert and imagine the AC Is blowing hot air when the outside temperature is 45 - 50 C

This happens only when I park the car under sun & take it out
if it’s parked under shade I’m not facing this issue

Regards
Aravind
I had the exact same issue. I took it to workshop and got my compressor replaced 2 weeks ago. It's working fine since then.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E270 cdi 2004
How much did you pay for compressor?
Old 05-07-2019, 09:00 AM

W211 E200 2007
Originally Posted by Azeem
How much did you pay for compressor?
I'm in Pakistan, I found one attached to imported Benz engine in PKR 30k alongwith labor cost.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E270 cdi 2004
Thanks. That is why I asked.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:26 PM

2001 C320
Originally Posted by efonz

Did you ever figure out what this was? I was told it could be faulty Evaporator Temp Sensor. I am having same exact issue except when it is really hot my dash is reading 185 degrees and sometimes the battery /alternator light will come on and my high beams stay on automatically? Strange. I had my compressor replaced 4 years ago so I don't think it would be that, any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2022, 04:52 PM

So following up on this manyyy years later... woops. But all I had to do was suck some r134a with a lubricant in it into the system and it has been working just fine for years now. Seems like the AC compressor just couldn't get started sometimes, and now that it's lubricated, it's just fine. But it was specifically a can that had the lubricant in it too, not just normal r134a.