Stuttering transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 4 Matic
Stuttering transmission?

Hi, all.

I have a 2004 E500 4matic with 126K miles that is experiencing what I think is a transmission problem. The best way I can describe it is that it "stutters." It's not a hesitation/surging feeling, and it generally isn't audible (though on a few occasions I've heard a sort of growling/grinding noise accompany it). Rather, I can feel it, mostly through the accelerator and seat of my pants. It feels a little like driving over the rumble strips ahead of a toll booth, or the lane departure grooves on the side of a highway, at slower than highway speeds.

The condition is most prevalent and reproducible when accelerating mildly, usually uphill, at between 40-55 mph and 1500-1800 RPM.

I experienced similar, though milder, symptoms once before, about 8 months ago, and a transmission flush seemed to have corrected it. Now it's back, this time with a vengeance. With its return so soon, I'm worried now that it's much more than a problem of old, dirty transmission fluid.

I've searched and read about a certain coolant contamination issue with some W211s, but my sense is that the symptoms of that problem are different. Can anyone offer ideas on a diagnosis, directions for further evaluation, and/or a solution?

Thank you,
Mark
Old 08-26-2015, 09:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Your symptoms like others without faults typically are very hard to correctly diagnose. The process is not cheap, however, I would visit a good transmission shop, let him drive the car around and maybe pull the pan and look for swarf size and fluid smell--ain't easy!!
Old 08-26-2015, 10:15 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
I had similar symptoms with my transmission. A full flush 7+ liters and new conductor plate fixed it. I got a code for the conductor plate, something about speed values and I think causing a lockup of the torque converter.

Also not exactly sure where both your oil and tranny dipsticks are, but mine are behind the engine near the same spot. So just let whoever looks at you car know where the tranny dipstick is. I went to a few places where I was told tranny oil was black and told me I need a new one. In fact they went down the engine oil tube.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:58 AM

2004 E500 4 Matic
Originally Posted by Plutoe
...let him drive the car around and maybe pull the pan and look for swarf size and fluid smell--ain't easy!!
Thanks, Plutoe.

"Swarf size?" I'm not familiar with that term. Can you elaborate? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I no doubt did not spell the word correctly however it is defined as the very small metal and non metal material that collects on and around the pan magnets(normal ware and tare)----you see the material when you remove the pan and fluid.

If there are large(all relative) pieces of metal---that is not good,however if it is pumice in size that is considered normal ware and tare!!

That is why when removing the conductor plate the solenoids should also be removed and with a pencil magnet clean any metal contamination trapped by the individual solenoid filter---time consuming and that is why the weekend ******* can't believe the transmission repair estimates---labor ain't cheap---we ain't picken olives!!
Old 08-26-2015, 05:18 PM

2004 E500 4 Matic
Originally Posted by Plutoe
I no doubt did not spell the word correctly however it is defined as the very small metal and non metal material that collects on and around the pan magnets(normal ware and tare)----you see the material when you remove the pan and fluid.

If there are large(all relative) pieces of metal---that is not good,however if it is pumice in size that is considered normal ware and tare!!

That is why when removing the conductor plate the solenoids should also be removed and with a pencil magnet clean any metal contamination trapped by the individual solenoid filter---time consuming and that is why the weekend ******* can't believe the transmission repair estimates---labor ain't cheap---we ain't picken olives!!
Thanks, Plutoe, for explaining so thoroughly. Unfortunately, my familiarity with the inner workings of an MB transmission is virtually nonexistent, so nearly all of it went over my head! ...except for the last bit about why it ain't going to be cheap (unfortunately).
Old 08-26-2015, 05:22 PM

2004 E500 4 Matic
Originally Posted by MercFiveHundred
I had similar symptoms with my transmission. A full flush 7+ liters and new conductor plate fixed it. I got a code for the conductor plate, something about speed values and I think causing a lockup of the torque converter.
Merc, would it be rude of me to ask what your repair bill was. I'm trying to get a sense if whether this could cost me hundreds or thousands.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-27-2015, 04:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
Originally Posted by mgzych
Merc, would it be rude of me to ask what your repair bill was. I'm trying to get a sense if whether this could cost me hundreds or thousands.

Thanks,
Mark
Plutoe's advice is the best you'll get on here and he's right, it ain't cheap. I think what's more concerning is finding a reputable shop than can correctly diagnose and repair. Make sure you have the codes read by STAR Mercedes diagnostic software and have a print out of all the fault codes before you start anything. However, i performed most of the repair myself searching on the internet saving me lots of money. But look to spend at least $500+ for the parts and service.

I would also like for you to try disconnect the battery then reconnect after a few minutes. Then take a drive and see if it still happens. After I did this my symptoms would go away and come back the next day in which I suspected might just be a sensor.

I would rule out glycol contamination by sending a transmission oil sample to Blackstone. It unlikely as I've read this issue would happen at around 40k miles.

And one last point, I had my transmission issue at 110k miles and I drove it like that for about 10k miles more until I fixed it - cause money was also short for me back then. I now have 255k and still kicking. So if you plan on keeping the car for a while, you'll be glad you did.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 Black E320
For turds and laughs I drained my tranny, replaced the filter and gasket, and replaced the connector. It wasn't difficult. I did it in late June. In a few weeks I will replace the conductor plate and clean solenoid filters. I read a lot and watched youtube vids. I paid cash for the car in spring. If I break it then I learned what not to do. Inversely, by doing it myself I know exactly what repairs were made.

Cheers
Old 09-18-2015, 12:33 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 ML320, 2005 E320 CDI
Had a shudder as well. Flushed the tranny and it went away.